View Full Version : A previously undying question takes a step onto the mortal coil, tonight.

Aerestis
02-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Is apple hardware better than pc hardware? I don't know.
Can you ask the genie for more wishes? I don't know that either.
Will there be life off of earth? Well... besides when we go out in spaceships.

How about this one...

Is palm hardware better than ppc hardware? I think I know.

Tonight, after a month of frequent but not excessive use, my palm's touch detecting stopped working altogether. It won't respond at all to my stylus at all, whether it's a super soft touch or a good solid poke. I was always so good to the little thing too, there's no reason this should have happened.

Before this palm, I had... this palm. But in between there, I got a trade-in, because my current palm wasn't working properly (navi-buttons). Well, the trade in had a terrible screen and the buttons were the same.

I looked for solutions to this problem, and all I found was more people saying "My palm broke." But I didn't find much "My ppc broke.", when I became curious about stepping over to the other side. In fact, all I ever saw was stuff where people were simply not meant for computers and couldn't get the thing to turn on. Or perhaps the occasional card reading issue, something. Nothing like screens not working or buttons not working.

I might just say that I am definitely getting a ppc next time. I came far too close to having a heart attack tonight, and I am really upset with palm. I hope Staples will replace on my two year warranty, I'm sure they will. But to be honest, my hardware difficulties have been too much. I don't want to trade. I like the way it looks more than a ppc, I like the way it feels, and I like how fast it is. But I'm not willing to pay three hundred CAD$ for a month of extreme fun and feeling like the coolest guy alive. It's just not enough. I hope clear-type works in PocketWord.

Jon Westfall
02-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I used to think Palm was the best thing ever... then I got a PPC - while my hardware still worked, it was losing functionality (i.e. responsiveness, battery life) much faster than any PPC I've had/used.

The Dark Side of PPC's is deffinetly where I will stay.

Jon.

Anthony Caruana
02-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I've had a few different PPCs (and before that Palm size PCs and clam shell type Windows CE devices)

My 2210 is the first one that has had any hardware issues. About a month after getting ti the navigation pad failed and the speaker jack was really crackly. IUt was replaced, noquestions asked by HP, and hasn't missed a beat since.

The support was excellent. New device was couriered to my home. I had a couple of days to backup my broken device and then a courier came a cople of days later to collect the defective unit.

Other than that slight hiccup, my PPCs have een close to bullet proof (and I thiunk my Jornada 548 may have actually been bullet proof :-) )

whatsnext?
02-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Yep i have used a friends palm and i hated it. Yeah i think that you could shoot the j548 and it wouldn't do more than put a small dent in it. AND it would start up again. they should make bullet proof vests out of all the old ones. except that some 548s still work... i know of one....

Aerestis
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I sort of want to shoot my palm, only I hope it's not bullet proof :D Staples is a little uncomfortable about replacing it, they said I'll have to bring it in for them to inspect it. I feel a little insulted... I mean, one month into the warranty, poor student, plain old stupid hardware problems. I was hoping they would be a little less untrusting about it, for the sake of customer service. I guess they expect me to be lying because I a crazy teenager.