View Full Version : How Often Do You Soft Reset Your Pocket PC

Ed Hansberry
02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I was just wondering how often you soft reset your Pocket PC. I do mine probably 3-4 times a week. Two are because I backup using <a href="http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=34628">Sprite Backup</a> twice a week and it kills all processes before starting the backup process, so a soft reset is the fastest way to relaunch everything that starts at boot.<br /><br />The other soft resets are when things just go awry. One or both extra times for me is usually an inability to connect to my Nokia 3650 via bluetooth. When that happens, I just reset both the phone and my 2215 since they take about the same time to cycle and as often as not, it is the 3650's bluetooth connection that isn't receiving. <br /><br />So how about you?

Janak Parekh
02-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow. I thought I was a heavy Pocket PC user, but I only reset once or twice a month. I guess my application selection must be more conservative than most.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
02-21-2004, 09:12 PM
At least once a day, but for a similar reason as Ed. I have Sprite Backup set to autobackup to my SD card at 4AM every morning (and save two backups), and I have it set to reset when complete.

I also soft reset when I notice my memory getting low and nothing is running (except the background stuff that doesn't show up in running programs). There are definately memory leaks, I just don't want to take the time to figure out what is causing them. Chances are it is a program I'm not giving up anyway :(

R K
02-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Wow, it's amazing to see how many people soft-reset many times a day.

Sheynk
02-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Back when I had my Tosh. I would only reset if I could not get a wifi signal (very seldom)

There is a typo (second to last option) :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Ed Hansberry
02-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Back when I had my Tosh. I would only reset if I could not get a wifi signal (very seldom)

There is a typo (second to last option) :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
heh. Whoops. Can't fix it either. Smoke comes out of the server when you edit a poll once voting has begun. :?

x999x
02-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I reset a few times a day. I have my iPAQ to do everything but PIM, more like a poor man's laptop substitute. That said, much of my software which is mainly multimedia/emulators aren't commercial quality, and are expected to crash and hang from time to time.

Unfortunately, I can't say that comminity-powered-software is the only culprit for my frequent resets, but at least two times a week, my Bluetooth connection goes awry, and I'm forced to reboot both my PC and iPAQ to make a connection again.

BT STRIKES AGAIN! It's a love/hate relationship, I love it when it works, I hate it when it doesn't.

Jonathon Watkins
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Well I voted 1-2 times a week - works for me.

dh
02-21-2004, 09:48 PM
The only times I really have to reset are after backups and when starting Textmaker. (The Softmaker guys never really got to the botton of this one so I just live with it).

Anyway it's no big deal. I have a Soft Reset icon on my Today Page and what does it take? Ten seconds maybe?

moaske
02-21-2004, 09:57 PM
The only resets i do, are the ones that iPaq backup automatically initiates after the backup has completed. Apart from that i guess about once every two weeks when a bad eBook or something locks up...
Like someone else said; i guess i use quite stable software. I must also say that .NET 4.2 (or WM2003) is the most stable CE incarnation i've ever used so far (and i've been in the game since the HPC CE 2.0 days) :D

ctmagnus
02-21-2004, 10:39 PM
My iPaq soft-resets itself daily, after Sprite Backup is finished it's thing. Other than that, I soft-reset maybe twice a week, usually bic!

bleeman
02-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I soft reset several times a day. 9 times out of 10 it's due to Wi-Fi connectivity problems. Most of the time it's because the option to turn it off or on disappears from the "balloon pop-up". The other times it's because I'll power off my iPAQ but the Wi-Fi stays on :|

paris
02-21-2004, 10:56 PM
well its getting better and better over time. I changed like 3-4 pockets PCs in the past 2 years and now with my 4150 i almost dont have to softreset, unless an installation requires it or after my weekly backup, which is done automatically :D . I remeber having problems with earlier pocket PCs but now i cant even remember when was the last time i did softreset my 4150

cwacker
02-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Bluetooth connection with my Ericsson T68i phone works fine the first time, but very often not the second time. So I have to reset my iPAQ 4150 for every second Bluetooth connection.

