View Full Version : Worst ever computer movie

Anthony Caruana
02-15-2004, 02:45 PM
It's late Sunday night/early Monday morning here and I've just lost two hours of my life watching what might have been one of the worst computer movies of all time, Hackers.

Between the ridiculous plot, totally bizarre portayal of computer systems and the most stupid dialog ever committed to celluloid it ranks as one of the dumbest computer movies of all time.

I think the only one I can recall that was even worse was a little known Australian movie called Crosstalk where a home computer took over domestic applicances and used them to murder people.

So, what's the worst computer movie ever?

Jacob
02-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I think "Anti-Trust" was horrible.

A character essentially representing Bill Gates(poorly) and kids representing "open-source" software and all that's good in the world. Bad bad movie.

Jon Westfall
02-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Friend of mine over here votes for anti-trust. I vote for most every movie that has large error messages on the screen like "Access DENIED" in big black letters on a red background. Anyone ever really get that?

Steven Cedrone
02-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I think the only one I can recall that was even worse was a little known Australian movie called Crosstalk where a home computer took over domestic applicances and used them to murder people.

I've see that one! It was a pretty crappy movie! :roll:

I think "Anti-Trust" was horrible.

That was a horrible movie! I wound up turning it off before the end. :pukeface:

I'll have to think about it, I can't seem to recall any really horrible computer movies (except those two, now that they were mentioned here)

Steve

Kati Compton
02-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Friend of mine over here votes for anti-trust. I vote for most every movie that has large error messages on the screen like "Access DENIED" in big black letters on a red background. Anyone ever really get that?
I think that would include Weird Science, but even though that movie uses computers in an obviously unbelievable way, I wouldn't call it a "bad" computer movie. :)

When I read the title of the thread, before the first post, I immediately thought "Hackers". ;)

foldedspace
02-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Well, not strictly a 'computer' movie, but when Jeff Goldblum uploaded a Mac virus to an alien computer system in "ID4", I cringed....

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I love it when a movie comes out post 2000, and the computer/PDA props they use are from the 90's. Or even the 80's 8O Heck, I even just saw a Microsoft commercial that had one of those really old Mac-like lapops (it was about two inches thick and had a screen about five inches across). It is just soooo funny how sometimes they try to look computer-smart and they put a PC in there that is not up to date.

What is that OS they always put on the PC's (IN EVERY MOVIE)? Is it Linux? The top of the window is a bar with lines running through it, its silver, and the close/minimize buttons are little 3D boxes that are also silver. What OS is that? Maybe Mac OS? I only know Windows.

dean_shan
02-16-2004, 12:25 AM
When I read the title of the thread, before the first post, I immediately thought "Hackers". ;)

Yeah same here. That wasn't a very good movie.

DrtyBlvd
02-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Good movies? Maybe not; bit subjective - I actually enjoyed all the ones mentioned above - although I did cringe a bit at the ID Virus too.

Other candidates?

Wargames
Electric Dreams (:rotfl: @ the soundtrack)

Steven Cedrone
02-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Hah!

Speak of the devil, guess what's on: Wargames!

8" floppies, acoustic couplers, mopeds, arcades...

Ah, the memories! :wink:

Steve

DimensionZero
02-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Best computer movie.... Matrix!! :D

dmacburry2003
02-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Best computer movie.... Matrix!! :D

:lol: Yep. That's true.

Unfortunately they had to screw it up and come out with sequels :evil:

Kati Compton
02-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I disagree. I say Tron. Then 2010 and Wargames. And then Weird Science. ;)

Jacob
02-16-2004, 10:17 PM
One movie that I just remembered that is worse than hackers, worse than Anti-trust.. HORRIBLE movie:

Virtuosity - with the tagline: "Justice needs a new program" :roll:

buckyg
02-16-2004, 11:22 PM
I can't remember the name: What's the movie w/ Sandra Bullock where her identity is stolen, she's framed, on the run and then fixes everything at the last by sending an email to the FBI?

foldedspace
02-16-2004, 11:27 PM
The Net?

buckyg
02-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I think that's it, the Net. Haven't had a chance to go out and check. Thanks.

dean_shan
02-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I think that's it, the Net. Haven't had a chance to go out and check. Thanks.

