View Full Version : Setting up a wireless network

Ecks
02-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Hello all. I need some advice please. I am currently in the process of setting up my first wireless network. I am very excited about this as i have been wanting to do so for a long time and i now have the resources. I can't wait to get started!!! I wanted some opinions and some advice before i start. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Here is what i have to ask:
-I am thinking about getting the d-link 614 wireless router (the one with one antennae) as i will be getting it at a good price. I have read reviews online and they are all positive, does anyone here have any experience with the this particular wireless router or any other d-link devices. What are your overall opinions if any please?
-I also need to acquire a wireles card. I am currently using the jornada 568 with pocket pc 2002, what wireless card would be best and compatible with my unit.
-also, will the configuration work with bell sympatico basic dsl. (the usb modem that looks like a clam)? I have heard that there are some issues with connecting a wireless router, the specific model i listed above to a usb modem. It does not have an ethernet connection. Will this be a problem? Will i need some sort of an adapter to connect the usb modem to the wireless router?
Please feel free to add your inputs on this as any suggestions and help will be put to use as this is my first time. Thank you all for your time.
Kevin

Ecks

bdeli
02-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Ecks,

I am not sure abput the Jornada if it will take CF Type I or II cards so make sure it supports either one before you purchase the CF card. I cannot give you any opinions over d-link 802.xx hardware since i mainly use Linksys producsts.

As for your BELL modem - check here before you do any purchases - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympat

Ecks
02-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks brian. I figured out what i need to do. I actually do need a ehternet modem to start my wireless. I will be gettign the modem soon. So all good. Thanks for your input.
Kevin

bdeli
02-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Why do you need the modem? Is it not wireless you want to use?!

Another option you might want to consider is to get a USB/PCI 802.xx adapter for your computer and use that for internet sharing. Than all you need to do is to create an Ad-Hoc connection between your pc and jornada.

Ripper014
02-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Question... how are you connecting to your desktop computer from the modem without an ethernet connection...?

I am using the D-Link 614+ without any issues now since Christmas... I have it working with a D-Link 660w CF Wifi Card in my Hp2210... it works great I can not complain... set-up took about 15 minutes... and I was surfing... and syncing wirelessly... streaming TV and Music as well...

Janak Parekh
02-15-2004, 01:18 AM
I am not sure abput the Jornada if it will take CF Type I or II cards so make sure it supports either one before you purchase the CF card.
The J568 has only a CF type I slot, so Ecks, make sure you get a type I card. The best on the market is probably the Socket card, although it's supposed to be a bit more expensive.

Why do you need the modem? Is it not wireless you want to use?!
Ecks's point is that his DSL modem currently only has a USB port, so you're not going to be able to attach it to a wireless router. I don't know of any wireless router that supports USB, so he has to switch units. Ripper014: as I imply, he's using USB direct to the DSL modem. ;)

Although... Ecks, there is one alternative: you may be able to use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop and create what's called an "ad-hoc" connection to the Pocket PC. This mechanism is not nearly as convenient as getting a wireless router and using a Ethernet-capable modem, though, so if that cost is not expensive I'd suggest the latter route.

--janak

Ecks
02-17-2004, 06:14 AM
Thank you all for your input. I recently called bell and they will be sending me an ethernet modem within a week. Thanks Janak for the reminder on what type of cf to get..i always seem to forget that. Thank you all again. Your input has been greatly appreciated.
Kevin

Ripper014
02-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Oh ok... I missed that... I have never seen a modem that connected via USB...

I would have gone the route that he has choosen to take... I would not want to use a ad-hoc connection why have the desktop on when you don't need it.. I like the thought of being able to access my internet anytime I want at the click of a button... I would rather not have my computer on 24/7...

bdeli
02-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Oh ok... I missed that... I have never seen a modem that connected via USB...

I have an RCA modem on my desk which can take both USB and ethernet - thinking about it I should try to plug in both usb and ehternet and see what happens!

Janak Parekh
02-17-2004, 07:17 AM
I have an RCA modem on my desk which can take both USB and ethernet - thinking about it I should try to plug in both usb and ehternet and see what happens!
I wouldn't do that. The cable/DSL modems are designed to be connected via only one interface, on one computer at a time. The USB isn't interesting, per se -- it just emulates Ethernet over the USB connection.

--janak

bdeli
02-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't do that. The cable/DSL modems are designed to be connected via only one interface, on one computer at a time. The USB isn't interesting, per se -- it just emulates Ethernet over the USB connection.

--janak

Will not do that....am in no mood of frying my modem this week though the cable company head offices are right behind my backyard! :lol:

pocketdoc
02-19-2004, 10:22 PM
If I may jump in and also ask for advice...

I have an HP 4155. My home network uses a cable modem with a wirless router. I have no problems surfing the web, but how do I sync wirelessly? I cannot figure this out!

Also, is there a way to look at files on my home network? How about transferring files?

Any advice would be great.

Palmguy
02-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Try setting the WINS with your desktop's IP address.

JonnoB
02-19-2004, 11:50 PM
I have a 568 (well, it is now passed down to my child) and I used it with a Socket/Symbol WiFi card just fine. You should consider getting a wired/wireless router to hang off your broadband modem.