View Full Version : What can I or can't put on an SD card

freakygreek
02-18-2004, 05:34 AM
I know that I can put certain files on my sd card but I can put programs like Pocket Informant on my card. If so can how do I do this.

Thanks Peter

Jeff Rutledge
02-18-2004, 06:35 AM
The only thing you should really avoid putting on a storage card is something that's used at Startup, especially Today screen apps (i.e. Dashboard, PI Today, Pocket Plus, etc.).

Most other programs are OK from a storage card.

To get them there, when you install an app, ActiveSync asks if you want to install it to the default directory. Select "No" here and then it will ask you where you want to put it. Just select your SD or CF card and it will go from there.

freakygreek
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replie. I guess I have to be careful as to which apps I install or I'll run out of space quick :D .

Thanks Peter

arnage2
02-18-2004, 01:49 PM
i suggest puting games and non essential apps onto your memory card. Just remember to keep the card in while you are using the program. I accidentally removed my card on my old 2215 while i was running pocket music. Every time i would turn it on it would say "Cant fine pocket music.exe." I couldnt get it to go away.

cml
02-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Most programs run fine from a storage card, but I've found the occasional one that seems to only run from main memory. This usually leads to me uninstalling the program, unless I really need it. :?
Programs used on the today screen should be in main memory. Sometimes programs force themselves into main memory on install but you can move them to a storage card with a little hacking around. It really depends on the application....

ppcsurfr
02-19-2004, 04:41 AM
I normally put files in it... Files do not necessary have to be in the main memory and over time just gets larger and larger...

As for Applications, as long as they are not system applications and are not as critical as PIM apps or system apps, then you can place them in the storage card.

Developers often state if you can safely place them in the Storage card. If they don't, it's better to be safe and install them into the main memory.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo