View Full Version : IPAQ 4150/SE T616 on AT&T/Earthlink ISP via Bluetoooth

matt johnson
02-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Having a really difficult time getting a connection to my ISP via Bluetooth.

I have successfully paired the IPAQ with the T616 and can get the phone to dial the Earthlink ISP #. But, each time I receive a msg on the IPAQ stating that there is no modem at the connection (but by manually dialing the ISP # on the cell phone, however, I can get the modem tone).

After reading another msg on this board concerning having "data" capability through AT&T, I double checked and confirmed that the AT& T connection is enabled to provide data.

Have double checked user name, password, access # etc etc but to no avail. Really hoping someone has some suggestion as to what I'm doing wrong - thanks in advance, I'm dying to get this working!

jeasher
02-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Check out this website Matt:

http://us.t-mobile.mywds.com/

I know it's not ATT but maybe it can give you some ideas as to where you're going wrong. You should be on T-Mo anyway. :) Good luck.

BigDaddy
02-14-2004, 06:41 AM
This is basically what you need to do for now. On saturday call AT&T and have them add the unlimited GPRS plan which i think is on special for 29.99 for the first three mos (i hope and think that they will continue this pricing plan after the 3mo period). By tomorrow I will have posted the access ID and Password configuration for your IPAQ. Right now I am using my T616 on cingular and my T630 on tmobile for GPRS (always on) access on my H5555 and TC1100 tablet. One draw back I have heard about AT&T is it's connection speed which seems to be on the average of 19.2 (reminds me of my Aircard 300 back in 97'). This seems to be perfect for simple emails and some instant messaging. However, if you are a mobile junkie like me who has to have audi/video sreaming with video conferencing (Microsoft portrait and HP Mobile SD cam), you will need to see if you can switch providers and go tmobile.

Anyway, I will post those settings by tomorrow eveing.

~BD

BigDaddy
02-15-2004, 08:58 PM
DAMN AT&T!!! Looking for the settings, seems the site which had all the goodies has moved and the old settings I found seem to have been changed (I wonder if this is due to the possible take over from Cingular of AT&T Wireless). Check back this evening or tomorrow.

~BD

Janak Parekh
02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
After reading another msg on this board concerning having "data" capability through AT&T, I double checked and confirmed that the AT& T connection is enabled to provide data.
From what I've heard in every report, AT&T does not let you dial ISPs, i.e., use GSM data (unlike T-Mobile). They only support GPRS.

The positive aspect of this is that GSM data is horribly slow. I tried it once or twice with my old T-Mobile account and ditched it immediately. You're talking 9600bps max, compared to ~ 40k for GPRS.

--janak

senfeng
02-28-2004, 01:11 PM
By coicidence, I've got an iPaq 2215, a SE T616 phone with AT&T service, and an Earthlink account. :D I tried the same thing a few weeks ago. I couldn't get through using earthlink dial-up, so I went to the ATT site and found the instructions here:

http://support.attws.wdsglobal.com/configurator/gt.asp?_api=GetAllProducts&_xsl=Check

Just pick your devices and pick bluetooth on the next page. It'll show you how to connect to the AT&T Wireless GPRS service. Frustrating!!! The ATT site is not very navigatable and I don't know if this info is in the phone documentation because I never read those things :wink: However, the directions assume that the PDA and the phone are NOT paired, so it may be easier to unpair the devices before following the directions. Not neccessary, though.