View Full Version : Notepad or Wordprocessor for longer text?

bpkri
02-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I wonder if anyone has an answer to this question. I have bought a Pocket PC (ipaq 2210) not long ago. My problem is, that I would need a software, that can properly handle longer texts. With my palm (m515) that was not a problem. I had qed, really nice program. It took its time to store texts and compress them, if wanted, sure, but at least when you were writing it handeled the input quite fast.

Now with my Pocket PC things are different. Pocket Word may be nice, but I experienced it getting quite slow when entering longer texts. Whether they were Pocket Word, Word or Plain Text files made no difference. With longer text I can start typing a word and then slowly watch it appear. (I might be exaggerating a bit here - but Pocket Word is slow) Then I have a Notepad like application (built into Total Commander for WinCE). Sadly it can only handle text files up to a size of 64 kb. :( Doesn't really help, also. Are there any alternatives? Ofcourse preferably freeware, but I am sure willing to pay for good software, too.

Eraserhead
02-19-2004, 04:28 AM
The only usable word processor for Pocket PC is TextMaker (http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm), its expansive thoug, 50 buck I think.

Janak Parekh
02-19-2004, 05:23 AM
TextMaker is indeed good -- and may be your best bet. But out of curiosity, how big is your file? Pocket Word can handle decent sized files, but that's a relative term.

--janak

bpkri
02-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Well, my test file at the moment is nearing 64 kb of ASCII text. I am using the Total Commander builtin editor. With Pocket Word I experience slow response to input. :/
I might give TextMaker a try, but it is damn expensive, especially for European Customers. Especially at the moment - even when considering VAT there is a difference of about 15 EUR! (If I did not calculate incorrectly...)
Also it's a bit like breaking a fly on the wheel. Usually I would do the formatting afterwards (For example using LaTeX or make HTML from the ascii text), but as I said, I am willing to give TextMaker a try. If it works, hell, I will use a full grown Word Processor, sure!

PR.
02-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, my test file at the moment is nearing 64 kb of ASCII text. I am using the Total Commander builtin editor. With Pocket Word I experience slow response to input. :/
I might give TextMaker a try, but it is damn expensive, especially for European Customers. Especially at the moment - even when considering VAT there is a difference of about 15 EUR! (If I did not calculate incorrectly...)
Also it's a bit like breaking a fly on the wheel. Usually I would do the formatting afterwards (For example using LaTeX or make HTML from the ascii text), but as I said, I am willing to give TextMaker a try. If it works, hell, I will use a full grown Word Processor, sure!

I bought my copy a long time ago and when given the option of being a euro or US customer I selected US (I live in the UK) paid a bit less than the Euro price, and nowadays with the weak dollar you should be able to get it for £27 :D