View Full Version : Pharos, Non-player with POI's

woffles
02-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Well, I recently upgraded to the newest version of Ostia(version 6). Software wise it is a very good system in my opinion. Seems to do a good job of routing. It's gotten a little fussy about street names when trying to input them. Doesn't always agree on the same name as what I give it. Also the maps are a little dated. Missing areas of where I live. I contacted them and they quickly replied that updates were coming soon. My big complaint is with their decision to not include Points of Interest(POIs). This will probably keep me from buying any further upgrades to their software and have me trying another brand. I purchased a one month trial of their internet access to POIs to test it. I am going on a cross country trip soon and wanted to have POIs along the way. Figured I'd download them in advance, pain in the butt but doable(NOT). You cannot download along a route, only for the origin, GPS location or destination. I don't have an ethernet cable 600 miles long so I won't have internet access while enroute. I tried to pick towns I might stop in but as soon as you download POIs for a new area you lose the ones you previously downloaded. So, basically it's useless, unless you have constant internet access. One last thing, I assumed that since I was downloading them it would be the latest information. Wrong again. This is just the teleatlas data that they stripped from their maps and are charging you seperately to use. It showed a restaraunt near my house that moved over a year ago and has since closed down and another that has been there for at least 6 months didn't show up. I really hope they rethink this and put the POI's back into the program. Their are too many other competitors to be able to survive this way. If anybody has different opinions on this I'd be glad to hear them. Better yet, I'd like to hear opinions on other software that you use for GPS. Again this would be excellent software if it had the POI's in it.

Jeff