View Full Version : High-Res Photo of Motorola MPx300

Jason Dunn
02-20-2004, 06:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/motorola_ppcpe.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/motorola_ppcpe.asp</a><br /><br /></div>Pocketpcitalia manages to get photos of things that no one else can, and this is no exception: it's a photo of the Motorola MPx300 from the back, very clearly showing the keyboard. The screen was obviously digitally pasted in, but the hardware looks legitimate enough. Can you tell I'm excited about this device? :mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Very interesting! The build-quality of the keyboard looks superb and very well thought out. I imagine that the two holes to the left of the screen are speaker holes, and not LCD's for BT and WiFi.

In fact, the more I see of this thing, the less I think BT and WiFi are going to be included. :cry:

famousdavis
02-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Clamshell design for a PPC makes such perfect sense, it's a wonder that there aren't a plethora of offerings with that design. No compelling need for a screen protector, full keyboard, still a compact design. That's why I've skipped all the WM2003-based devices that are on the market now, and why I'm still using my iPAQ 1910, awaiting something that really is worth upgrading to. For me, wireless connectivity alone isn't worth an upgrade. Bigger screen with better resolution + thumb keyboard + still the small size of my 1910 + better battery life = new purchase for the vendor that can supply that device!

arbitrajeu
02-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Anyone else notice the complete absence of the "Windows" and "Ok" buttons which were so interesting in the original pictures? I wonder which is the fake...

Terry
02-20-2004, 06:26 PM
I hope the cellular quality is better than the MPx200.

I moved my AT&T MPx200 SIM to a Cingular Motorola V60i and was surprised by two things: 1) it worked, and 2) it worked MUCH better than the MPx200...I can use the phone in many places where the MPx would not work at all and the sound quality is MUCH better.

I've (unfortunately) given up on the MPx200.

msprague
02-20-2004, 06:34 PM
will have integrated functions GSM/GPRS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi 802.11b
That would be great! :drool:

JustinGTP
02-20-2004, 06:38 PM
A lot of thought has gone into this device, if you look you can see that the number pad is slightly angled so that you can see the numbers from both way, horizontally and vertically.

I don't think this is a fake - but I do think that there won't be a Microsoft OS on it because it is lacking the Windows key and the OK key as arbitrajeu pointed out.

I could be wrong indeed, but Motorola has definitely got the Pocket PC and Smartphone world in a hype - look at all there recently "spied" photos of their ever so cool and innovative phones!

-Justin.

jackdaniels
02-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Anyone else notice the complete absence of the "Windows" and "Ok" buttons which were so interesting in the original pictures? I wonder which is the fake...

Yes. People are just jumping on the bandwagon hype train. They're ignoring the fact that the "Windows" and "Ok" buttons are missing. Also if you look at the pic that shows those buttons you can clearly see they were photo-shopped in. Look closely they aren't even placed on top of the keys, half is on the button, the other half is hanging in space above the device. My bet is that this will run Linux. It could also be another fancy 2-way pager. Motorola probably leaked the shots with the PPC Os to gauge interest.

Paragon
02-20-2004, 07:28 PM
This is absolutely terrible! How on earth am I going to explain to my wife that I have to buy yet another Pocket PC? ;)

As to the Photoshopping....I'm quite certain there is a good amount of it. So What? I'm sure this device is in the early stages of development. The important thing here is the fact that someone is giving a device like this a serious shot at production!!!!

Dave

juni
02-20-2004, 07:31 PM
I desire it, but on the other hand I like my HP2210 :dilemma:

JonnoB
02-20-2004, 07:54 PM
No compelling need for a screen protector

Using the stylus on a touch-screen always calls for a screen protector. I do agree however, that the LCD is much more protected and there is likely no need for a case - you couldn't get one to work right anway.

JonnoB
02-20-2004, 07:58 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2004/20040218-mpx300.jpg

I don't think those are buttons at all, but a template label above the buttons so that you could use the QWERTY keys combine with a function type button to access applications, hit ok, or bring up the start menu. The other photo is probably just missing that template label.

MarcTGFG
02-20-2004, 08:49 PM
The measurement tool in Photoshop is a real boon.

Assuming the SD slot at the lower left side is 23mm in height, then the whole unit is 92mm tall.

Assuming the SD slot is 25mm in height I calculate the dimension to be 100mm.

Both would be extraordinarily small. For comparision: The Nokia 7650 smartphone is 113 mm tall.

If this device really uses PPC OS then I think the sceen is either 2,8" at 320x240 pixel or a Sony UX-50 style 3,2" at 480 x 320 pixel.

Regarding the different keyboard layouts:

Maybe Motorola just decided to incorporate another row of keys in a late development stage which is not yet visible on some of the photos....

JonnoB
02-20-2004, 09:03 PM
The measurement tool in Photoshop is a real boon.

Assuming the SD slot at the lower left side is 23mm in height, then the whole unit is 92mm tall.

Assuming the SD slot is 25mm in height I calculate the dimension to be 100mm.

