View Full Version : Help! My PocketPC Backup won't restore!

Vasant56
02-12-2004, 04:15 AM
I recently performed a hard reset on my device (PPC 2002), it got glitched up. Thankfully I had created a backup two days ago, so I decided to restore that. I put in my PocketPC, and when I attempted to back it up it said that it was created on a different device. I went to the help file for elaboration, and it said that I have different regional settings.

I really need to get my backup restored, but It won't work.

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Thanks

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Did you change yourself back to the correct time zone? Try to do that and attempt the restore.

Steve

Vasant56
02-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Yep, even the same date.

I have one of those setting backup things on my SD card, I will restore that and try it

Vasant56
02-12-2004, 04:24 AM
grrr, all the settings are normal and it still won't restore :(

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 04:41 AM
Hmmm. Try this: hard reset again, only change your time zone back to what it's supposed to be and try the restore again.

Steve

Stephen Beesley
02-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I have had the same problem when doing a hard reset and found that I had to make sure that not just the time zone was the same but had to go into regional settings and make sure it had the same region set as on the backup.

Vasant56
02-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I hard reset, and changed my time zone.. still not luck.

Is there any way to see what the exact settings were in my backup?

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I hard reset, and changed my time zone.. still not luck.

Is there any way to see what the exact settings were in my backup?

I hate to say it, but no there isn't. Playing with the Region/Time Zone setting is key to getting that restore to work. I know, it's frustrating! This is why most people bail on the ActiveSync backup and use Sprite backup instead. If you do get it restored, I would suggest you look into purchasing yourself a copy (that's why when most polls/threads ask about must have apps, it's usually right there at the top of the list)

Anyway, try to adjust this settings and see if you can get the restore to start.

Steve

tanalasta
02-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Have you changed any of the regional settings (under the settings tab)? E.g. I have mine set to English (Australia) which isn't the default. Basically these have to be the same as the backup version for you to restore your device.

You could also ensure that your owner name and device name is the same. My suggestion is:
1. copy all the files you want onto your desktop
2. hard reset
3. create a guest partnership
4. Ensure timezone and regional settings are what you remember your backup being
5. attempt to restore

Failing that, I also recommend you purchase Sprite's Backup program so next time you'll be better off :roll: But from the sound of things, you may be better off re-installing everything than spending hours playing with settings.

Vasant56
02-12-2004, 09:10 PM
oooh, I got it :D

My language setting was on American English instead of Canadian English :roll:

I must've been fooling around with the settings one day, and changed it to Canadian English.. it didn't really accomplish anything, but I guess it stuck..

Thanks for the help!

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Glad to hear it! Remember, Your time spent trying to get this restore done was easily worth the price of Sprite Backup! :wink:

Steve