I have to do the same for Bluetooth connection with my Fortuna Clip On GPS.

I do only reset the iPAQ, not the phone or the GPS unit.

daS
02-21-2004, 11:07 PM
I reset several times a day also: Each time Ed posts a message complaning about Bluetooth. :wink:

See, I just did a reset again. :lol:

Jerry Raia
02-21-2004, 11:08 PM
My 5555 sometimes will just not turn on. Other times for WiFi. Of course when I do the back up. SO at least once a day, usually more.

Christian
02-21-2004, 11:21 PM
I soft reset several times a day. Half the time it is because of a dropped Bluetooth connection or because my keyboard refuses to work properly. The rest is likely just because I insist on loading various freeware/shareware programs on my device that aren't explicitly WM2003 compliant or 100% bug free. Still, I find it humorous how many people seem to find it acceptable that running a freeware application launcher renders the entire OS unstable. The advice I've gotten is to do a hard reset and install programs one by one to see which one is to blame. If my desktop PC had to be rebooted every couple of hours because I installed a freeware application - and if the "solution" involved reformatting my hard drive and hours of trial and error, I would switch operating systems immediately :roll:

Ok, enough ranting. :oops:

EricMCarson
02-21-2004, 11:22 PM
I soft reset with my 4150 a few times a week because of the memory leak issues with PIE and NetFront. I wish there was a way to dump those memory leaks without a soft reset...

Ken Mattern
02-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Even when developing software I rarely do a soft reset more than a couple of times a week - and I'm counting five Pocket PCs! The only time I HAVE to do a soft reset is when I install from PortNexus.

If you guys haven't heard of PortNexus, just wait. I'm dangling the bait because this is the neatest thing I have ever seen for those who have to maintain Pocket PCs for more than one!

Jason, if you read this, I will be in touch.

powder2000
02-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Of course this all depends on how far you push your ppc and to what limit you test new software. I for one use a pocket pc that really wasn't designed with wireless in mind to surf the internet via wifi. I probably reset once a day.

sublime
02-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Once or twice per day I have to soft reset. I have a weird thing going on with Fitaly in which, sometimes, when I open an application, Fitaly will not show up, nor will any other input method. I simply soft reset and it works after that.

I don't know what causes it, either, and I'm too lazy to figure it out.

scargill
02-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I think I'm being paranoid, I reset several times a day, but I tend to reset after using a few applications if I want to start a new task, really I don't see the problem in resetting just to get everything nice and clean again, especially as I tend to be a fiddler!

Jereboam
02-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I voted 3-4 times a week...weekly backup with Sprite, once to PC and once to storage takes care of two.

Apart from that with WM2003 my 5450 is pretty stable, far more so that with PPC2002.

Of course, there are the occasional inexplicable brainfarts that lock the bloody thing up, either completely randomly or right in the middle of something critical like GPS navigation.

I've also learnt patience. Many times when its appeared to lock up, it's just really taking its sweet time with something. Network shares with Resco Explorer are a classic. I've got time to make a cup of tea before it's found them. So I'm not so quick to soft reset anymore. I think I'm getting old. ;)

Oh, BTW, to the man with the Fortuna Clipon - I have zero Bluetooth issues...strange. Have you checked in the Fortuna forum (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=60&sid=641e6191d98d4e07f53730bbb3db7ceb) or your GPS software forum over at Pocket GPS World? They might have some ideas on how to fix the problem.

J'bm

guinness
02-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Couple times a month, I don't use WiFi or BT so maybe that's why. The only time I may have to do a SR unexpectedly is if Pocket MVP freezes up, but that's usually really stable too. My biggest problem are the intermittent alarms, that's very annoying.

Paragon
02-22-2004, 01:05 AM
I reset several times a day also: Each time Ed posts a message complaning about Bluetooth. :wink:

See, I just did a reset again. :lol:

He he! That is too funny David! True, but funny.

