View Full Version : Blinded by Bluetooth

woffles
02-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know of a way to shut off the annoying flash of bluetooth? It would be nice to lie in bed at night and not be blinded while doing a little surfing.

whydidnt
02-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Probably not the solution you're looking for, but I use a fingernail polish that matches the exerior surrounding the blinding light. You may have to replace it from time to time, but the good thing is it that it is not permanent so you can remove it if you want to sell the unit.

Good question - why do manufacturers think we need to advertise our bluetooth connection to the world? It seems every bluetooth product I have seen has this same annonyance. :cry:

whydidnt

Deemo
02-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Let's see:

1. Duct tape
2. Go wifi instead
3. Turn on bedroom light for more ambient light

That's all I can come up with for now. :wink:

Janak Parekh
02-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Read this thread -- you might find it useful:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3207

--janak

woffles
02-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Well, thanks for the tips so far. I'd rather not paint it if I don't have to. I have a wifi CF card but I prefer the convenience of bluetooth. I wore out the CF slot on my old PDA switching back and forth. I'm looking for a software solution. That link above talked mostly about phones and didn't have a solution either. It may need fixing in the driver. It's stupid because it doesn't even show a connection. It just blinks because bluetooth is activated.

grubbsy
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
what kind of handheld is it? I have an ipaq, and I can just disable bluetooth and the light shuts off

davidb67
02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
grubbsy, if he disables bluetooth to knock the light out, then he's going to lose his internet connection........

woffles
02-18-2004, 07:55 PM
I have a HP2215. What would be nice is if the light blinked when bluetooth was activated and dimmed and went steady when connected.

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I have a HP2215. What would be nice is if the light blinked when bluetooth was activated and dimmed and went steady when connected.
Actually, I'd prefer dimmed and steady all the time -- maybe a bit brighter when it's being used. Why do we need the blink at all? That way, I'd be able to leave BT on all the time without having to think about it. I can't imagine that the LED eats up any significant amount of power, be it off, blinking, or steady...

--janak