View Full Version : 4350 / 4355 - Collect email automatically when turned off?

stevenf
02-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I'm experimenting with an HP 4350 (Windows Mobile 2003) that is set up to get online via bluetooth with a cell phone.

If I tell Inbox to get mail automatically every 5 minutes, it works, as long as the Ipaq is turned on.

Is there any way I can leave the PDA turned off, and still have it check mail periodically? (Can it turn itself on automatically to do this, like my Palm does?)

stevenf
02-15-2004, 08:41 PM
More notes:

I have noticed that the Ipaq's bluetooth LED flashes a couple times even when the Ipaq is turned off, at about the time the email check should occur. It appears to be pairing with the phone, as the phone indicates a bluetooth pairing shortly after.

But a few seconds later, the bluetooth LED on the Ipaq stops flashing and the phone says "Bluetooth connection lost". The screen on the Ipaq never turns itself on (not sure if it's supposed to).

If I leave the Ipaq turned on, it does successfully log in and check mail, but I can't leave it turned on all day!

Am I doing something wrong?

pdaided
02-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I have not tried this but I too want to know if this will work. Don't you just love this PDA.
I typed this in just a minute while sitting in Barnes and Noble's parking lot. I can tell already that this screen will hold up much longer with the onboard keyboard. I hate screen protectors and now I've stopped worrying about it.

pdaided
3635,3835,568,3950,2215,4335 w/T616

stevenf
02-16-2004, 12:10 AM
I want to love it... but this is a deal-breaker for me. I need a PDA that checks my email periodically without me telling it to, and without being left turned on all the time. It'll probably be going back to the store in a day or two unless there's a breakthrough...

Don Tolson
02-16-2004, 08:03 PM
I'm not aware of any PDA that can check and download email while it's turned off.

Maybe an option would be to leave the unit turned on, but just turn off the screen? (I seem to remember you could do this via holding the power button for a couple of seconds). Given that the battery in the 4350 is pretty phenomenal, that should give you pretty good 'standby' service, without having the screen glare all the time.

stevenf
02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
VersaMail on the Tungsten T3 can be set to auto-check mail, and if the PDA is off when the time comes, it "wakes up", then checks the mail. It works the same way that it would wake up if a calendar alarm went off. Heck, even my old Newton could do it. I'm kind of blown away that the PocketPC doesn't support it. It seems so completely obvious, especially with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built-in!

Leaving the PDA on is not a viable solution, for me anyway. Oh well. I tried.

Ethereal
02-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I have noticed that the Ipaq's bluetooth LED flashes a couple times even when the Ipaq is turned off, at about the time the email check should occur. It appears to be pairing with the phone, as the phone indicates a bluetooth pairing shortly after.

But a few seconds later, the bluetooth LED on the Ipaq stops flashing and the phone says "Bluetooth connection lost". The screen on the Ipaq never turns itself on (not sure if it's supposed to).

One thought: Under Connections > Settings > Manage existing connections (on the Tasks tab), edit your BT "dialup" connection. On the third config screen, under "Advanced" > (General tab) there's a check box for "Cancel if not connected in ____ seconds." Increasing that value or clearing the checkbox altogether may help, since it sounds as though the iPaq is at least attempting to establish a connection.

that_kid
02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm not aware of any PDA that can check and download email while it's turned off.

Maybe an option would be to leave the unit turned on, but just turn off the screen? (I seem to remember you could do this via holding the power button for a couple of seconds). Given that the battery in the 4350 is pretty phenomenal, that should give you pretty good 'standby' service, without having the screen glare all the time.

This feature has been included in windows mobile 2003. I would first try to increase the timeout setting and see if that makes a difference. I have mty 5555 and 4350 set to automatically sync with my exchange server ever 30 minutes. Before that i used to have my imap connection check my mail every 30 minutes. It works quite well, you won't see the screen turn on but it will be doing it's thing in the background. I would also make sure the ipaq can access the phone normally. There has to be a setting or something that's causing your ipaq to drop the bluetooth connection. Don't give up cause it can be done and it is a eat thing.