View Full Version : Which Of These Looks Best?

Pony99CA
02-22-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking of changing the color scheme on my Web site. Which do you like best -- the old black/blue on gray (http://www.svpocketpc.com) or the new yellow on black (http://www.svpocketpc.com/svvgppc-inv.html).

Vote for your favorite and let me know why.

Thanks,
Steve

Kevin C. Tofel
02-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Steve,

I voted for the new one.....looks bolder and "edgy"......

KCT

Steven Cedrone
02-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I voted for the old layout. Why you ask? Because I'm used to it! No real reason other than that! :wink:

surur
02-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Disregard the one vote for the old site, I clicked the wrong one by accident. The new colors look much nicer.

Surur

Kevin C. Tofel
02-22-2004, 03:58 PM
I voted for the old layout. Why you ask? Because I'm used to it! No real reason other than that! :wink:

Ah....those Harleysville folks.....never ones to embrace change, like us progressive people in Telford...... :wink:

KCT

Jacob
02-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I voted for the old one. I'm not a big fan of yellow text - I find it harder to read for some reason.

ironguy
02-22-2004, 05:29 PM
My favorite colors...

I personally dislike the following colors:
Orange
Green
Yellow

I think they should stay in places like fruit, trees, and such.

morgan_rhys
02-22-2004, 06:33 PM
My favorite colors...

I personally dislike the following colors:
Orange
Green
Yellow

I think they should stay in places like fruit, trees, and such.

I agree completely!
Yellow text always drives my eyes nuts after awhile.

dean_shan
02-22-2004, 07:24 PM
I voted for the old one. I'm not a big fan of yellow text - I find it harder to read for some reason.

Same reason for my vote. The new one is just a little too brite for me. But it's not my site, you can do what you want.

nice_micael
02-22-2004, 08:10 PM
The new one :D

mountainguy
02-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey Guys, I voted for the older one. It looked excellent, easy to read, a bit of a classic. The newer one looked to me like you had had a fight at a hot dog stand and the mustard bottle had gotten out of control and one. Mustard yellow is made for glancing at something, not reading.

Good luck, mate, thanks for asking!

Kenn

ctmagnus
02-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Yellow is only good for bananas, lemons and mustard.

Applianceman
02-23-2004, 01:55 AM
I prefer the old colors, easier to read and on eyes for me :D

Palm Cow
02-23-2004, 02:42 AM
My CRT likes the old one more. My Toshiba likes it more too :D.

Aerestis
02-23-2004, 03:14 AM
I liked it more when it was purple. :D

I am a fan of the new one

pdaided
02-23-2004, 04:05 AM
No vote, I like them both. I just wanted to tell you this was a brilliant marketing ploy. Yes , I visit your site.

pdaided

Steven Cedrone
02-23-2004, 04:23 AM
Steve's site has, without a doubt, the most comprehensive listing of links to Pocket PC related sites. An absolute "bookmark" site!

Steve

T-Will
02-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Ow...the yellow on black hurts my eyes...

JustinGTP
02-23-2004, 06:12 AM
Yes, the yellow is hard to read and annoys my eyes. I prefer the old one.

Do you plan on giving your site a make over? Kind of like Tek n Toys - they had a similar looking site to yours and now it looks amazing!

Lots of information though - maybe now you have to focus on the asthetics?

-Justin.

Pony99CA
02-23-2004, 09:45 AM
The new one is just a little too brite for me. But it's not my site, you can do what you want.
Yes, I know, but the Web is about communication. If I make a change that people think sucks and they stop visiting the site, there's no communication.

The reason I was asking is because, during my 20,000th visitor contest, I accidentally selected a screen shot of my site, which inverted the current image and gave me something similar to the new look I'm testing.

I thought it looked very cool, but cool isn't everything. I realized it might be too garish for some people, and want to get a sense of that.

Steve

Pony99CA
02-23-2004, 10:03 AM
No vote, I like them both. I just wanted to tell you this was a brilliant marketing ploy. Yes , I visit your site.
:lol: It wasn't a marketing ploy -- really. My 20,000th visitor contest was the marketing ploy. ;) Information about the contest got posted on many Pocket PC sites that I visit; this poll was only posted here and on pocketnow -- the two sites that I visit the most.

Besides, what do I have to market? I don't sell anything or have any affiliate links. I used to have Google ads, but had to take them down because Google wanted me to get permission from my ISP to run ads, even though I own the domain. I do have a donation button on some of the pages, but a grand total of two people have contributed.

Fortunately, I didn't put the site up to make money; it started because my Pocket PC bookmark list was getting too big, so I thought making it a Web page would allow better organization. Once I did that, I figured I might as well share it for others to benefit from.

Of course, if anybody wants to donate something, they do get listed in the Hall of Fame (http://hall.svpocketpc.com). :mrgreen:

Steve

Pony99CA
02-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Steve's site has, without a doubt, the most comprehensive listing of links to Pocket PC related sites. An absolute "bookmark" site!

Thanks, Steve. The check's in the mail. :beer: :way to go:

Steve

Pony99CA
02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Do you plan on giving your site a make over? Kind of like Tek n Toys - they had a similar looking site to yours and now it looks amazing!

Lots of information though - maybe now you have to focus on the asthetics?

There's always more information to put up. The new navigation tables at the tops and bottoms of the pages, along with the possibility of the new color scheme, is the makeover. :) I may move the download and links sections to separate pages to make the home page load more quickly, but I haven't decided on that yet.

I hand-code the site using HTML, so, in many ways, it's a mid-90s style of site -- lots of text, very few graphics. That does have one benefit, though -- the site is very Pocket PC-friendly (the new navigation tables do require a little horizontal scrolling to see the right-most entries, but all of the content is flowed well, I think).

Tek n Toys has a different agenda -- to make money -- so they want a site that's both visually appealing (to make themselves look more "professional") and informative. That's not a bad thing, of course, but it's not really something I'm that interested in doing.

I'm lazy, and prefer making small tweaks, as opposed to massive overhauls. :) (The new color scheme basically involved inverting my background graphic and making some minor changes to the style sheet.)

Steve

Pony99CA
04-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Because the old scheme won, but there was significant support for the new scheme, too (including me), I've decided to allow both. :-)

If you go to the Preferences page (http://prefs.svpocketpc.com) on my site, you can choose either color scheme, or a new Clean scheme with no background graphics. You will need a browser that supports JavaScript, cookies and Cascading Style Sheets (most modern browsers do).

I've also improved the layout for Pocket PCs. 8-)

Steve