View Full Version : Cheap Hardware Keystroke Logger?

David Prahl
02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a hardware keystroke logger device fairly inexpensively? New "KeyKatchers" are about $55, and eBay doesn't have anything cheaper than $45. Anyone have one they'd like to sell me? Or give me? :lol:

Don't worry - no malicious intent.

JustinGTP
02-18-2004, 09:30 PM
David!!!

Who do you plan on spying on?

GoldKey
02-18-2004, 09:45 PM
I was trying to think up a non-malicious use for this and could not come up with one.

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I was trying to think up a non-malicious use for this and could not come up with one.

Parent monitoring child's internet activity. Every hour, the computer sends a list of sites visited to the parent, with a log of all the strokes the child entered.

JackTheTripper
02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Here for $25
http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10128351.html?tag=lst-0-1

JackTheTripper
02-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Whoops, sorry. :oops: Thought it was capture keystrokes from hardware. (Keyboard being the hardware.)

I just looked up the other one and get it now. :(

JustinGTP
02-18-2004, 10:00 PM
But we all know that David isnt a parent....

GoldKey
02-18-2004, 10:40 PM

Parent monitoring child's internet activity. Every hour, the computer sends a list of sites visited to the parent, with a log of all the strokes the child entered.

That would be done with software. The device he is talking about is a piece of hardware goes between the keyboard and pc. Mostly they are used when the PC is locked down such that a software based monitoring tool can't be installed, but you can get physical access to the machine.

David Prahl
02-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks, everyone, but I would prefer a hardware version.

I'm not a parent (heck, I can't even buy alcohol yet!).

It's for a practical joke a teacher at school and I are playing on another teacher (nothing like credit card or email fraud). Convert? Yes. Malicious? No.

GoldKey
02-18-2004, 11:04 PM

It's for a practical joke a teacher at school and I are playing on another teacher (nothing like credit card or email fraud). Convert? Yes. Malicious? No.

Just be pretty confident that the other party will find this funny. Also, I would not recommend pulling this on a school owned machine, especially if it is used by more than one person. If caught by the wrong person, there are probably quite a few laws that could be used against you.

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 11:52 PM

What are you going to do, monitor his/her activities and then approach him/her as if you are psychic or something and tell him/her what they have been doing?

Seriously though, your teacher should watch out because I'm sure they could get fired for that 8O And who knows what they would do to you :shocked!:

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Yep, definitely do NOT want to do this on a school computer. If administrators find out. one of the lighter sentences you'd get for that is being expelled from school. Then it goes up to some jail time a little higher up the ladder.

What sort of practical joke would be worth that?

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Yep, definitely do NOT want to do this on a school computer. If administrators find out. one of the lighter sentences you'd get for that is being expelled from school. Then it goes up to some jail time a little higher up the ladder.

What sort of practical joke would be worth that?

Not to mention how much the keyboard would cost :roll:

Sorry to ruin your fun, but that is really a bad idea. :(

Janak Parekh
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Just be pretty confident that the other party will find this funny. Also, I would not recommend pulling this on a school owned machine, especially if it is used by more than one person. If caught by the wrong person, there are probably quite a few laws that could be used against you.
Agreed. David, don't do it. It's not worth the potential risks, especially if it's a school computer. The fact another teacher is helping you doesn't help -- they'll probably get reprimanded too. High schools, especially, are very intolerant of things like this nowadays.

--janak

JackTheTripper
02-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Word!

I didn't know it was for a school PC.

David Prahl
02-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Okay! Okay! We'll do a non-computer prank.

Just out of curiousity (and I mean that) - does anyone know what the harshest sentance could be for someone my age?

dmacburry2003
02-19-2004, 02:40 AM
Okay! Okay! We'll do a non-computer prank.

Just out of curiousity (and I mean that) - does anyone know what the harshest sentance could be for someone my age?

Getting your PC and your Pocket PC taken away by a school official! 8O

Janak Parekh
02-19-2004, 03:33 AM
For you? Probably nothing in court... just a non-trivial suspension.

--janak

David Prahl
02-19-2004, 03:48 AM
Thank you to everyone for reminding me that hacking is foolish, even when it seems harmless.

GoldKey
03-26-2004, 05:49 PM
David, FYI, check out this http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/26/0212215.shtml?tid=123&tid=126&tid=172&tid=99

Apparently they are bring Federal Wiretap charges against the guy for using a keykatcher. Of course his motives were less benign than yours.

dmacburry2003
03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
David, FYI, check out this http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/26/0212215.shtml?tid=123&tid=126&tid=172&tid=99

Apparently they are bring Federal Wiretap charges against the guy for using a keykatcher. Of course his motives were less benign than yours.

LOL!!!

I saw one on Geek.com about the same thing and was going to post it, but I thought the post would be dead anyway :lol:

Guess not :wink:

David Prahl
03-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Yeah, and read that today.

8O

"Keep your nose clean, kid!"