View Full Version : I'm starting to think a PPC isn't the right thing for me :(

kewlerthanu182
02-19-2004, 05:55 AM
A few days ago i was researching pda's like crazy thinking about how great it was going to be. But now I don't think I'm going to be getting one. I just thought of what I would be doing on it and what a PDA is really for. It's pretty much just a small pc with less power. I spend most of my time either at school where I don't think I would have time to use it there, or at home where I have my PC. A pc can do everything a ppc, but faster and easier. So before I completely give up on PDA's, Can any of you guys sway me back into the PDA world?

Thanks

freakygreek
02-19-2004, 06:34 AM
I'd like to let you into a little secret of mine when I purchased my pda it was at a time most affectionatly called "the arms race". A time of who had what and how better it was. As it now stands I don't think I can live without my Pda. It's become a part of me I don't have a gazzilion appt to keep track of but at the very least it keeps track of stuff that's important to me.

I've played mp3's, movies and read books so the versatilaty is there and some. I know it's small but carrying a bulky laptop on the bus or train was not an option for me. Now I won't lie there have been days that I didn't turn the unit on but in the end I always come back to it.

For example today I was at an Infection Control meeting and out came my pda with my foldable keyboard. No pen no paper it was all good baby. 8)

Well there you have my 2 cents good luck . :D

Peter

jimski
02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Well, you can use it to play games, but it's not really an ideal gaming tool. Or, you can use it to listen to music or watch video, but it's not really an ideal multimedia tool. Being in business, my uses will probably differ from yours, but here are a few;
-I keep track of appointments, including my Devils hockey ticket schedule (I am a season ticket holder)
-Keep track of tasks (to do list) as I would forget my head if it was not permanently attached.
-Maintain the last six months of Outlook Journal entries, which is nice to have when I am away from my laptop and need to find something I did months ago.
-Maintain Notes files for things like; list of part numbers for printer ink replacements or specialty batteries, a list of my available/used vacation-personal days, step by step instructions of how to perform certain tasks.
-Use Pocket Streets to find my way around an unfamiliar city.
-Maintain meeting notes for at least the past year, so I can reference info anytime, anywhere.
-Read a book when I have a few minutes.
-Use a dictionary to check word spelling/definitions and an encyclopedia to lookup facts.
-Download new email (with Bluetooth and WiFi) to refer to opened messages from the past week that I may have been too busy to read through thoroughly the first time.

Each user's needs will be different and I agree, it is much easier (and preferred) to work on a desktop/laptop. But having a way to input/retrive information anytime/anywhere is what makes my device indispensable. Hope this helps.

senfeng
02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Maybe what you have to do is figure out if there are apps on the PPC that can benefit your situation. I assume that because you're a student, you won't be using the PDA to manage your appointments because except for the occasional Date or Finals, you've pretty much know what your schedule is going to be like.

Here's what MAY be useful to you:
Calligrapher/Transcriber- Take notes without using paper. Once you get used to it, you may find that its much easier to jot a note or an idea down on your PDA than carrying a notepad around with you.
Money Management- Starving Students need to know how much $$$ they got, right?
EMail/Web Browsing- Yeah, I know that you can check your email or access the internet on your PC/Notebook, but the startup time is MUCHO faster on the PDA. There's no comparison. This is probably the biggest advantage of the PDA or PCs. Need info fast? The internet's literally at your fingertips.
Instant Messaging- I've found that I use this more than I thought I would. With Calligrapher I can easily jot down and send messages.
eBook Reader- There are so many ebooks out there and many of the classics are ABSOLUTELY FREE!!! It may save you a few bucks. For me, it saves me a lot of space. I've got about 100 ebooks on my PDA.
Converters and Calculators- If you're a tech or math guy, this comes in handy. Changing meters to feet without a converter is a hassle.
Thesaurus/Dictionary- English Major? Just writing an essay? I'm sure you can use this. I still do.

Well, I don't know you, but I'm sure that you can find some kind of app that'll be useful. The idea is to talor the device to YOUR needs. Good Luck. :D

BigDaddy
02-19-2004, 09:11 AM
All of my fellow member's comments are right on target of why you need a PPC. But, if that is not enough please pay close attention....

"WOMEN DIG SMART MEN WITH TOYS!"

Enjoy your pocket pc my friend

popabawa
02-19-2004, 10:21 AM
If you think you may not need a PDA - you probably don't....

I've seen many people buy a PDA just because of the "wow" factor or they promise themselves it'll magically help them get organised and then it sits there gathering dust.

Either your brain works that way (to suit using a PDA) or you have a specific need. Sounds to me like you don't have either :(

Save yer £££'s / $$$'s

Just my 2p's worth

Iain.

c38b2
02-19-2004, 12:34 PM
A few days ago i was researching pda's like crazy thinking about how great it was going to be. But now I don't think I'm going to be getting one. I just thought of what I would be doing on it and what a PDA is really for. It's pretty much just a small pc with less power.

This is true only for Pocket PCs. Personally, I have access to a computer everywhere I go but I still have a PDA (Palm) that I use to keep track of assignments, my schedule, jot quick notes (ever notice how hard it is to find paper when you really need it? 8O ) and also listen to MP3s and play games in my spare time. Since a Pocket PC can do this as well you may ask why I switched back to Palm, and the reason is ease of use. Every time I used my PPC it was a contant struggle just to get it to do what I wanted it to do, something inherrent to PCs but certainly that I didn't want on my PDA. :wink:

newbie2
02-19-2004, 12:57 PM
If you think you may not need a PDA - you probably don't....

I've seen many people buy a PDA just because of the "wow" factor or they promise themselves it'll magically help them get organised and then it sits there gathering dust.

Either your brain works that way (to suit using a PDA) or you have a specific need. Sounds to me like you don't have either :(

Save yer £££'s / $$$'s

Just my 2p's worth

Iain.

I agree. Don't waste your money. However, the most important thing about my PDA is as my password keeper. :D

Robb Bates
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM
While there are some things that you just have to do with a Desktop/Laptop, 90% of the things I use a computer for I can do with my PPC. For me it comes down to having a computer right there when I need it. Of course, being connnected to the internet makes it 10 times it's worth. So get a PPC with bluetooth that you can use with a bluetooth phone. Or even a PPC Phone Edition.

While sitting in a parking lot or in class at college or just in bed late at night, I can, within seconds, check my email, surf the web, listen to music or an archived radio talk show, schedule an appointment or reminder for the next day, enter a financial transanction, read an ebook, blow up some aliens, update my website, draw a picture, write a program, watch a video. And all of this I can fit into my pocket.

And as a wise man once said, which sums it up for me: "A laptop is good because you can take it with you. But a PocketPC is BETTER because you WILL take it with you."

Robb

Macguy59
02-19-2004, 05:19 PM
I think PDA's and PocketPC's are different animals. PDA's like the bare bones Palm Zire are electronic day planners. If all you need or want is to look up an address, check your schedule or jot a note then a PPC is overkill. Heck cellphones have most of that capability. If however you value things like a color screen, wireless email, richer game play or even listening to music; then a Pocket PC (or a high end Palm/Sony) becomes the better buy. As the name implies they really are a PC in your pocket. My advice would be to go on eBay and find a used/refurbished iPAQ 1910 Pocket PC. One of these can be had for only $30 more then the bare bones monochrome Palm Zire and be 10x more capable. Should you decide after using it for a couple of weeks that it's not a device you need . . . you won't have any trouble selling it back on eBay. Good luck with your decision.

PetiteFlower
02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
The most important thing that I get out of my PPC, and the reason I feel it was worth the money I spent on it, is the very fact that it's portable. I can put information on it and ALWAYS have it with me(I do always have it with me, the furthest I let it get is occasionally I'll leave it in the car when I go somewhere). Schedules, shopping lists, recipes, directions to people's houses, phone numbers, notes, whatever, always in my pocket. Not only that but it's instant boredom removal, if I find myself having to wait in line or at a doctor's office or something, I can pull out my latest ebook or quick game and the time flies by :) Yeah I can do more on a PC, but I can't take it with me everywhere! Even if I had a laptop, it's just not as convenient for on-the-go use.

If you don't think any of that would be helpful for you, then don't get one. It's not for everyone. This is why I like mine though.

Robb Bates
02-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I do always have it with me, the furthest I let it get is occasionally I'll leave it in the car when I go somewhere

You let yours get that far? I'm thinking about having mine surgically implanted. (insert borg smiley here)

Robb

MagicConch
02-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think a PC is comparable to PocketPC. I have a tablet PC., ultraportable laptop, desktop, and media PC, and really nothing compares to a pocket pc as far as coolness IMO (assuming it's hooked up to a wireless wifi network, take advantage of bluetooth devices etc). You can sit in your hot tub, put your pocket pc next to you on the ledge, and stream music through the speaker. You can just stream music through the speaker, stick it in your pocket, and let your internet radio follow you around the house. You can wake up from a nap outside, check your email in a few seconds and go back to sleep (taking your laptop out there is kind of dorky; a wallet size pocketpc is no big deal, and checking email is less of a pain on the pocket pcl). You can use it as a MP3 player. You Once you get in the car it can automatically turn into a GPS navigator with voice navigation, using the GPS receiver that is pushed way back in your glove compartment (ie Bluetooth). After that you get out of your car and walk inside the coffee house and once again it logs on, synchs up, and downloads your email once again. And once Voice over IP comes it will be incredible.

In general you will be willing to take it places you wouldn't take a laptop because it is less obtrusive and a lot less expensive.

yslee
02-20-2004, 12:26 AM

This is a very very important point many people don't realise. They buy a PDA thinking it'll help them in their lives, but because they don't really have the mindset of using one, it becomes a really good dust collector a few months later..

