View Full Version : Just Upgraded my X5

VidGameKing
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah I downloaded the upgrade file and preformed the "hacked" upgrade! It works great and I like having the newer system. I just wish I had the Battery and the Brightness controls in the switcher bar displayed all the time. I was actually considering buying a new PDA probably one of those 2100 series from HP. you know the ones that look just like the axim just a little smaller. but I found this upgrade so I dont feel like I need to buy anything until PPC2004 comes out. or PPC2005. also 'd like to ask a question: is the SD port on the axim SD-IO or not? has anyone tryied it? I know that way back when when this board was new We talked about it. But I dont remeber anyone actually trying to get an SDIO device to work in it. I know that Dell says ti isn't but in practical use does it work?

Dubs
02-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Mind elaborating a bit? As in what hacked upgrade? What do you like about it? Improvements over PPC03?

Regarding SDIO... I did try it one time, but with a card of questionable history (as in we didn't know if it worked). It did not work. But again take that with a grain of salt. It may have been a bad card.

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Slot is not SDIO. You'll have to use the CF slot for peripherals like wifi or cameras.

I wouldn't brag about stealing the upgrade though. Would serve you right if you ended up with the version that caused the serious slowdown issues a few months back. Personally I really don't see a need to upgrade at all, 2002 is what the X5 was designed for and it works fine for me.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't brag about stealing the upgrade though. Would serve you right if you ended up with the version that caused the serious slowdown issues a few months back. Personally I really don't see a need to upgrade at all, 2002 is what the X5 was designed for and it works fine for me.

Would agree on both counts, but if VidGameKing (or anyone else for that matter!) wants to upgrade the x5 the legal way, the WM2003 upgrade is still available for under $30 at Dell.com (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=PPC3ENG&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=4327&page=external)

KCT

VidGameKing
03-06-2004, 08:02 AM
nope the version that I happen to have is the update they sent out to repair the initaial problems. and yes your probably right I should not brag about it. it is sort of stupid. anyways I like the OS it works good. I not sure if it was the most nessecery of upgrades I dont see too many improvements. anyways I would like to mention though that the Axim was created during a strange time in PocketPC History. At the time PocketPC 2002 was released and mad public intel was still perfecting it's new XSCALE chips. PocketPC2002 was designed and optimized for ARM based processors. the Reason PocketPC 2003 makes the X5 run faster is because it is actually an operating system that is truely optimized for the XSCALE processors.

David Prahl
03-11-2004, 03:51 PM
I've used X5s running the early 2002 OS, the late 2002, and WM2003. I personally prefer the 2002 OS with a PXA255. I bought my X5, with the PXA250, the week it was announced. Very few problems.

If I could get an X3i running the 2002 OS with a PXA263... :drool: