View Full Version : Developers, Developers, Developers

Andy Sjostrom
02-23-2004, 09:07 AM
With this title, phrased after a certain well-known event, I hope to attract as many developers as possible. Check out these news!<br /><br />OpenNETCF has released the first version of their open source <a href="http://www.opennetcf.org/smartdeviceframework.asp">Smart Device Framework v1.0</a>. The framework enriches and extends the .NET Compact Framework by providing a rich set of classes and controls not available in the .NET Compact Framework. This framework is a must have if you develop .NET Compact Framework applications. Project Contributors are mainly Neil Cowburn (eMVP), Chris Tacke (eMVP), Peter Foot (eMVP), Alex Yakhnin (eMVP), Alex Feinman (eMVP), Tim Wilson (eMVP), Maarten Struys (eMVP), Paul Tobey (eMVP), Elia Karagiannis and Mark Arteaga. Pretty much the dream team of developers.<br /><br />On the subject of "must haves". Resco has released new versions of <a href="http://www.resco-net.com/developer/advancedlist/default.asp">resco AdvancedList for .NET CF</a> and <a href="http://www.resco-net.com/developer/detailview/default.asp">resco DetailView for .NET CF</a>.<br /><br />Major features of resco AdvancedList for .NET CF:<br />• Proper substitution for DataGrid and ListView <br />• Preview/Detail usage — less space, more information. <br />• Master-Detail usage — different data in the same list. <br />• Various cell types — displaying text, images, hyperlinks in one data row. <br />• Database support — easy work with SQLCE databases. <br />• XML templates — save the layout of the control and load it in the runtime. <br />• Powerful Designer — easy design, new usage opportunities. <br />• Comprehensive Help — fully integrated to Visual Studio .NET environment. <br />• Various Samples — written in VB &amp; C#, describing a usage in different situations. <br /><br />Major features of resco DetailView for .NET CF.<br />• An alternative way of creating Detail Forms <br />• Designer support — easy to set up in design-time. <br />• Run-time support — create/modify your detail forms in run-time. <br />• Data binding support — for simple work with data. <br />• Various control types — ComboBox, DateTime Picker, CheckBox, Numeric, Link/Button. <br />• Paging support — distribute detailed information to more pages to avoid scrolling. <br />• XML templates — save the layout of the control and load it in the runtime. <br />• Powerful Designer — easy design, new usage opportunities. <br />• Comprehensive Help — fully integrated to Visual Studio .NET environment. <br />• Various Samples — written in VB &amp; C#, describing a usage in different situations.<br /><br />Finally, Hood Canal Systems has released <a href="http://www.hoodcanalsystems.com/products.htm">Signature Capture Control version 3.0</a> for the .NET Compact Framework. The control adds digital signature capture capabilities to .NET Compact Framework applications. The new version really boosts performance over previous versions.<br /><br />This week is off to a great start!

Jonathan1
02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/balmer.html

:D

Sorry, your title gave me a flashback of this movie I ran across about 3 months ago.

On Topic: Since this is a superset, if I understand correctly, of .NET and isn't Microsoft based couldn't this have the ability of confusing people? I keep getting horrid flashbacks of my times trying to deal with Linux and prerequisite installs before I could install the program I wanted to. Admittedly this is only one install but..... :?

Andy Sjostrom
02-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Sorry, your title gave me a flashback of this movie I ran across about 3 months ago.

Yes! As I wrote: "phrased after a certain well-known event"... 8)
I love Ballmer's energy.

gohtor
02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I tried opennetcf's gdi functions. it's pretty nice that it's opensource. I would definately use this.

nGage
02-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Andy, I think these types of stories don't tend to get a lot of feedback, so I thought I'd just post a message of appreciation.

I click around to Thoughts at least a couple of times a day, and as a relative newcomer to the .NET CF, I am happy to know there are people like you (and the amazing group responsible for the OpenNETCF SD Framework!) that help make my life a little easier.

I am very optimistic about where the .NET CF is going, and having done some earlier development in both eVB and eVC++, I can honestly say, thank goodness for Studio.NET and the .NET CF. What a cleanup job! The .NET CF saved me from having to work out how to get ATL, WTL and MFC to all play nice with each other, and instead let me get on with building my applications. I think this all bodes well for the future of development on these devices.

Thanks again, for keeping us posted.

Flynn Arrowstarr
02-27-2004, 10:44 PM
I downloaded the SDF the first day it went public. :) While I hadn't participated in the beta, I was salivating at the possibilities the library would open up (especially since I had been using several of their libraries -- WinAPI and CSV -- previously). To have everything rolled up into one neat package with a ton of bells and whistles is just icing on the cake. :mrgreen:

Flynn

Flynn Arrowstarr
02-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Since this is a superset, if I understand correctly, of .NET and isn't Microsoft based couldn't this have the ability of confusing people? I keep getting horrid flashbacks of my times trying to deal with Linux and prerequisite installs before I could install the program I wanted to. Admittedly this is only one install but..... :?
- Jonathan1

I think it's up to the developers to make certain people are aware of any requirements. Certainly I would make sure my users know they need NetCF and SDF before installing -- generally on the download page as well as in the system requirements.

But sometimes it's not spelled out very clear on the website or in the readme files. :( I cringe when I go to install a program for any system, follow the instructions, and only find out when it fails that I need to install some other library first. Clear communication is very important :D

Flynn