View Full Version : Any thoughts about the gay marriage situation?

sublime
02-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Should gay marriages be allowed?

-If you don't think so, please state your reasons
-If you are a moderator and are going to close this post, please tell me why you will do so.

I hope to have a serious, rational discussion, where emotions are checked at the door. Explain your thoughts, and not your feelings. Also (I know this may be asking for much) if you could be so kind, say a little about yourself, whether you are married, with or without children, your age, your religion, and what not.

I am 21, a Student, single and without kids, and spiritual rather than religious, and I believe that gay marriages should be allowed.

My father, 59, married for 27 years, with three children, and not religious, thinks otherwise. His argument: that gay marriage is against nature, and, as such, should not be permitted.

Your thoughts?

PetiteFlower
02-19-2004, 08:02 PM
I don't think this topic can be discussed rationally in this community without getting people upset. I'm not touching this.

Jacob
02-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Absolutely, YES.

First of all, I don't see what the church has to do with this, this is about whether the government should allow it. In the U.S. there is the separation of church and state(or there's supposed to be).. how can this be a religious argument then?

I think the primary issue is that married couples get benefits that singles that aren't married to not: Tax benefits, employee benefits, etc..

Why shouldn't a gay couple have these rights if they love and share their lives as much as any heterosexual couple??

This is a dangerous topic just because opinions can be strong about something like this. I do hope that people can keep it civil.

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I purposefully updated the description of the Off Topic forum last week to include this text: "No politics or religion discussions please - let's keep things friendly." The issue of gay marriage is an explosive one in both the political and religious circles, so it absolutely goes against the forum topic guidelines.

Sublime, you seem to enjoy having discussions on potentially "hot" issues, which is ok, but Pocket PC Thoughts is not the appropriate forum for such things. Every time we've discussed religion or politics, it gets incredibly ugly, incredibly fast. They're very damaging to a community of Pocket PC users. :( There are other forums more suited for discussions like that, and I'd urge you to find one. Thread locked.