View Full Version : 415x Battery Life

Dave Potter
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I have had my 4150 for a week now - and I love almost everything about it. I say almost everything because I am a little dissappointed by the battery life. I have WiFi on almost constantly and find that the battery life isn't all that great relative to what I was getting with my 1935 with a Socket SDIO WiFi card.

Maybe it's just my perception - but I don't think so. It just seems like the 4150 battery runs down faster. I'm curious to know what sort of battery life other 415x users are getting using WiFi extensively.

In the meantime, I have already ordered an extended battery. Hopefully this will be a solution.

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 10:50 PM
I have had my 4150 for a week now - and I love almost everything about it. I say almost everything because I am a little dissappointed by the battery life. I have WiFi on almost constantly and find that the battery life isn't all that great relative to what I was getting with my 1935 with a Socket SDIO WiFi card.

I am using my 1935 with the SanDisk Connect Wi-Fi SD card (jeez I am really tired of writing that) and I feel that my battery life when the card is inserted is EXTREMELY limited. How can the 4150 have less life when it has a bigger capacity battery?

Pat Logsdon
02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't have a problem with mine, and I came from an Axim X5. I thought that I would notice a big difference, but realistically, after several months of using it, it's much better than I thought it would be. I'm not a huge WiFi user, however. A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

I DID purchase an extra AC adapter to use at work, though. I just plug it into my keyboard and it sits there happily charging all day... 8)

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm not a huge WiFi user, however. A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

I know what you mean, I am constantly "turning off" the Wi-Fi card when it is plugged in.

I also found out that changing the power save options in the card settings can actually improve performance. It improves it greatly. I believe I posted in another forum that I was having problems with the xfer speed of the card slowing every few minutes. Turning off power save stopped that from happening. :D

PS: Surgical Snack, I just realized why your avatar is so familiar! It looks like that Grim and Evil guy on Cartoon Network! Lol.

Dave Potter
02-18-2004, 11:06 PM
I am using my 1935 with the SanDisk Connect Wi-Fi SD card (jeez I am really tired of writing that) and I feel that my battery life when the card is inserted is EXTREMELY limited. How can the 4150 have less life when it has a bigger capacity battery?

I agree. It should not be the case. But it appears to be. I can't quantify it in terms of time - but it seems to run down faster. Or maybe I'm just using the 4150 more 'cause I love it so much.

I'm hoping that other 415x users who use WiFi alot can help shed some light on this in more quantifyable terms. Am I crazy? How long does your battery last with WiFi on? (I added a poll to this thread)

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 11:07 PM
I would post the actual time of life for my 1935 with the card on, but I do not feel like waiting for it to die :wink:

Dave Potter
02-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Another poll for non 415x users - HERE (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24666)

Pat Logsdon
02-18-2004, 11:31 PM
PS: Surgical Snack, I just realized why your avatar is so familiar! It looks like that Grim and Evil guy on Cartoon Network! Lol.
Never seen it. :mrgreen: It's actually a recurring character (http://www.shag.com/soulpatch/deaths.html) in prints by an artist named Shag. 8)

To get back on topic, while the majority of my WiFi usage is light, I HAVE used it extensively on several occasions. In those instances, I think ~2.5 hours is about right. I think I have ~15% battery life left at that point, if I recall correctly.

ignar
02-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Both Wifi and Bluetooth eat battery fairly quick. I turned them off whenever I don't use them. As long as I don't use Wifi and BT too much, the battery life of 4150 is acceptable.

PetiteFlower
02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
The 4150 does have a faster processer then the 1935 so that could be the difference you're seeing. Try running it in Power Save mode and see if that helps. Also try turning down the backlight a few notches.