View Full Version : I got my Tablet PC for under a $1K US!

sullivanpt
02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
I suspect many others in Pocket PC world have shared my Tablet PC envy. We all have reasons. For me, I just wanted to play with a new toy!

I'm happy to say my wish came true thanks to http://www.laptopsinc.com refurbished item clearance sale. Finally a Tablet cheap enough that I can afford to buy it just because I wanted to.

Oh it's a happy winter day indeed! :mrgreen:

Jason Dunn
02-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Cool! Which one did you get?

Jimmy Dodd
02-10-2004, 11:09 PM
For anyone looking for a Tablet PC cheap be sure to check your local CompUSA. They seem to be dumping their stock. I saw a Viewsonic for less than $1k locally. It was labeled as a "Manager's Special."

sullivanpt
02-10-2004, 11:34 PM
I hadn't heard about the Viewsonic deal. Cool!

I have myself a brand spanking refurbished ST4110 with integrated Wi-Fi. It's so groovy!! Surfing the Internet and reading PDF eBooks is fabulous with the pen -- I find MS Reader on the Pocket PC to be the only usable format for the small screen; now I can actually read books that aren't in MS Reader comfortably.

The pen input is fun to play with. Very intuitive to pick up and use; althoug I've encountered obvious problems trying to get passwords entered accurately. Interestingly, even the onscreen keyboard wasn't enough to log me on to PPCThoughts, I had to resort to a "real" keyboard. suspect the Inker may be inserting spaces where it shouldn't. I'll have to investigate that further... I.

The device is decently light and small. My usual notebook is a miniscule Sony N505VE, and this is about the same in two dimensions and an 1" longer in the other. My Sony has a keyboard stuffed into it's tiny body, the ST4110 keyboard is a whole separate box using wireless IR. Obviously the design is geared toward people who don't need a keyboard while they're on the go.

Last night was all about initial look and feel, patches, and installing software. Tonight (sadly) is all about wedding anniversarys (heh, okay you KNOW my wife doesn't read these forums :lol: ). But tomorrow I intend to really take it through it's paces!

arnage2
02-10-2004, 11:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If i knew that 1 week ago, i would have purchased a tablet for $800 instead of my ipaq.