Noo don't do it. It is trash.

buckyg
02-17-2004, 01:58 AM
I meant check to find the name of the movie. I saw it a long time ago. Like most computer movies, it had a very high "Yeah, right" factor.

Anthony Caruana
02-17-2004, 05:09 AM
I remember watching The NEt and came to the conclusion that someone had the idea for a very thin identity theft action movie and diluted it further by trying to "techify" it.

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Weird Science....not sure I'd call it a computer movie, a movie with computers in it......but it's definitely one of my fave 80s movies! Real Genius is up there too, that's more of a computer movie.

I saw Tron for the first time last weekend. I dunno, without the nostalgia factor, I don't think it's as great as my friends who watched it as kids think it is. But it did have Alan Rickman in it, and he rocks.

Oh and yeah Mac pays lots of money for product placement in movies. Office Space comes to mind most readily. Puh-LEESE, NO ONE uses Macs in big corporate offices!

GoldKey
02-17-2004, 07:07 PM
What about Sneakers? Gotta love that braille display. But the idea of a piece of hardware that could almost instantly break any encryption, come on.

Kati Compton
02-17-2004, 07:13 PM
I saw Tron for the first time last weekend. I dunno, without the nostalgia factor, I don't think it's as great as my friends who watched it as kids think it is. But it did have Alan Rickman in it, and he rocks.
That's not Alan Rickman. That's David Warner (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001831/), who was in many Star Trek things, and is also the voice of the bad guy in Baldur's Gate II. ;)

foldedspace
02-17-2004, 07:21 PM
David Warner also played two different characters in Quest of the Delta Knights....not a good, or computer movie...

Kati Compton
02-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Well, he played *3* characters in Tron... :)

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 07:38 PM
That's bizarre. It looks JUST like him! The voice too. Ok, cool points removed from Tron :)

Kati Compton
02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
That's bizarre. It looks JUST like him! The voice too. Ok, cool points removed from Tron :)
Hey - David Warner is awesome too!

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Well, he gets points for playing a Cardassian, but sorry he's nowhere near as cool as Rickman.

"Because it's DULL, you twit, it'll hurt more!"

possmann
02-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Anti-Trust :pukeface2:

Kati Compton
02-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Well, he gets points for playing a Cardassian, but sorry he's nowhere near as cool as Rickman.

"Because it's DULL, you twit, it'll hurt more!"
That was the best line of that movie. By far.

Steven Cedrone
02-17-2004, 08:03 PM
What about Sneakers? Gotta love that braille display. But the idea of a piece of hardware that could almost instantly break any encryption, come on.

Sneakers was bad, but it was entertaining... :wink:

Steve

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Hope you're not dissin on Robin Hood, that movie rocked! Yeah it was a little campy, but it's ROBIN HOOD, not Shakespeare :) Good acting, good story, and a lot of heart....who cares about the accent?

Kati Compton
02-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Hope you're not dissin on Robin Hood, that movie rocked! Yeah it was a little campy, but it's ROBIN HOOD, not Shakespeare :) Good acting, good story, and a lot of heart....who cares about the accent?
How about we just agree that Alan Rickman was good in it? ;)

Jacob
02-18-2004, 04:31 AM
His accent certainly wasn't as out of place as Sean Connery in The Search for Red October.. a Russian sub captain with a Scottish accent :roll:

At least it was a better movie than Robin Hood ;)

Kati Compton
02-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Well, you know us Americans. We can't tell those foreign accents apart. ;)

Falstaff
03-28-2004, 07:16 AM
I thought I'd revive this thread, I just saw "The first $20 Million is Always Hardest" yesterday. Four guys make a computer with a holographic display and lasers to determine hand location so you can move icons, and it costs $99. That was so bad, although it had one saving feature. Two guys are arguing and one says to the other: "Your mom uses a Mac, system 7!" They almost start fighting because of that. It was made in 2003, they use a lot of computer lingo at times, it seemed pretty accurate, but the technology, not at all.