View Full Version : Outlook upgrade -> Need to reinstall ActiveSync?

lanwarrior
02-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi,

If I want to upgrade my Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003, do I have to UNINSTALL Activesync before upgrading it?

Also, does Outlook 2003 work with ActiveSync 3.7?

Thanks.

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi,

If I want to upgrade my Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003, do I have to UNINSTALL Activesync before upgrading it?

Also, does Outlook 2003 work with ActiveSync 3.7?

Thanks.

When I upgraded, I did not unistall/reinstall ActiveSync. I didn't have any problems once I was done.

Steve

lanwarrior
02-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Cool! Thanks!

jeremyweisser
02-12-2004, 07:41 PM
I did a complete format of my PC when I installed Office 2k3, just to avoid upgrade woes, but the again not everyone is as crazy as I am.

draiken
02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Some of us actually are.... :))

Kowalski
02-13-2004, 01:30 PM
you guys must have plenty of free time 8O

alderran
02-23-2004, 03:03 AM
I did a complete format of my PC when I installed Office 2k3, just to avoid upgrade woes, but the again not everyone is as crazy as I am.

Think about me I am a Access database developer and work for a University... they have all different versions floating around so I am running Access 97, 2000, XP, 2003 on my computer. Another guy in my office is actually still running Access 2.0 to support some old project

But I also had no problem switching versions of Outlook

lanwarrior
02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Shot, I found out something did not work as intended:

For some reason, I can no longer see what's under the "Mobile Device" folder. It's just blank, even though I can sync just fine.

I did a test on a new machine, fresh WinXP install, and teh same problem appear.

Note that this is an Office 2003 which was upgraded from Office 2002, which apparently break everything with ActiveSync.

Is this a common problem? MS website didn't say anything about this...

ironguy
02-25-2004, 05:34 PM
I upgraded to Office 2003 and did not have this issue. Everything went smoothly.

Chris Spera
02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
This is me being cautious; but yes, I would uninstall AS and then reinstall after installing ANY Office upgrade.

Office MUST be uninstalled before any upgraded version can be installed. That's just the way Office is. Office 2003 requires AS 3.7.1 (I think...), and as a precautionary move, I would pull out AS, yank Office, and then reinstall Office and then AS.

But that's just me... It may help minimize any problems you bump into...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

lanwarrior
02-25-2004, 11:12 PM
This is me being cautious; but yes, I would uninstall AS and then reinstall after installing ANY Office upgrade.

Office MUST be uninstalled before any upgraded version can be installed. That's just the way Office is. Office 2003 requires AS 3.7.1 (I think...), and as a precautionary move, I would pull out AS, yank Office, and then reinstall Office and then AS.

But that's just me... It may help minimize any problems you bump into...

Christopher Spera

Hi Chris,

That's what I usually do, but I have installed so many programs on the PocketPC that requires the program's desktop application/system files to be installed on the desktop that I was too lazy to do the reinstall.
i.e. Adobe Acrobat for PPC, since it needs to do the PDF file conversion-on-the-fly when one is put into the Mobile Device folder. If I don't do reinstall, it sometimes break the conversion. Also, programs like TextMaker requires the desktop system app. to be installed, otherwise uninstallation may not work (this is according to TextMaker people back then)

But I guess I'll have to do a fresh install on AS 3.7 and then reinstall the above apps. Oh joy...