View Full Version : confused about development options

Kowalski
02-15-2004, 12:53 PM
right now i am developing ppc applications by visual c++ 3.0. but i couldnt find a way to use the emulator, so every time i write an application i transfer it to my device and make blackbox testing :|
is there something that i'm missing configure the emulator? some tools or images needed to be downloaded?

another question: is there a way to compile applications using evc++ 4.0 for ppc 2002?

BartF
02-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Hi,
first of all you can debug on your PPC device when you chose to build debug version ( anyway on RS232 it works very slow)
but you can configure Windows to use Emulator

-first install Microsoft Loopback adapter as a new device ( it will fake network card in your computer )
-add to components for connection bound with this card
TCP/IP and Virtual PC Emulated Ethernet Switch
-after this set up your platform manager in VC as follows:
in transport chose: TCP/IP Transport for Windows CE
in startup server: Emulator Startup server
( of course you need to have SDK and emulator images installed first)
In VC 4.0 you can't write application for Pocket PC 2002 as the VC 4.0 have compiler based on Windows CE 4.x and Pocket PC 2002 is Windows CE 3.0
Regards
Bart Filipski

My Pocket PC development web page (http://pocketpcdev.webhop.info)

Kowalski
02-16-2004, 10:33 AM
yes i figured out now:
EVC++ 3.0 --> pocketpc 2002
EVC++ 4.0 --> pocketpc 2003
visual studio .NET --> managed c++
and finally visual studio 6.0 --> windows development.

man this is insane! 4 development tools! i'm not againist microsoft but those guys should make our life a little bit more easier

BartF
02-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi,
in fact I do remeber now that I could manage to compile apllication on eVC 4.0 and I could run it on windows CE 3.0 after long "fight" with libraries.
visual studio .Net also allows you to write in .Net Compact Framework e.g. C# ( not only managed C++) but only 2003 edition :-)
In fact you don't need to have them all. For Pocket PC 2002 embedded Visual Tools 3.0 are enough and can you believe they are for free :-)
(as eVC++ 4.0)
Since Palm OS is far away in handheld devices , Microsoft is trying to take over the market and is doing well.Look at Windows Phone Edition - quite good software.

Regards
Bart Filipski
BTW: Are you polish ? Your nick " Kowalski" sounds very familiary to me

Visit My Pocket PC development (http://pocketpcdev.webhop.info)

Kowalski
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
i love visual studio environment. this tool is very handy and everthing is well thouhght. it took me sometime to get used to .NET environment but i am still using visual c++ 6.0 for desktop development.
i hate the idea of interprated language but probably in the future microsoft wont leave us a choice :|

BTW no i am turk not polish