View Full Version : Turning off a WiFi card

iPaqDude
02-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Has anyone come across an app or hack that will allow you to turn off & on a WiFi card?

Specifically I have a Socket WLAN card in my h2215, and I would like to turn the card off instead of taking it out. I have looked around and have not found anything, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

by the way - this is the older Socket card - the one that Socket - for what ever reason - has decided NOT to release tools for.... but I'm not bitter.... :evil:

cptpoland
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm looking for a utility like that myself. I have the sandisk Connect Plus, and there is no utilities to turn off the WIFI radio and just use the 128Mb that the card comes with.
What I found is that Pocket Warrior can be used to turn off your wifi radio, and turn it back on. It's a bit of a run around but it works for my card.
Here is the link:
http://pocketwarrior.sourceforge.net/pwdl.html

If you find a simpler way, please let me know.

iPaqDude
02-25-2004, 04:09 AM
I tried PocketWarrior but it does not recognize the Socket WLAN card :(

If I come up with something - or if Socket gets their act together and puts some tools out - I will post it here.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ombu
02-26-2004, 01:03 AM
I'm looking for a utility like that myself. I have the sandisk Connect Plus, and there is no utilities to turn off the WIFI radio and just use the 128Mb that the card comes with.
What I found is that Pocket Warrior can be used to turn off your wifi radio, and turn it back on. It's a bit of a run around but it works for my card.
Here is the link:
http://pocketwarrior.sourceforge.net/pwdl.html

If you find a simpler way, please let me know.

Does it work with WM2003? I have a 128 + too.

Regards.

cptpoland
02-26-2004, 05:50 AM
The sandisk connect + works fine with wm2003, so does pocketwarrior. You can use the pocket warrior to turn off the power of the wifi radio and use the card as just a memory card, but...... once you turn off the device, and turn it back on, the wifi radio turns on again and then you have to run pocket warrior again to turn off the radio. Kinda pain in bum. I sent an email to sandisk tech support asking if there was a way of turning off the wifi radio. According to them it is not possible to turn off the wifi radio in wm2003.
I'm a little surprised that the wifi drivers for wm2003 lack this function, and there is no 3rd party software that will turn on/off. Still searching, but if anyone finds anything like that, please share the info.

CP

ombu
02-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks cptpoland. :)