View Full Version : Am I finished?

ombu
02-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Here's my case:

HP Jornada 568, works great and looks awful, the flip cover is gone, fake metal paint on both sides is gone too, just hate to look at the screen under the sun light although indoors I barely notice the damage. I use a wi-fi + 128 MB CF card from SanDisk and it goes as expected; when travelling to places without a hot-spot nearby I use a 56 KB CF modem to keep in touch with my inbox and browser, I own a HP CF cam too.

Yep, I know, I need a new PPC, but I'm not excited at all, just can't "bring back that loving feeling" I used to live with each time I've got a new gadget in the past, or when I went wireless and finally made everything work, AS included, or when I loved each Pocket Informant release not so long ago, and so on.

As I said, I need a new PPC but just because I can't show mine any more without feeling embarrassed.

Am I dying? Am I an old depressed guy? Is this PPC drug not enough for me any more? Maybe I'm blind and that's why I can't see a single thing WM2003 can do better than PPC2002. Am I the only one?

Money is not a problem, if I get cost concious I'll get a 2220 just to keep using my CF peripherals and if I get crazy I can buy the 5550 (not a Toshiba due to it's service rep), but I need that excitement I don't find any more, so, somebody there to awake me or to tell me I won't heal my soul ever?

:cry: HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhmorrison
02-12-2004, 09:42 AM
:cry: HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These symptoms are typical of Jornada 568 owners so you aren't alone. The cause of this condition is rooted in the fact that the majority of new PDA don't offer much more than we already have but are missing some things that we do.

Jornada 568 forever (well, at least until it dies)...

Stephen Beesley
02-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Am I dying? Am I an old depressed guy? Is this PPC drug not enough for me any more? Maybe I'm blind and that's why I can't see a single thing WM2003 can do better than PPC2002. Am I the only one?

I am another Jornada owner who, sofar, has not found a compelling enough reason to upgrade. My Jornada is starting to look a little frayed around the edges admittedly but...

Okay and yes I would love integrated wifi (rather than my CF wifi card) and an extra memory card slot, but...

Overall I just have not seen the benefits outweighing the cost of upgrading (that and the fact that I really do love the form factor of the Jornada).

That, however, is I think about to change. I am pretty excited by both the XDA II and the Toshiba e800s for different reasons. Now if MS does bring out an update with native landscape support then I think I can see a new PPC in my future!

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Up until the middle of last year, I was using my trusty 548. If it weren't for the fact that no one seemed to be releasing code for the SH3, I'd probably still be using it. I loved the weight, the metal case, the jog dial, and the cover! I would kill for a Pocket PC that looked/felt that great again!

My daughters are using it now, and I have to admit they are taking really great care of it! Makes a daddy proud! 8)

Steve

rhmorrison
02-12-2004, 02:22 PM
My daughters are using it now, and I have to admit they are taking really great care of it! Makes a daddy proud! 8)
You're LUCKY Steve, my sister bought an iPAQ 1940 in September last year and one of her daughters that was playing with it left in on the floor in the car and then stepped on it breaking the screen (even in the protective case)!

Stephen Beesley
02-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Up until the middle of last year, I was using my trusty 548. If it weren't for the fact that no one seemed to be releasing code for the SH3, I'd probably still be using it. I loved the weight, the metal case, the jog dial, and the cover! I would kill for a Pocket PC that looked/felt that great again!

Steve

My first PPC was a 545 and, like you, I loved the cool metal case (both the cool FEEL of the case and the cool black paint job) and the weight of it. As I have already said, I really love the specs of the XDA II and the e800, but both of them leave me a bit cold as far as looks go.

juni
02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Loved the 568, dustridden as it was. I think I'd still be using it if it wasn't for the dust issue.

But now I couldn't go back. I'm too used to bluetooth networking from the sofa, the speed of the HP2210, the sleek formfactor...

I even have a flip cover now that I got a vaja i-volution case. :)

http://www.vajacases.com/vaja/catalogo.nsf/htmlmedia/2630_comb/$file/cmoro_latte.jpg

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 02:47 PM
You're LUCKY Steve, my sister bought an iPAQ 1940 in September last year and one of her daughters that was playing with it left in on the floor in the car and then stepped on it breaking the screen (even in the protective case)!

When I first handed it over to them, I was afraid it would be broken in a week! I think they have daddy's genes when it comes to gadgets! They seem to take on a whole new personality when using it, they take turns and don't fight - it's a miracle actually! :lol:

Steve

ombu
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Hey, thanks everybody, at least I know now I'm not alone, maybe these days I'll clear my mind and buy something, no matter what I do the J568 will stay with me, after all nobody will buy it. :?

Regards.

SPONSOR: Bring Back The Jornada Group. :twisted:

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Loved the 568, dustridden as it was. I think I'd still be using it if it wasn't for the dust issue.

But now I couldn't go back. I'm too used to bluetooth networking from the sofa, the speed of the HP2210, the sleek formfactor...

I even have a flip cover now that I got a vaja i-volution case. :)

http://www.vajacases.com/vaja/catalogo.nsf/htmlmedia/2630_comb/$file/cmoro_latte.jpg

Well, my Jornada can still use the Socket Bluetooth card (I tested it after getting BT working on my desktop - it connected right away!) The first thing I bought for my 2215 was a Vaja (believe it or not, it sat in the box, unopened, until that case arrived - I never even charged it for the first time until it was delivered) Now that was restraint! :wink:

But I was tempted several times! 8O

Steve

ombu
02-14-2004, 01:43 AM
O.K., there are three office suply stores near home and my Visa is ready, Commander in Chief gave her authorization for this project, several targets are at sight but I've got a single silver bullet, so I'll wait half an hour or so here for some advice and after that a brand new iPaq will be caught at shelf, finalists are:

- 1940 ... form factor, display
- 2220 ... dual slot, performance
- 5550 ... 128 MB, integrated wi-fi

Which is the most exciting one?

Come on, tell me, I'll be back later and post from my new toy.

Regards.

ombu
02-17-2004, 05:55 AM
O.K., new toy, a 2210.

:bangin:

Come on, I'm a stupid and have to eat my own words. :pukeface:

Why did I wait so long? the 2210 is A GREAT DEVICE, just can't use my J568 any more.

Maybe I'm starting to live again, at least the early adopter :twisted: I used to be is back.

Sure WM lacks things almost every user is asking from a long time ago but it's MUCH BETTER THAN ppc2002.

Thanks for all that shelter, I'm healed now, promise not to keep the same PPC longer than a year. :mrgreen:

Regards.

Paul Martin
02-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Congrats on the new purchase! My J568 is still going strong, dust and all. I've thought about upgrading at some point, but Mr. Wallet says no. But, it's still fun to window shop. I had looked at the 2210 because it would allow me to use some of the CF accessories I've accumulated.