I have to reset more then a couple of times a day. Once or twice a day when I stick my Sandisk WiFi card in my MDA II it doesn't get picked up, and I have to reset. As well everytime I go to use my Bluetooth GPS I have to reset. I don't know if something is hogging the Com port or what?

Dave

redwards12
02-22-2004, 01:09 AM
I was having trouble with getting active synch to work at my work. Our IS guy was helping me and did a search on Microsoft's website. There is a reference that, if you soft reset too many times, you might have to do a hard reset to get active synch to work.

In my case, I had some animated themes that I had gotten with PPC2002 and animated today that, somehow, interfere with active synch and PPC2003 and the new version of animated today. :?

dlangton
02-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I have a couple pieces of software that simply won't work unless I do a soft reset first. One of them is *****, which is in beta. The other one is Pocket World Info, which always gives me an error if I've had Calligrapher running before I launch the app. I seem to have slightly less stability since I got my memory upgrade from PocketPCTechs. I don't blame their software, since I'm certain some of the problems are due to my Today screen plugins.

So basically I'm stuck at several times a day at the moment. Hopefully, that will change once **** updates their current beta.

PR.
02-22-2004, 01:48 AM
5-6times a week...

Mostly because WM2003 manages memory like a sieve manages water. Sometimes because wireless gets stuck on, and very occasionally some App locks up and forces a reboot.

I don't like soft reseting as sometimes, the 5450 gets stuck and doesn't load the fingerprint scanner and forces me to do another soft reset! :(

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2004, 01:58 AM
5-6times a week...

Mostly because WM2003 manages memory like a sieve manages water.
:rotfl: I love that line.

davea
02-22-2004, 03:30 AM
Voted 1-2 times per day. BLUETOOTH is the culprit. My Dell Axim x5 talking
to my Nokia 3650.

Jeff Rutledge
02-22-2004, 03:34 AM
I put 3-4 per week. Like Ed, two of these are due to backups. The other 1-2 are when my iPAQ becomes unstable. I should also point out that I would have voted for daily if I was still using Bluetooth on a regular basis.

mcsouth
02-22-2004, 04:42 AM
With my previous iPaq 3630 or HP Jornada 567, it was typically upwards of several times a week. Towards the end of my Jornada's tenure, it was more like once or twice a day.

I picked up an iPaq 1945 to replace my Jornada until MS Mobile 2004 hits, and now that I think about, I don't think I have ever soft reset it in the four or so months that I've had it - something short of amazing, since I'm running all the same software and more that my Jornada had. However, I have noticed that some apps don't seem to behave as well - CeCraft's iGolf2, for example, won't run through one whole game with closing itself on me at random points in the game. There are a few other apps that act similarly on this new iPaq. I just haven't taken the time to figure out why yet.

I certainly haven't jumped into the wireless world like other folks, so maybe that's why my unit is so well behaved right now!

danesh
02-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Voted once a day. I try new apps (freeware/shareware), and so far they have been the major cause of soft resets. The other day when I installed an app in my storage card and started it for the first time, it locked up the machine.

MaximumPDA
02-22-2004, 06:11 AM
When better than 50% of over 1000 poll takers reset their PPC daily or more, what does that say for the stability of this platform. I hope MS is watching closely.

Imagine having to reboot your PC daily or more ala Win95. I am thankful XP runs for months sometimes longer with out a hiccup. They really got it right with XP.

Embedded systems are supposed to be more stable I thought? I hope as CE 4.2 becomes more mature we will see XP style stability.

Still, you couldnt pry my PPC from my cold dead hands :twisted: So I must not be too put our from the resets.

An interesting poll would be to see how ofter people have to HARD RESET thier PPC.

--Bill

daverph
02-22-2004, 06:30 AM
An interesting poll would be to see how ofter people have to HARD RESET thier PPC.

--Bill

Or a slightly different poll - how often does your PPC spontaneously reset itself?

