View Full Version : Samsung i700 To Get WM2003 Upgrade

Janak Parekh
02-11-2004, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://developer.samsungwireless.com/product.aspx?id=SPH-i700' target='_blank'>http://developer.samsungwireless.co...spx?id=SPH-i700</a><br /><br /></div>Samsung has finally made it official on their developer webpage: "An update to Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003 will be available at Verizon Wireless retail store locations in early 2004."<br /><br />There's no details, and no more specific timeframe, but it's a positive sign. OK, guys, I'm waiting... ;)

Chris Spera
02-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Well AMEN! Its about time!

I've been on pdaphonehome.com a lot recently, and was gaining support for an open letter to Verizon regarding delivery of the upgrade.

Janak, is Phone Edition on a different life cycle than PPC OS? I thought both WM2003 and WM2003 PE were released at the same time? Is this true; or was WM2003 PE just released a few months ago?

I've heard some people say that PE was released AFTER WM2003, and I can SWEAR that I thought they were both released at the same time. Even if they weren't tho, I still think that the Phone Edition updates are slow in coming to market. Especially when the MDA2/XDA2/ iMate PPC PE has been available for quite some time...

The T-Mobile update is nowhere to be seen, and the AT&T update was just released. What's up with the slow updates? Can you give us any real insight into why this is taking so long?

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Jason Dunn
02-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Janak, is Phone Edition on a different life cycle than PPC OS? I thought both WM2003 and WM2003 PE were released at the same time? Is this true; or was WM2003 PE just released a few months ago?

The Phone Edition is always released later in the cycle because it has more bits and takes longer - I'm not sure what the exact delay factor is, but it's historically always been a few months at least.

Pat Logsdon
02-12-2004, 01:22 AM
it has more bits
:worried: That sounds like a dangerously technical term...

:mrgreen:

Paragon
02-12-2004, 01:49 AM

The Phone Edition is always released later in the cycle because it has more bits and takes longer - I'm not sure what the exact delay factor is, but it's historically always been a few months at least.

Plus, as you know, like its big brother, the standard Pocket PC version the update comes from the OEM, and it seems that the carriers and phone manufactures don't give Pocket PC Phone Edition devices the same priority as say the latest phone seen on American Idol. :)

Any bets as to when Telus will have it? I seem to remember hearing something like March but I could be wrong. That sounds far to quick. ;)

Dave

PPCMD
02-12-2004, 04:42 AM
Chris,

This will be for all the nay sayers who said it wouldn't happen. At least they admit it now.

Horus
02-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Sometimes there might be a few days variance, but nothing significant.
Keep in mind that marrying anything with a GSM or CDMA radio module is a significant amount of work for the OEM.
Plus, carriers do a lot of additional testing once they get devices from the OEM.

Charles Pickrell
02-12-2004, 06:29 AM
it has more bits
:worried: That sounds like a dangerously technical term...

:mrgreen:

Microsoft uses it internally to represent the software code inside a device. For example: "Do you have the 3.0 bits in your Smartphone yet?"

jimski
02-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Ah, another reason for the two device platform :mrgreen: Dumb phone and smart PPC (both with Bluetooth of course) = No long wait for Mr. Programmer Dude to check all those bits.

Paragon
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
This is a bit much. :) Sorry, there I go again, off topic.

Dave

dangerwit
02-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but we've been over stuff like this before on pdaphonehome, right? I mean, how about that ad that showed a split view of the Inbox?

Does that new information on the developer site really mean anything? I mean, it seems like a positive thing to be sure, but maybe they made a change to the page a long time ago and never uploaded it until recently. :)

I'm all for the upgrade, but I'm not getting my hopes up until it's more official than a byline on a developer's page.

*Phil

microchasm
06-16-2004, 10:46 PM
I still don't see an update available. When is this supposed to happen?

Janak Parekh
06-20-2004, 04:54 AM
I still don't see an update available. When is this supposed to happen?
No one knows anymore. I hear rumors it's in testing and likely to be released "any time now". Sigh. :|

--janak