View Full Version : Easily converting tracks on PC for use on iPaq

treefrog
02-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi,

Like many people I've got a Windows Media Player Library on my PC that consists of tracks stored as either WAV files or lossless WMA files. These give the best quality for playback on a hi-fi but of course are much too large to be practical on my iPaq.

I can't find any Microsoft solution that will transparently convert /download tracks onto my iPaq and automatically convert them to a lossy format (e.g. 64 kbps WMA). I'm surprised that Windows Media Player doesn't seem to be able to do this - as it does seem to be able to do something similar if I was using a more limited device such as a Nomad Jukebox, Rio, iRiver etc.

Am I missing something obvious here? Basically, an option in Media Player to copy tracks to an iPaq whilst converting them to a certain sized WMA?

Thanks,

Dave

wiljs
02-18-2004, 01:03 PM
1. connect ipaq to pc
2. open windows media player
3. select copy to cd or device
4. select tools from the menu bar, then options
5. select Devices tab...on mine I can see the ipaq,
the storage card, and the ipaq file store...you
would probably want to choose the storage card...
6. once you highlight the storage card choose
properties, that allows you to either let wmp decide
what size is best, or you can choose select quality
level and then slide the bar to whatever quality you wish
7. then click ok and ok to get back to the wmp
8. choose content from the left side of the screen...
for example choose an album, then highlight
all the tracks and
9. right click to get the context menu and choose
copy to cd or device
10. Now you should be able to find the ipaq,
file store, and storage card listed along with your
cd drives on the right screen...choose storage card
9. then click copy on the top right of your screen

piece of cake, eh?

:)

Hi,

Like many people I've got a Windows Media Player Library on my PC that consists of tracks stored as either WAV files or lossless WMA files. These give the best quality for playback on a hi-fi but of course are much too large to be practical on my iPaq.

I can't find any Microsoft solution that will transparently convert /download tracks onto my iPaq and automatically convert them to a lossy format (e.g. 64 kbps WMA). I'm surprised that Windows Media Player doesn't seem to be able to do this - as it does seem to be able to do something similar if I was using a more limited device such as a Nomad Jukebox, Rio, iRiver etc.

Am I missing something obvious here? Basically, an option in Media Player to copy tracks to an iPaq whilst converting them to a certain sized WMA?

Thanks,

Dave

treefrog
02-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Brilliant! That works admirably - I knew there must be some nice integrated way!

Thanks again,

Dave

wiljs
02-18-2004, 01:51 PM
actually I know how to move video to ppcs but I use windows media encoder to convert the mpeq files to wma...but what are the best settings for that for the very best quality that the ppc will support? my films come out herky jerky....

and i was glad to be of service...

:)

arnage2
02-18-2004, 01:52 PM
use advance wma workshop. It will convert mp3, wma, wav, and ogg into any one of those formats, and change the bitrate. I love this program. Unfortunatly it costs around $20, but its worth it.

Mitchybums
02-18-2004, 03:48 PM
if it's just for wav and mp3 you can use MP3 Re-Encoder, a free frontend program for Lame, and it will allow you to batch convert these audio files to lower bitrate and either mono or stereo.
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&productId=110744