Jacob
02-22-2004, 06:33 AM
I think the big question is how often are you forced to soft reset. I, as well as many others, reset daily just for backups. That isn't really indicative of stability or lack thereof.

LaserProUSA
02-22-2004, 06:46 AM
I am just making the trasition from Palm OS to Pocket PC and found all these reset posts elsewhere very interesting. Here is my take on the Palm OS transition to Pocket PC platform

My PDA background has been one Palm (m100) then immediately over to Sony Clie units from the N610 to NR70 to NX70 to NZ90 to the UX50 as being my current unit. My dilemma has never been the Palm OS as that is extremely stable, and have only had resets when experimenting with hacks. Palm OS and its software programs just work! I currently own a iPAQ h5555 specifically for GPS and Audio Books and have never really tried out the various software applicatons on the PPC as I have been satisfied with the apps on the Palm OS. BUT at this point in time in my PDA experience the Clie hardware has simply been horrible in reliability whereas the software is extremely stable so I've decided to make the transfer to the dark side :)

So I have decided to make the jump completely over to PPC since all the Clie's I've been through have been a result of defective hardware, i.e., broken hinge (NR70), stolen (NX70), immediate resets (NZ90) and defective bluetooth (UX50). Well now that I'm fed up with regularly having to take advantage of my warranty and replacing my Clie every few months I am going to make the jump completely over to the PPC world. Next week I will be replacing my Clie UX50 with the iPAQ h4155 and already over the last few days I have managed to locate all the PPC equivalents to all the Palm OS apps I have grown to like and master, all in all I think I've made some good decisions hardware wise and software wise. Of course I am going through the tiral periods first just to make sure. For those that would like to know what Palm OS equivalents are available in the Pocket PC world here are my choices in replacement:

Category: Pocket PC app ... Palm OS app
----------------------------------------
PIM: Pocket Informant ... Agendus Pro
Daily Journal: Pocket Informant ... DayNotez
Voice/Notes/Memos: Pocket Informant Notes (one to replace 3, AWESOME!) ... VoiceRec/Note Pad/Memo Pad
[Pocket Informant is an extremely powerful PIM, providing far more than just contact management]
Lists: ListPro ... Bonsai
eWallet ... SplashID
Finance: PocketMoney ... PocketMoney (cool as there is a version for both platforms, PPC version is superior though)
Auto Tracking: Vehicle Manager (one to replace 2, AWESOME!)... MPG & Trip Deluxe
Mapping & GPS: Mapopolis ... Mapopolis (cool as there is a version for both platforms, PPC version is superior though)
Word Processing: TextMaker ... Docs to Go
Spreadsheet: Pocket Excel (this really sucks) ... Sheet to Go
Presentations: Margi to go ... Margi to go (cool as there is a version for both platforms, PPC version is superior though)
MP3 Playing: PocketMusic ... pTunes
Multimedia: Windows Media Player/RealPlayer ... MoviePlay/Kinoma
PDF Files: Acrobat Reader ... PicselViewer
Image Viewing: iPAQ Image Viewer/XnView Pocket ... AcidImage Pro
Web Browser: Pocket Internet Explorer ... NetFront
Net Access Management: iPAQ Wireless ... Clie MobileManager
File Management: Resco Explorer ... ZLauncher File Manager
Desktop: Windows Mobile ... ZLauncher
Mobile Reading: Avantgo ... Avantgo
Email: Inbox ... Agendus Mail
Mail Filtering: Spam Filter ... n/a
Backup: iPAQ Backup ... Backupman
Keyboard: Stowaway Wireless ... UX50 built in keyboard (only hardware item I will truly miss as I used it 99% of the time nearly completely ignoring the horrendous Graffiti 2)

So the move to PPC from Palm OS is not easy because quite a bit of docs need to be recreated but there are equivalent applications available to both platforms with my limited experience being that the PPC version are superior to the Palm OS versions. I personally think the power, speed, hardware reliability, wireless, Windows like interface, multitasking, etc. make the PPC better to this point, but over the next few weeks I will truly be able to make an educated decision on that one. So far my only PPC experience has been GPS and MP3 playing which has been superior on the PPC and now that I understand Pocket Informant this application is superior to Agendus Pro. I think the decesion to make the transition was a good one.

Over the next few weeks I will post here at PocketPC Thoughts my progress and comments on this transition. In the meantime if you are looking at making the transition, the Windows Mobile couple with the PPC hardware couldn't make the decison any easier to make. Good luck and happy PPC'ing :)

Gerard
02-22-2004, 08:02 AM
I don't know if it's a Pocket IE issue or a MultiIE issue, but whenever I forget to slow down just a little and count to thre before switching open pages or tappiing the scrollbar on a newly-opened page, the iPAQ 3835 (running PPC 2002) locks up. I probably have to reset about twice a day, average, for this alone. Then there are a few other programs with less than stellar stability, and between those I probably do another 2 or 3 per day to resolve lockups. Then there's at least one Sprite Backup per day, and often 2, as I still see surprise spontaneous hard resets once in a while. Three since Christmas.

So that's about 5 soft resets every day, with as many as 10 or more on bad days. And that's not counting the ones I do when testing new programs of course; those don't really count. I once saw over 100 hard resets in one day with a defective Casio EG-800. Never got an explanation from Casio about that one. They just sent me another unit.

I run over 70 programs after the stock stuff, minimum, and am often testing as many as half a dozen at a time beyond those, so a bit of instability is expected. Still, with usually over 40MB of free RAM, it seems odd to have to reset so often. And I really look forward to the day when I can use Pocket IE as quickly as I like to do without worrying about it locking up. Netfront is still a little kludgy, but maybe I'll get used to that. It seems never to freeze the device at least.

QYV
02-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Interesting that Bluetooth and other wireless issues seem to be cropping up in this thread, as that's where my average of one soft reset per day comes from (otherwise my Pocket PC is extremely stable). I wonder if folks who use Palm OS devices with Bluetooth and a phone, or with Wi-Fi, have similar problems.

jimski
02-22-2004, 08:22 AM
One soft reset for backup per week
About one soft reset every 4-6 weeks for a program lockup
A soft reset every 2-3 times I turn on WiFi (insufficent memory)
An occasional soft reset (twice this year) when using Bluetooth (and I use it daily).

manywhere
02-22-2004, 11:23 AM
I was just wondering how often you soft reset your Pocket PC. I do mine probably 3-4 times a week. Two are because I backup using Sprite Backup (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=34628) twice a week and it kills all processes before starting the backup process, so a soft reset is the fastest way to relaunch everything that starts at boot.

The other soft resets are when things just go awry. One or both extra times for me is usually an inability to connect to my Nokia 3650 via bluetooth. When that happens, I just reset both the phone and my 2215 since they take about the same time to cycle and as often as not, it is the 3650's bluetooth connection that isn't receiving.

So how about you?
Several times a day, 'cause my iPaq 3870 doesn't wan't to sync somedays... :cry:

Ed, you should update your Nokia's software. There should be certified Nokia service points in your vicinity that can update the software in one day. And they will do it for free if your warranty is still in effect. Just tell them that your are having some problems with Bluetooth and leave it in for service. :wink:

As a side note, check your current software version by keying in *#0000# . Check it with some site on the net listing the latest versions for your Nokia model! :)

iant54
02-22-2004, 11:39 AM
I subscribe to the Daily Telegraph crosswords through Roundpoint, and I find that I have to soft reset to get the full load into my iPAQ.

bdegroodt
02-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Several times a day on my 4355. Mostly due to wireless connectivity issues. As has been documented here on a number of occasions, BT and WiFi gremlins come standard.

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2004, 02:51 PM
When better than 50% of over 1000 poll takers reset their PPC daily or more, what does that say for the stability of this platform. I hope MS is watching closely.
Right now there are 1,428 votes and 38% are doing it daily. We've already seen that some do it daily because they use Sprite Backup and it soft resets for them.

