View Full Version : Wireless Options... SD vs. CF

Nudicles
02-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey guys

n00b to the wireless scene, I'm looking to setup my Audiovox Maestro with a wireless connection to our network, using 802.11b. So far I've been looking at a few different options..

My first choice would be the Sandisk SD WiFi card, since I use my CF slot mostly for extra storage. First of all, is my Maestro SDIO compliant? I've heard that alot of toshiba's are not, and since the Maestro is based on the e570... The Audiovox website does say that it is SDIO compliant, although I don't trust them a whole lot... I believe my device is CF II compliant, although they don't specify that.. Who knows what they're leaving out. This would be the only obstacle, otherwise I would probably opt with the SD.

If I can't do that, then I've been lookin at a few CF options... Possibly the Sandisk 128mb Wifi (since I need that extra storage if I'm using the CF slot) or if not that, then a Netgear ma701. Any opinions on either of these?

Thanks,
Paul

arnage2
02-16-2004, 04:41 PM
i dont think its sdio compliant. You best bet (for the price) is to go with a sandisk card. (cf)

David Prahl
02-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I have a CF memory card and CF wireless card for my PPC. Switching them is annoying, but I don't use the wifi card that much (once a week, maybe).

I'd get the CF card.

Nudicles
02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
bah... found out that my Maestro is SDIO, just not the SDIO standard today (As with all toshiba's). Next thing you know, I'll find out my Maestro is no longer a pocket pc, it only met the "standard" for pocket pc when it was first made... what an excuse...

Ok, so it's down to CF. Can anyone reccomend a CF that maybe doesn't protrude depth-wise so much? The Maestro has a cover over the CF slot that is kind of annoying... And I use a hard metal case with it. So it would be very difficult to keep that cover open while I had a wifi card in there, unless it was thin enough (the cover only opens so much).

Palm Cow
02-16-2004, 09:34 PM
My Genio e550G has a similar CF card cover (that is like a flap, like Sony Clie's and their Memory Sticks, not like the newer Toshibas), and it just folds inside when you put in a CF card. I don't have a Wifi card yet either ... so this advice applies to me too. I'm going to buy a 256MB SD card (probably) today also, for a mere $50 at Staples :D.

David Prahl
02-16-2004, 10:25 PM
I think the Socket Low-Power CF card protrudes the least, but I'm not sure.

Nudicles
02-16-2004, 10:32 PM
at the moment, it appears the best choices for least protrusion to be:

Linksys WCF12 ($64 at Amazon)
Ambicom Wireless CF ($57 at Newegg)
Socket Low-Power CF (Thanks David)

Any opinions?

Nudicles
02-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Just to let you guys know, I opted wirt thevAmbicom, mostly because of the deal at CompUSA... Works great, using it to reply right now =p

stllhogan
07-13-2006, 04:32 AM
I picked up the sandisk wifi cf 128mb card on ebay for $40 and I love it. versatile, comes with the pcmcia adapter. I don't need wifi in my laptop but I've used it in others from time to time, just keep the drivers on the memory portion. the 128mb is nice for downloading files online, such as pdf's. the only thing i don't like is how it sticks depth wise a bit more then some others, limits my ability of sd slot. can use the slot but not for most sdio options such as gps. I might upgrade to one with a pigtail I think i remember seeing and get an sd gps. use the sandisk for a backup wifi for when i need it. I was using it just for memory for awhile then I got a 1gb transflash. overall i recomend it. and i don't really need sdio that much anyway.

stllhogan
07-13-2006, 05:23 AM
I also failed to mention that it's signal matches my wireless G internal card of my laptop and at times surpasses it, once or twice i get a weaker signal. the only thing, I might go G next time depending on if its the signal slow or just the processor can't keep up.