View Full Version : Going to Amsterdam, Brussels

Jacob
02-12-2004, 06:08 AM
I am going to be going to Amsterdam at the end of February and I was wondering if anyone here knew of things that I just have to see.

I am also planning on going to Brussels, Belgium so any suggestions for things to do/see there would also be appreciated.

I know I want to see the Anne Frank house, but other than that I haven't done much research (yet) as to what's there. I know I'll have a good time nonetheless though.

Any ideas? :)

Fishie
02-12-2004, 08:26 AM
I live in Belgium and there are a few more peeps here, throw me an email at [email protected] and maybe we can meet up and I can show you around.

opus
02-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Official tourist site is here (http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/). You can click on the little globe at upper right for an interactive map. Maybe start off by clicking on cityguide/highlights. Lonely Planet (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/europe/amsterdam/amsterdam.htm) has a good site too.

How much time will you have there? Do you like museums? Shopping? The central part of Amsterdam is tiny and easily walkable -- along with Prague it's one of the few European cities to survive the 20th century with its medieval core intact.

Starting at Centraal Station, I like to walk south down the Damrak to Dam Sqaure (the maximum touristy section). Then south down the Kalverstraat to the Muntplein (with the cute little mint building). Turn right and walk along the flower market lining the canal to the Leidsestraat. Then turn left and walk down the Leidsestraat to the Leidseplein, crossing over the three main canals.

Lots of restaurants around the Leidseplein, and the historic American Hotel and the Boom Chicago comedy show. Then you can cross over the Singelkracht and turn left on the Stathouderskade. That will take you past the entrance to Vondelpark, Amsterdam's equivalent of Central Park, to the Rijksmuseum, the biggest art museum. Walk through the tunnel under the museum and you're on the Museumplein, where the Van Gogh and Stedelijk museums are. You're also near the Heineken Brewery, which offers entertaining tours.

That whole walk is only like 30-45 mins. Amsterdam is a great walking city.

Buy a guidebook and read up before you get there - it's worth it. You can also go shopping in the Jordaan, check out a concert at the Concertgebouw (acoustically one of the finest concert halls in the world). For dinner, try to find a good Rijstafel, the Indonesian buffet-at-your-table, and get some frites (french fries) to eat while you walk.

And I haven't even gotten to the sex and the drugs... Do check out the red-light district (just east of the Damrak) after dark...

-- opus, who lived in Holland for a number of years

Jacob
02-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, I guess I should give more details :)

My sister is now in Amsterdam studying and then we plan on meeting my mother, who is all over Europe now for vacation, in Brussels.

I know my Mom has a number of things she wants to do, art, theatre and all that in Brussels.

Thank you opus for your suggestions and the tourist site - it looks like that's where I'll start :) I have heard a lot about Amsterdam being a great city to be in.

Fishie, thanks for the offer, I'm not sure if I'll be able to take you up on it, but I'll email you.

JvanEkris
02-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Are you limited to Amsterdam, or do you want to see more of the Netherlands ? There is a whole country around it you know;).

What are your interests ?

Jaap

Jacob
02-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Heh.. I know there is more to the country than Amsterdam :)

I do admit that I'm pretty ignorant as to what is there in Holland in general. Well, other than what everyone knows: tulips, dykes, red light district... but I have heard from everyone who has been there that it's an all round great place.

I have no problem with exploring more of Holland. From looking through the lonely planet guide I wouldn't mind seeing the Kröller-Müller museum in Hoge Veluwe. Plus the national park there sounds beautiful.

I'm interested in seeing just about all I can see in the time - but I'll be likely going to Brussels around the third of March so I'll have about 3 days to spend in Holland. Maybe more after Brussels, but I likely won't have time to really get out to a lot of places I think.

I'm interested in museums, art, architecture. If there are specific restaurants that I would regret not having visited. I'm pretty open as to what to do.

JvanEkris
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
The centre of holland is very tightly build. By american standards, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, the Hague and utrecht would probably be one city, both in distance and population. Traveling from one point to another in this group of cities mostly takes you about one hour (be aware of traffic though: we have way too much cars for the roads in these cities). Kröller-Müller is a very nice museum and this museum is relitively close to Utrecht. I live approximatly 15 kilometers away from it. The Hoge Veluwe is very nice as well :). Very close by there is one of the nicest zoo's in the Netherlands as well. Burgers Dierenpark in Arnhem has build complete areas where animals can walk around free, and guests can walk around in their surroundings. If you like zoo's, perhaps a nice place to go to.

If you like architecture, perhaps one of the nice cities to see is Rotterdam. It not only houses one of the biggest harbours in the world, but it is the city with the most advanced architecture. The city was completely destroyed during the early days of the second world-war, and has been completely rebuild in several years. It has been influenced a great deal by Rem Koolhaas, a local architect that has gained world-fame. Especially around the centre of the city near the erasmus-bridge there are a lot of new buildings reflecting newer architecture. You can find more info on the city of Rotterdam website (http://www.rotterdam.nl/smartsite229.dws?MainMenu=268958&Menu=269013&goto=251514&style=2155). It also houses a lot of musea on modern art (Boijmans van Beuningen being the most famous).

If you like to see more of the dutch continuing fight against water (we have dikes, but also a lot more...), perhaps it is a good idea to see is de Maeslantkering, see the Maeslantkering touristic webiste (http://www.keringhuis.nl/engels/keringhuis/index.html). It is considered an engineering masterpiece.

I hope this helps. If you need more idea's, just give a signal

Jaap