View Full Version : Memory Errors

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 03:07 AM
Say I haven't done a "hard reset" on my Pocket PC for a few months now. Is it likely that I will have errors in the memory structure, like fragmentation of a hard drive? If I do a backup and then a hard reset, will I free up significant storage memory? Is it possible to do a hard reset without having to directly re-install everything? (I have lots of logs and data files in various folders, not just My Documents, so re-installing my apps wouldn't really help)

If anyone knows about this, please help. Thanks.

Dave Potter
02-15-2004, 03:26 AM
Performing a hard reset and then restoring the data/apps will not help you. You will wind up with the exact same thing (assuming you use Sprite's Pocket Backup).

My guess is that you would free up memory and have things run more smoothly by hard resetting. With my 1935, I did a hard reset after 3 months of use and then reinstalled everything (manually). In the end I freed up almost 5MB of memory!

As far as your logs and data files go - temporarily copy them over to you PC before doing the hard reset. Then once everything is reinstalled, move them back.

It's a bit of a pain (manual process) but if your running low on memory, it's worth it.

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm not running that low on memory. I just wanted to know if a hard reset does clear things up. I will probably end up doing one anyway, just to get my registry cleaned out and free up a few KB.

Thanks!

Edit: Another problem I have is that I'm at about... the fifth re-format since my last HR. So, I don't have the programs that I installed in the first place. That means I'll be searching and searching for those files... Plus I don't really have a means of surely backing up my PIM databases. Well, there is Outlook, but that's always crashing.

dmacburry2003
02-15-2004, 04:32 AM
I just did a check on my memory with Resco File Explorer. Apparently, I have about 38 MB of total storage memory. In System Info, it says that about 30 MB of that is used. So, I went back to Resco and totaled the amount of space my files are using. It was approximately 29 MB (non-ROM). So, I'm guessing I have about 900KB of lost space. Ahh, I can live with that :D Plus a soft reset would give me a bit more space.