View Full Version : Imate and Cingular

cmccarter
02-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Is anyone using the i-mate on the cingular network? Cingular tells me that since I am using an unsupported phone that it will not connect to their network via gprs at all. I'm pretty sure this is wrong but need some help getting it set up correctly... Any help appreciated.

chester

Sparkomatic
02-19-2004, 04:45 AM
I'm using my i-mate on T-Mobile's network here in the US (which, I'm told, is the same network as Cingular). As a matter of fact, it shows Cingular as the Service Provider on my phone.

GPRS works on it. When I set it up, I just told them it was a PPC Phone Edition.

Janak Parekh
02-19-2004, 05:19 AM
GPRS works on it. When I set it up, I just told them it was a PPC Phone Edition.
Actually, T-Mobile and Cingular have different networks, but they share parts of them with each other.

In any case, the I-Mate should work fine with the parts of Cingular that are 1900MHz, since it's GSM. I don't believe the I-Mate has GSM 850 support, so if you're in that part of Cingular territory I'd avoid it. Also, T-Mobile uses a different APN than Cingular, and they support the "old" Pocket PC Phone Edition, so T-Mobile's internet2 APN won't work. cmccarter, I suggest you head over to HowardForums.com and see if they have info on Cingular's GPRS settings -- they have a lot of carrier discussions there. :)

Good luck!

--janak