Many others have mentioned bluetooth connectivity, some have mentioned WLAN issues - though I can say in 9 months I only remember soft resetting maybe 2 times, must be a rock solid Socket card/driver - and others test lots of software.

Where do you see 50% and where do you see that the OS is at fault. For what it is worth, my Anycom BT card for my XP laptop caused me to reboot every day and often several times a day. I think a lot of the issues we are seeing are driver issues that just refuse to work without a fresh boot.

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2004, 02:53 PM
As a side note, check your current software version by keying in *#0000# . Check it with some site on the net listing the latest versions for your Nokia model! :)
Some site? That narrows it down.

William Yeung
02-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey this is a bit sidetrack- but my friend said it *SEEMS* the new rom update has fixed his 2210 + T68i reliability issue.
Anyone have tried the RUU and whats ur experience?

manywhere
02-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Some site? That narrows it down.
:lol: Yeah, exactly. Around 3000 results in Google... :roll: Well, I believe that the site should be out there but I've managed to lose the URL to it. :oops:

On the other side, you can find a two step instruction for updating the software here: http://www.nokiausa.com/support/repair/
Good Luck! :way to go: (And sorry for this being a bit OT)

Christian
02-22-2004, 05:07 PM

--Bill

Or a slightly different poll - how often does your PPC spontaneously reset itself?

I would be curious to see the results of such a poll myself.

Icebaron
02-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I definitely love the PPC platform so far, but I must admit I'm getting really tempted to switch to a Linux solution. I've been using Linux on the desktop for what seems like forever, and have always found my work to be more efficient and the system more powerful. Recently I found out that one of my friends has one of the Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA's and has only ever reset it once since he bought it, and this is a guy who's running webservers off his PDA via Wi-Fi just to say he did it. I'll be very interested to see if IBM comes through with their Linux PDA. The main thing keeping me away from Linux in the pocket so far is the relatively slow release cycle. I need bleeding edge.

ombu
02-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Not even once a week since I've got my 2210, before that it was 3 or 4 times a day with my J568 due to PI sluggish performance after running other apps and wi-fi issues, right now everything works fine, I don't use PI anymore too and my CF wi-fi card goes like a charm.

Regards.

Candygogo
02-22-2004, 05:25 PM
If I don't reset my Toshiba once a day, it's like a day without sunshine :wink:

whydidnt
02-22-2004, 06:45 PM
I seem to reset at least every other day. Almost always it's because I start to run low on memory. After a soft reset, I have about 10 MB of "running programs". After closing all applications using the control panel memory tool, I often am left with as much as 16-18 MB of memory in use. Either too many programs I run are written poorly and don't give release their memory or the OS does a horrible job managing the memory. Either way it is a major pain in the side.

element
02-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Since I seem to have an issue with my USB cradles I have to reset everytime I want to syncronize. This is both at work and at home. Anyone else have the same issue where you can sync once after resetting, but if you remove from cradle and try to resync , activesync is dead? I wonder if it's one of my apps.

Anyway, just curious.

MaximumPDA
02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Right now there are 1,428 votes and 38% are doing it daily. We've already seen that some do it daily because they use Sprite Backup and it soft resets for them.

Many others have mentioned bluetooth connectivity, some have mentioned WLAN issues - though I can say in 9 months I only remember soft resetting maybe 2 times, must be a rock solid Socket card/driver - and others test lots of software.

Where do you see 50% and where do you see that the OS is at fault. For what it is worth, my Anycom BT card for my XP laptop caused me to reboot every day and often several times a day. I think a lot of the issues we are seeing are driver issues that just refuse to work without a fresh boot.

When I stated 50% I said daily or more, so I was adding all the totals from people who reset 5 to 6 times a week all the way up to multiple times a day. As the current poll sits there are over 1800 results with 48% resetting at 5 to 6 time times a week or more. That number would be even higher if we added the next group.

