View Full Version : problems with 2210 and 3650

nirav28
02-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere.

Why the heck does a Ipaq 2210 not play nice with a Nokia 3650 when it comes to dialing via GPRS.?? I have the Tmobile unlimited GPRS plan and want to finally add internet connectivety to a pda. (2210). I have setup the dialing options according to www.geekzone.com. The 2210 has no problem connecting to the 3650. But the actual dialing fails. I'm using *99# as the connection string. I also tried *99***1# as the dialing number. But no luck. Anyone else have problems with this? Am I missing something. If you need more info..send me a message and I'll explain in detail. Help me please. This is frustrating!!! arghhhhhhhh!!!

BTW, the Gprs works fine when using a application on the phone itself. Such as realplayer, ftp etc.
Thanks
nirav

bljarv
02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
I am running your exact setup and got it to work, but I had to spend some serious time on the phone with T-mobile first. The tech that finally got me connected gave me the following connection string to use:
+cgdcont=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com" (including the quotes, but not this parenthetical statement)

You might try that with the *99# and see if that gets you what you need.

Let us know how it goes.

nirav28
02-19-2004, 06:30 PM
I am running your exact setup and got it to work, but I had to spend some serious time on the phone with T-mobile first. The tech that finally got me connected gave me the following connection string to use:
+cgdcont=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com" (including the quotes, but not this parenthetical statement)

You might try that with the *99# and see if that gets you what you need.

Let us know how it goes.

Wooohoo..that connection string you gave me worked!!! Thanks!!!!!
So i guess the 2210 isn't sending the proper initialization string to the gprs modem on the 3650 it seems.

But i'm a happy camper now. Thanks again!

bljarv
02-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm glad that worked - happy surfing! :)

Now what you need to do is evaluate whether or not you really need to have the unlimited data. If you're only using it for web and email from your handheld, you can actually get by with their unlimited T-zones which is way cheaper. If you're using T-Mobile for access through your laptop or other device too, then you'll need to stick with the internet plan.

Hope that's not too confusing...

vicstone
02-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I have iPAQ-2210, Nokia-3650 with TMobile service. I can connect my 2210 via bluetooth to 3650 and make it dial a number. I also have Earthlink Cable internet in NYC.

What I need is to get some cheap ISP that supports iPAQs. Do you know of any? Also, how could I set up my iPAQ to dial your recommended string
+cgdcont=1,,"internet2.voicestream.com" automatically?

I would appreciate any help and advice on this matter.

Thank you.

bljarv
02-21-2004, 12:57 AM
That depends if you're using PPC 2002 or 2003. What do you have on your device?

nirav28
02-21-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm glad that worked - happy surfing! :)

Now what you need to do is evaluate whether or not you really need to have the unlimited data. If you're only using it for web and email from your handheld, you can actually get by with their unlimited T-zones which is way cheaper. If you're using T-Mobile for access through your laptop or other device too, then you'll need to stick with the internet plan.

Hope that's not too confusing...

Well , I came across a recent thread at howardforums.com about using the free wap.voicestream.com apn for browsing and email. The problem is, I also use AIM/MSN/FTP etc. If I can simply get AIM and MSN to work over HTTP/80, I would dump the $19.99 GPRS plan in an heardbeat.
I'm not too concerned with FTP, since I only ftp to my personal site. So I could use webupload/http post to move my files to the server. But the instant messaging anywhere has spoiled me since I got this GPRS to work on my 2210.

tough choices...!!

vicstone
02-22-2004, 03:11 PM
That depends if you're using PPC 2002 or 2003. What do you have on your device?

My 2210 came with PPC 2003.

bljarv
02-23-2004, 06:00 PM
In 2003, here's how you do it:
Go to the connection applet
Tap on "Add a new modem connection" under "My ISP"
Name your connection and select your modem (probably "Bluetooth Dialup Modem")
Tap "Next"
For the number, enter *99# and tap "Next"
Leave the User name and password blank, but tap on the "Advanced..." button
Enter the dialup string indicated in this thread into "Extra dial-string modem commands:" field
Tap "OK" to close this form
Tap on "Finish"
Use your new connection to surf to your heart's delight!!! :D

Let me know if you have any questioins