Sheynk
02-20-2004, 01:47 AM
A few days ago i was researching pda's like crazy thinking about how great it was going to be. But now I don't think I'm going to be getting one. I just thought of what I would be doing on it and what a PDA is really for. It's pretty much just a small pc with less power. I spend most of my time either at school where I don't think I would have time to use it there, or at home where I have my PC. A pc can do everything a ppc, but faster and easier. So before I completely give up on PDA's, Can any of you guys sway me back into the PDA world?

Thanks

Sir I am a trained Red Cross lifeguard...may I help you?

Sure PPCs are not for everyone, but you have to give them a chance. Try one out for a week and return it if you dont enjoy your experience. Just be wary of the fact that if you are buying it as a toy, its luster may wear of after a while

Best of luck,
G-Unit (ok maybe not....Gary)

Jeff Rutledge
02-20-2004, 03:38 AM
You let yours get that far? I'm thinking about having mine surgically implanted.
I'm just waiting until they give us the functionality we currently get with the platform (or better), but the interface is done with a wristwatch and sunglasses.

(insert borg smiley here)

Robb

OK... :robot:

clbsvi
02-20-2004, 03:59 AM
Am a 3.5 year PPC lover. However: Cost of really capable high-end PPC's begin to approach the cost of a NEW low-end laptop from Dell or Toshiba. Kluges needed just to keep WM 2003, Active Sync, Wi-FI, BT etc. and the like "functional" vs speed /processing power and stability of a Windows XP-based laptop make me think a PPC works best as an optional accessory for a well-heeled techie with time (and patience) to spare for fighting the PPC/Palm performance shortcomings. Nonetheless, I will continue to own at least an HP 2215-type device for the benefits of small size and portability. Why a 2215 ?? Replaceable battery plus BOTH CF and SD slot, coupled with a full set of PIM software functions in the palm of my hand. Just one dude's opinion, FWIW. BTW, my ideal really small laptop is the original Toshiba Libretto 110CT. Keep an eye also on the PPC-type Antelope Technologie product if it ever gets to market. This is a great Forum guys and gals. Best source of up-to-date info on PPC's that I know of. Keep up the good work.

Jacob
02-20-2004, 04:16 AM
This is a very very important point many people don't realise. They buy a PDA thinking it'll help them in their lives, but because they don't really have the mindset of using one, it becomes a really good dust collector a few months later..

You're right. In my case, however I am not the kind of person who would normally use a PDA. I have learned and forced myself though because it IS useful and it helps me remember things that I normally might forget.

You can change your behavior to use the PDA as a useful tool and a fun thing to own, but you have to want it ;)

kewlerthanu182
02-20-2004, 04:41 AM
thanks alot for all the responses. Right now i'm thinking of getting a PDA and it I don't like it i can return it (right?). I would be looking to buy the ipaw 2210 so thats pretty much $399 everywhere. So where is a place i could get one and have around a week to return for all my money back?

Some places around where i live are circuit city, compusa, best buy, staples, office max and pribably some more I can't think of at the time.

Thanks again for the help :D

O and i forgot to ask this. Does anyone know around how fast i could input words with the software they supply (or i could download free), could i type up essays and things like that in a decent amount of time?

yslee
02-20-2004, 04:54 AM
You can change your behavior to use the PDA as a useful tool and a fun thing to own, but you have to want it ;)

Ah, but some don't change too well. I for one bought a PDA phone to force myself to use a PDA. I don't deny it's usefulness; saved my ass today, in fact!

yslee
02-20-2004, 04:55 AM
O and i forgot to ask this. Does anyone know around how fast i could input words with the software they supply (or i could download free), could i type up essays and things like that in a decent amount of time?

Slow. Stylus input systems to me all suck. Now if the PDA has no thumbboard etc, it's a no go for me.

senfeng
02-20-2004, 06:04 AM
thanks alot for all the responses. Right now i'm thinking of getting a PDA and it I don't like it i can return it (right?). I would be looking to buy the ipaw 2210 so thats pretty much $399 everywhere. So where is a place i could get one and have around a week to return for all my money back?

Some places around where i live are circuit city, compusa, best buy, staples, office max and pribably some more I can't think of at the time.

Thanks again for the help :D

O and i forgot to ask this. Does anyone know around how fast i could input words with the software they supply (or i could download free), could i type up essays and things like that in a decent amount of time?Sorry, I don't think I've ever returned a PDA.

As for documents, essays, etc., I wouldn't recomend a PDA. I write documents for work pretty much daily and its a task that I feel would be too slow on the PDA. I think with Calligrapher I can probably jot down about 20 wpm (never timed myself). Its almost as fast as I can write on paper. I'd still rather type. It's not horrendous, mind you. I'm using Calligrapher to write this message. Its just slower than typing. I have used it to take notes and to write parts of docs when I'm at lunch or something like that, but I don't think I'd use it to create an actual document. I use a lot of formatting in my docs.

PetiteFlower
02-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Course you can get a folding keyboard, then you can be able to type portably. They've come down a bit in price too, though I haven't found one I like yet. I want one that has IR connection(need my port free to attach cell phone) and has the full 5 rows of keys(I don't want my numbers to have to share keys with my letters).