Stability is always the OS's fault (or at least that’s how it’s perceived, keep reading). MS tried to play the blame game back in the days of Win95 through Win Millennium and to be honest stability was usually compromised by the other venders driver not he OS but that didn’t matter because the consumer perceived it as a MS problem since they saw Windows crash. In Windows XP MS took a different approach and the system recovers from faulty and buggy drivers thus making the system "seem" stable and keeps it alive. That’s a great thing to accomplish.

Now Windows Mobile needs to offer that same level system stability in the wake of all these crappy coded drivers and programs people are spewing out that keep crashing the OS or eating up ram via memory leaks.

This is a perception issue that an OS vendor or hardware vendor can’t win by saying it’s the software you installed not us. Of course we techies know it’s the drivers and third party software that sucks and breaks our OS forcing us to do a soft reset or hard rest. We are only a small fraction compared to the great consumer masses who will blame the OS vendor or device vendor because they don’t know any better. They see the OS/device vendor name and perceive it as the vendor’s device and therefore it must suck. The reality is that the new wireless card they installed is probably the culprit, etc, etc…

To make a long story short (too late) Windows Mobile needs to shore up the plumbing to keep the OS stabile from wayward drivers and errant code anomalies.

--Bill

Jacob
02-22-2004, 09:50 PM
You're right that problems with individual apps is sometimes perceived as system instability, but the WinME OS was just horrible.

It's hard to tell sometimes when an OS is at fault or an app is at fault. If many apps you use crash randomly then I'd bet there's an issue with the OS.

synrgy
02-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Since I seem to have an issue with my USB cradles I have to reset everytime I want to syncronize. This is both at work and at home. Anyone else have the same issue where you can sync once after resetting, but if you remove from cradle and try to resync , activesync is dead? I wonder if it's one of my apps.

Anyway, just curious.

I read a post about 2 months ago, can't remember where, which in essecnce, pushed the idea of taking the cradle outta the mix. Since doing so (wi-fi), I've decreased my resets by at least half, and all (underlined) remaining resets are memory leak - BT related - 'bout every coupla days.

The cradle is a dust catcher - really only really needed in order to create the intial partnership. Took me awhile to get this, but it really work's mint...
-Link your Outlook to a server-based tool (Exchange).
-Work in and around your space using wifi (5-10 min. auto sync).
-swap wifi for BT on the way out the door.
-Link to a BT phone.
... and you are never (underlined) outta touch w/yur stuff (well....you know the deal w/cell phones).

Not exactly an ephiphany for most of you, but its as good as good as it gets, technologically speaking, up heeaaaaahh in Maine........Feb 04.

Mona13
02-23-2004, 12:36 AM
I soft-reset once per day because I back up every day and the application prompts for a soft-reset after the back up.

I don't have near the problems (so far) with my 5555 as I did with my 5455.

Mona13

Larry S
02-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I reset once or twice a day. I think it has to do with the Linksys WCF-12 WiFi card and it's marginal software. (I do have the latest download.) After access to one WiFi connection, the IPAQ will often not access another without a reset. I also sometimes have to reset before ActiveSync will connect.

Flynn Arrowstarr
02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Unless I'm actively developing an application, I usually only soft reset a couple times a month. Mostly when a program pitches a fit. If I'm actively developing, well then it's a lot more often... :mrgreen:

Probably once or twice a day during development since I prefer to have as few processes running as possible when testing a program (I don't have a lot of utilities running on startup).

Flynn

orol
02-28-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm happy I'm still in palm OS camp with my lovely UX50.

