View Full Version : seeking recommendations for handheld

ecklesweb
02-21-2004, 01:51 AM
I'm in the market for a handheld and I'm hoping you folks can offer some suggestions. I'm not familiar at all with what's out there, but I know what features I'm looking for:
*802.11b or g wireless capability (either built in or via some sort of expansion device)
*Ability to receive and play live streaming video over that WLAN connection (video could be coming from QT Broadcaster/Streaming Server or from some sort of Windows Media setup, whatever is easiest for the handheld)
*color display

An extra niceity would be the ability to interface with OS X or Linux, but I don't know if that's a realistic desire in PocketPC world.

After those features, I would most likely rank the candidates by price.

If you have any suggestions on hardware that might fit the bill, that would be great. Also, if you have any websites or other resources to help me get up to speed on the PocketPC scene, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Jacob
02-22-2004, 03:04 AM
Well, I don't know if there are any tools to sync with Linux or Mac, but the IPAQ 415x should be able to do that, I think.

Also the Toshiba e803 also has built in WiFi and a VGA capable screen.

Janak Parekh
02-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Well, I don't know if there are any tools to sync with Linux or Mac, but the IPAQ 415x should be able to do that, I think.
There are two applications that enable syncing with OS X: PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/) and Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/pocketpc.html). To the best of my knowledge, none exist for Linux, and I don't expect any to exist anytime soon.

As for WiFi and playback capability, ecklesweb, a number of Pocket PCs can do this. A small sampling with built-in WiFi includes:

- iPAQ 4150, 4350, 5550
- Toshiba e750, e805
- Dell Axim x3i

All of them have a color display, and all Pocket PCs can handle streaming media, although you'll want to do some research as to the best way to handle that.

There are quite a few more than the ones I mentioned there... and even more so if you include units that accept a WiFi expansion card.

--janak

Partita
02-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Depending how much you want to spend and what size of handheld is your preference:

here are the list in descending order.

iPAQ h4155 (SD, dual slot, small)
Asus A716 (dual slots, dual wireless)
Dell X3i (SD, WiFi, cheap)
iPaq h4355. (SD, dual wireless, big battery thumboard)
Toshiba e800 (VGA, dual slots, WiFi)

Jacob
02-22-2004, 04:32 AM
iPAQ h4155 (SD, dual slot, small)

I think you mean dual wireless, not dual slot.

Palm Cow
02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
I would recommend the Dell X3i. Reviews report very good range :D.

nice_micael
02-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey what about the ipaq 5000 series?