View Full Version : How often do you print from your PPC?

senfeng
02-20-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm just wondering how many of you out there print from your PPC. This is something that I always felt was cool about Bluetooth and IR, but I've seen minimal support for this feature. Its really something that I was hoping would be part of WM2003. So... am I the only one using this feature? Wouldn't you like to print out your PhatPad or Sticky notes? Pictures? Websites? EMail? None of the printing apps I've found cover all of these cases. Some, like PhatPad notes, are impossible to print unless you convert it to an image, which is a pain when you've got several pages of notes! :evil: ugh...

Kevin Remhof
02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Printing from my Pocket PC has never been a big feature for me. If I want to print, I do it from my desktop. I think it's a lot easier to play with printer settings from my desk than from my Pocket PC.

Besides, the printer/copier/scanner/coffee maker here at work tends to be on the fritz a lot. I print things out well in advance of meetings so my Pocket PC would not be much of an advantage.

dmacburry2003
02-20-2004, 04:03 PM
I print to the network (via Wi-Fi) all the time. I find that a Pocket PC is very capable of doing these things and doing them quickly :D

Sven Johannsen
02-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Need an option between several times a month and never. I don't think I do it as frequently as several times a month. I tend not to be near a printer when I need info from my PPC. If I am near a printer I tend to be able to get to the data on a PC.

I did have the opportunity to impress some folks with the printing capability. Someone needed directions to somewhere, so I pulled up Mapopolis, had it generate the directions, saved them into a text file, and printed them via IR to a nearby HP printer. Everyone was quite surprised at what the little 'Palm Pilot' could do. Yes, I explained the difference. :)

drop
02-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Save the forest :lol: !

No, I am going for as paper-less as possible, hence PDA. Personally I don't (or haven't yet) see the need to print to paper from my PDA at all.

I don't even print from PC much ever since I discovered Repligo. Most data I need can be stored and transmitted electronically.

DimensionZero
02-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Never had to print from my PDA so far, and like drop, I'm trying to keep a paperless office =)

Although, I would like to at least try it out and see what it's like hehe.

JustinGTP
02-20-2004, 06:49 PM
At school we have an HP Laserjet printer with IR. So yes, I print documents for all types of classes on there - I even go down there during another class to get it printed.

-Justin.

Falstaff
02-20-2004, 11:49 PM
I tried checking for settings on my PPC about printing but couldn't find anything, and I never got around to asking on here. How do you set up a network printer over wi-fi on a PPC? Thanks

Sven Johannsen
02-21-2004, 07:22 AM
You start by installing an add-on printing capability. There is no default printing capability on the PPC. There are some third party programs that support a wide assortment of printers and support numerous file formats for printing. There is also an HP printing solution that is free, but doesn't support as many printers or file formats. But there are some third party file viewers that support the HP printing solution. So, bottom line is you gotta add something. I'm sure this will generate discussion of which option you should add :)