View Full Version : More iPAQ 6000 Speculation and Analysis from Smartfone.net

Jason Dunn
02-13-2004, 06:09 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartfone.net/?m=show&id=262&page=1' target='_blank'>http://www.smartfone.net/?m=show&id=262&page=1</a><br /><br /></div>"With all the speculation of late, there's been a lot of talk with only so much substance. All this is now set to change : we have managed to obtain hard specifications on the hp iPAQ h6300 Pocket PC Phone, which is set to include GSM, GPRS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all in the one package - and better yet: we have the photo! <br /><br />We can confirm that it will utilise a Texas Instruments processor, which is great news for the Pocket PC Phone market (which has to date been primarily based on HTC hardware). It's a very exciting device, and will even include a RIM client for push email. Expected availability is from T-Mobile in June."

Paul
02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
hey didn't this picture popup on here a few weeks ago? So it is legit?

jimski
02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
"So without further ado, we present for the first time the confirmed specifications and photograph of the hp IPAQ h6300!

Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC Phone Edition
The screen is 3.5-inch color Transflective TFT
Multiple wireless options:

GSM network 850/900/1800/1900
GPRS
WiFi
Bluetooth® wireless technology
SDIO SD Slot
TI Omap processor
640x480 VGA Camera (Business Version comes without built-in digital camera)
Add-on thumb keyboard
64MB RAM /64MB ROM
1800 mAH battery (removable)
RIM Push Email Software
Available on T-mobile in June
Approximately $600 US

64MB of RAM. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING! All the software developers need to light a fire under HP and every other OEM. I have many programs on my 5450 and like them all. I can't buy/try any more, because "I have no more room". Storage cards were not made to run processor intensive programs. I need more RAM. Maybe I will just pre-order this baby and have it dropped shipped to PPC Techs. When they get around to figuring out how to boost the RAM I will finally have what I have been waiting (and waiting) for.

Gremmie
02-13-2004, 08:57 AM
64MB of RAM. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!

Well, I don't think I have to go through all the steps of all the limitations of increasing RAM in this device (price, size, etc.) Maybe what we are discovering is that there is a need to have custom PDA options. Just like when you buy your computer, it would be nice to choose whether or not you want to spend $150 more for 128MB of RAM and save some money by not getting bluetooth.

ricksfiona
02-13-2004, 09:00 AM
It needs 128MB of RAM.

ppcitalia
02-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Camera is NOT included for technical problem.

Bye

PocketPcItalia Team

kagayaki1
02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Wait, I don't quite understand the PPCItalia comment. Do you mean the camera has been scrapped completely due to a technical difficulty? How do you know? I don't think T-Mobile would seriously release a new PPCPE without it having a built-in camera - goes against their whole "get more" concept and trying to offer features that appeal to a younger crowd.

Fishie
02-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Omap 1510 processor.

Auch, this thing is gonna plod along at snails pace on heavy games and multimedia, forget VGA res as well with this processor, unless of course they want to make it even slower.

ppcitalia
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes.

The camera has been scrapped completely for technical problem.

Bye

arnage2
02-13-2004, 01:36 PM
too bad i cant have this one. (im stuck with nextel)

ultraman
02-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know when will it be ready to public?

griph
02-13-2004, 02:12 PM
"With all the speculation of late, there's been a lot of talk with only so much substance. All this is now set to change : we have managed to obtain hard specifications on the hp iPAQ h6300 Pocket PC Phone, which is set to include GSM, GPRS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all in the one package - and better yet: we have the photo!

Actual images available at:
http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/preview_hp_ipaq_6000.asp

aristoBrat
02-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Yes.

The camera has been scrapped completely for technical problem.

Bye
Our HP Senior Consultant said all along that there would be two versions of the 6300 -- one w/ a camera and one w/o.

Are you sure you're just not seeing specs for the "w/o" version?

possmann
02-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Do you know that if the USD600 price is real - it will be cheaper than the XDA II? WOW.

Birdman
02-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Once again, unlikely this will be available in Canada anytime soon. Let's hope there is an "unlocked" market as I will be all over this like a wet blanket. (Make mine the non-camera, keyboard attached "business" model pls!)

petvas
02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I have been using iPaqs since the H3600 series and I am certainly very happy to see a GSM enabled iPaq come into the the market. I do not know if I will buy it, I am using a Qtek smartphone and I will have to think about it a lot....

mace
02-13-2004, 05:46 PM

Is it me or does the device look HUGE in the woman's hand, yet very compact in the second picture?

aristoBrat
02-13-2004, 08:09 PM

Is it me or does the device look HUGE in the woman's hand, yet very compact in the second picture?
Pictures can stink for gauging sizes.

I remember, before the h2215 was released, many folk thought it was "huge" from the looks of its pictures. I think seeing it in the stores changed quite a few minds. :D

whydidnt
02-13-2004, 11:56 PM
This is interesting. I too wish it had 128 MB in RAM though. A couple of thoughts -

It has been rumored that this is based upon the TI Wanda reference design. If that is correct then that will explain the TI processor and only 64MB of RAM.

I agree the photo of the phone in the hand looks huge, but if it is the size of the 2215, then it is the smallest Phone Edition device available in the US to-date. I still prefer a smaller screen, and therefore smaller phone, but this is progress anyway.

I read some complaints about the TI Omap processor. Has anyone here used a PPC device with this processor? How do we know how it will compare to the XScale, which performs slower at same clock speed than the Samsung processor in the 1940 series?

If TMobile offers both the 6000 series and the XDA 2, I am going to have a tough choice to make. Of course I still drool over the size and looks of the P900. I just can't talk myself into the limited software available for this phone. I want a PPCPE that looks the P900.

whydidnt

rmasinag
02-14-2004, 01:47 AM
If this is going to be $600 hello tax return!! But I have to admit 64 mb is really sad for power users. What were they thinking, WANDA is pretty but I need a woman with a big butt; a 128 mb butt! :twisted:

alikian
02-14-2004, 04:58 AM
I have a quesion
Anybody knows this device will have expansion slot for Barcode scanner or PC Cards or CF Cards.

Thanks,
Ali Kianzadeh

hoxbox
02-14-2004, 05:27 AM
I am the one who took those pictures. That's my key board (Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro) in those pictures see:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/hoxbox/waa.JPG!!

Just kidding I just happen to have the same keyboard. Too bad I can't get one even if its available since I am forced to use Palm @ work (hello Treo 600)...