View Full Version : Two MS Reader shortcuts

ChristopherTD
02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
I have been using MS Reader almost every day for the last year and I only just discovered these two shortcuts.

When the Library is displayed, tap and hold on a book title to reveal a small menu, the second item on it is "Most Recent Page". Selecting this takes you to where you left off.

Alternatively, if you have tapped on a book to open it it will display the book title and author on a sort of front page. Tapping on the title will take you to the most recent page you read in the book.

Both of these may be obvious to PPC veterans, but I only discovered them by accident and so report them here in case anyone else hasn't yet found them out!

Jorgen
02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Great! Both were new to me, too. Though I have deleted many files from the library menu, I never noticed the most-recent-page menu item.

Jorgen

xendula
02-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Alternatively, if you have tapped on a book to open it it will display the book title and author on a sort of front page. Tapping on the title will take you to the most recent page you read in the book.
Great, I had no idea but have been using this shortcut ever since you posted about it!! Thanks.

SteveHoward999
06-06-2004, 08:37 PM
If you like that, you should love this ...

press and hold the page number at the bottom of the page when viewing your book ...

release after 3 or 4 seconds and a new nevigaor should appear. Mostly I find it is most useful for seeing how much of the book is left to read ... ever wondered how many pages the current book has? The navigator tells you. You can also use it to skip forward or backward through chapters.

Steve

ChristopherTD
06-07-2004, 07:44 AM
press and hold the page number at the bottom of the page when viewing your book ...

Strangely I knew about that one. On opening a new book I always display the riffle-grid (or whatever it is called) and let Reader paginate to the end of the book so that has all its internal workings organised and saved.

Mostly though I turn it off because (to me) it is disproportionately large and distracting. It is useful to pop it up every now and then to get an idea of how far through the book you are though.

socrates63
06-10-2004, 10:57 PM
press and hold the page number at the bottom of the page when viewing your book ...release after 3 or 4 seconds and a new nevigaor should appear.
Cool. Didn't know about this one. Palm Reader displays this information as default, and I always wished MS Reader had it as well. Thanks!

wing
06-21-2004, 12:11 AM

release after 3 or 4 seconds and a new nevigaor should appear. Mostly I find it is most useful for seeing how much of the book is left to read ... ever wondered how many pages the current book has? The navigator tells you. You can also use it to skip forward or backward through chapters.

Steve

*brainGASM*
This makes digital books much more user friendly and paper-like.
*cheers*

By the way, how did you find out about this? Or should I actually START reading the manuals for my hardware and software?
:)

SteveHoward999
06-21-2004, 12:30 AM
By the way, how did you find out about this? Or should I actually START reading the manuals for my hardware and software?

I first found Reader on my Laptop, and it has a more advanced version of that toolbar by default. So I went looking for the same on the PDA. It was more accident than anything that I hit on that shortcut.

By the way I HATE reading books using reader on my laptop - I always want two pages across my screen, but more annoyingly the laptop is just not comfortable to read from - too big and clumsy. I LOVE using reader on the PDA though. I think I have read about 80 - 100 books in the last 18 months that way. 8O

Steve

wing
06-21-2004, 03:05 PM
it still feels or looks wonky reading in bed, i think.

somehow it is too heavy or bright or ... i dunno...

and my hand cramps up holding it up while i am in bed.

*sigh*

it just seems different from paper books.

i DO like telling people that i have a small library of books with me, everywhere i go, in addition to a music library, two videos, and my organizer.

*cheer*

SteveHoward999
06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
[quote="wing"]it still feels or looks wonky reading in bed, i think.

somehow it is too heavy or bright or ... i dunno...

and my hand cramps up holding it up while i am in bed.

*sigh*

it just seems different from paper books.
quote]

It took me a little while to get used to it. I have the text as small as it will go. I turn the backlight down as dim as it will go. In bed I have found a couple of comfortable ways to prop myself, but it took a little while. Still - turning pages is way easier - I no longer need two hands ... and when I doze off I don't hit myself in the face with the book any more :lol:

Janak Parekh
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
It took me a little while to get used to it. I have the text as small as it will go. I turn the backlight down as dim as it will go. In bed I have found a couple of comfortable ways to prop myself, but it took a little while. Still - turning pages is way easier - I no longer need two hands ... and when I doze off I don't hit myself in the face with the book any more :lol:
Well-put. Plus, you don't need a light on, and you don't need to aim the ebook into the light so it's visible. :D

--janak

mush
06-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I've been using this app for ever and I never knew about any of the shortcuts either! Why ain't it in Help!

Hehe.

Kumori
06-25-2004, 10:05 PM

Oh man! I wish I knew this when I was reading "Murder on the Orient Express" the other night. I put the book down, then picked it up the following night and read two pages and was done! I had no idea I was so close to the end. I guess I must have been 1/2 a normal paper page from the end. :)

Barron