I don't even remember when reset occured ..
I backup on daily basis, sometimes even more times a day
not to mention I back up to the flash and to the memory stick

btw eventhough UX50 has got only 16MB of ram I've over 60 proggies onto my UX50 including netfront 3.1, snappermail, ssh, ftp, telnet clients. documents to go, resco viewer, dictionaries, many games & emulators you name it (well majority is stored in internal media which is 29MB of nand flash)

but now I realized I'm really happy I haven't bought HP 4350...

palm os is the way guys .. loooking forward having OS6 successor to UX50 in my hands .. with ZERO soft reset problems

p.s. synchronization over runes a couple times a day, as well as wifi access and _heavy_ communication over bluetooth (sms, internet, calling you name it) with NO problems ;-)

windows mobile is worse then windows 95 .. just a joke to OS

Gerard
02-28-2004, 11:28 PM
'Pocket PC Neophyte'??? Shouldn't there be a special title for one-post-wonder Palm trolls, something like 'Palm-ass goof'? Just a thought.

Steven Cedrone
02-29-2004, 01:12 AM
'Pocket PC Neophyte'??? Shouldn't there be a special title for one-post-wonder Palm trolls, something like 'Palm-ass goof'? Just a thought.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/troll.jpg

:wink:

Steve

orol
02-29-2004, 07:34 PM

well, if you are angry that you had to reset you devices another 5 times today its just your problem. please don't filter it on other people, try some real OS 8)

Gerard
02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
(dang, you were right Steve, I fed it and now it's back! sorry, so sorry...)

MikeInDallas
03-03-2004, 07:21 AM
My ipaq 2210 requires multiple reboots daily. It hangs when I pull it off the cradle, it hangs sometimes when I turn it off then try to turn it back on, sometimes because the sky is blue...

I have to reset it, too, just before I go to sleep if I want the alarm to go off in the morning...this was a hot topic here at one point, but I don't know if the problem was ever resolved.

I haven't checked HP's site recently, but while they had several RAM upgrades, the only ROM upgrade they have provided was for an extended batterty pack that was already on the shelves before the fix came out. HP included none of their existing RAM fixes. :evil:

Ed Hansberry
03-03-2004, 01:30 PM
My ipaq 2210 requires multiple reboots daily. It hangs when I pull it off the cradle, it hangs sometimes when I turn it off then try to turn it back on, sometimes because the sky is blue...
I'd be looking at software, not the device. Sounds like you have lots of Today plugins and/or skinning tools installed.

PROlenick
03-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Sometimes it's because I have to - like after running Sprite Backup - or because my i700 (it's a PPC Phone) won't connect to Express Network (Verizon's high speed wireless ISP) - I can tell it's not going to work if the speaker doesn't click on quietly - a soft reset cures that.

Sometimes it's just because I feel like it's time to reboot.

I do it so often that I use a little utility program to do it without fishing around for the reset button!

Newton Ford
03-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I've just finished getting my new XDAII :D (I-Mate Pocket PC to some of you) just how I like it and WOW it's a good machine... I've upgraded from the XDAI. I got into the habit of soft reset every morning on that machine and anytime I couldn't get a phone call out despite showing a good signal. This was because the phone thought it was connected to the network but the network wasn't talking back (something to do with the way you move between cells). A reset got over this problem. On the new XDAII I've not experienced a dropped signal yet but the habit of resetting continues as 'good practice' because it clears all of the cr*p out of the memory.

On the possible second question of a hard reset... Never on the new XDAII and twice on the XDAI (once on a bios upgrade and once because of a total co**up on my part :oops: ).

:clap: Totaly sold on the new machine..... Combine your tools - remember you are the master and the machine is your slave..... :devilboy:

Jonathon Watkins
03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi there Newton Ford! 8) Always good to see new UK members. Good to have you on board! :mrgreen:

shipwreck
03-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I reset "Usually" once per day, that is because I have a daily backup that runs at around 6am every morning. Here recently I have been resetting about 6 to 7 times per day as a regemen to fix an anoying little shutting off problem that my ipaq has been having and it seems to be working :D

BTW, I use a program that puts a little reset button in the bottom tray of my PPC to make resets painless and less embarasing in public. :wink:

Lastword24
03-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Around twice a month does it for me, but I'm a light user. I find that the "Find/Replace" function in Pocket Excel fails to work now and then and the soft reset fixes the behavior.

Good old Jornada 560
in SoCal