You can get a sense for how small it is with the new high-res picture of the person holding the device. It really is small. If it truly does have integrated BT and WiFi in addition to being a phone, I believe this is as close to an ultimate device that I have ever thought could happen this year.

GoldKey
02-20-2004, 09:03 PM
I am intrigued by the dual hinge, but I must be missing something, where is the data connector between the two parts?

JonnoB
02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
I am intrigued by the dual hinge, but I must be missing something, where is the data connector between the two parts?

There is one common hinge between the sides that is permanent - wiring must go through there. It has to be VERY sturdy!

GoldKey
02-20-2004, 09:08 PM

There is one common hinge between the sides that is permanent - wiring must go through there. It has to be VERY sturdy!

Thanks - So the common hinge piviots both ways and the other end is just a secondary lock to give it some stability in either particular orientation?

JonnoB
02-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks - So the common hinge piviots both ways and the other end is just a secondary lock to give it some stability in either particular orientation?

That is what it looks like. If you examine the earlier picture (the one with the OK and Windows button/label) then you will see that the latching hinge that is unlatched at the bottom left, the closed latch at the top right and the common hinge at the top left. If look carefully, you will see that the top right and bottom left hinge connect the same way when closed.

Jonathon Watkins
02-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Hmmm, I can't get through to the pocketpcitalia site.

Maybe they've been PPCT'd? :wink:

powder2000
02-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, I can't get through to the pocketpcitalia site.

Maybe they've been PPCT'd? :wink:

My pocket pc thoughts exactly :lol:

yslee
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
You know, the original pic has a far more appealing keyboard to me..

yslee
02-21-2004, 12:12 AM
I just realised this pic lacks the common hinge design of the other pic.. maybe the other pic is closer to the real thing?

stjohn1335
02-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Hmm, I just had a thought. Some are worried that the single hinge might be too easily snapped when rotating. But imagine the phone closed--the hinges will be locked on both sides, for a total of 3 sides clamped down--a rather secure closed position. From here you have the option of opening it up horizontally or vertically. Therefore if you are worried about snapping the hinge, just make sure you close the phone before reorienting. That way you always have at least 2 hinges attached! I wouldn't be suprised if Motorola requires this and powers the phone off when neither hinges are secured.

EDIT: Looking at the picture, I think I'm right! Notice the upper-left hinge. The male connector is on the keyboard half, NOT the screen half. So as you open the phone horizontally (as in this picture), the top half is locked in place and cannot be un-hinged. You would have to completely close the phone to rotate the hinge opening enough to open the phone vertically. It looks however like you can un-hinge it vertically while opened.

JonnoB
02-21-2004, 12:26 AM
You know, the original pic has a far more appealing keyboard to me..
You can't even realy see the keyboard in the original picture... It may be a keyboard, a membrane template, etc. Until there is something official, these could be all variations of several different mock-ups.

I just realised this pic lacks the common hinge design of the other pic.. maybe the other pic is closer to the real thing?
It has the exact same common hinge. The case color is different however. The common hinge is on the top right when the unit is closed or on the right axis when open in either portrait or landscape mode.

Hmm, I just had a thought. Some are worried that the single hinge might be too easily snapped when rotating. But imagine the phone closed--the hinges will be locked on both sides, for a total of 3 sides clamped down--a rather secure closed position. From here you have the option of opening it up horizontally or vertically. Therefore if you are worried about snapping the hinge, just make sure you close the phone before reorienting. That way you always have at least 2 hinges attached! I wouldn't be suprised if Motorola requires this and powers the phone off on only 1 hinge to suppress use in this weakened state.

I believe you are correct... and it would be a secure closure for sure. It looks like the grooves of the hinge will not allow more than one axis to be opened against that single hinge at a time. That being the case, it will likely be very strong even when open.

Phoenix
02-21-2004, 12:26 AM
According to the site, it's supposed to have GSM/GPRS, WiFi, and Bluetooth, and of course, the camera and an SD slot. Sounds cool to me.

This would be like having an iPAQ 6300, but even better with the integrated keyboard/keypad. And more mobile.

Maybe this will be the convergent device we've all been waiting for!

Bet this will hit the pocketbook something awful, though. But what can you expect with all that tech?

yslee
02-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Ah, my mistake; wasn't looking correctly. You are right that they could all be mockups.

Hopefully it's not gonna cost US$999...

gregz
02-21-2004, 01:24 AM
But imagine the phone closed--the hinges will be locked on both sides, for a total of 3 sides clamped down--a rather secure closed position.

If it is clamped down on three sides, how do you ever open it?

Rather secure!

:wink:

jlp
02-21-2004, 10:33 PM

An image being worth a tousand words, I made this:

http://www.ami-proweb.com/div/moto300.jpg

the red line shows the right hinge that's part of the bottom half (with keyboard)
the green line shows the top hinge that's part of the top half (with the screen)
the blue line shows the data cable path

Hope it helps understanding better how this double hinge thing works.

And it doesn't look like it's closed on 3 sides: it's open on the 2 opposite sides to the hinges.

Jonathon Watkins
02-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Jlp - thanks for that - it's very helpful to visualise what's going on.