View Full Version : Spike Lee's MSN Direct Movie, Featuring Fossil's Dick Tracy SPOT Watch and Music by NAS

Jason Dunn
02-10-2004, 08:50 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.spotstop.com/default.asp?newsID=32' target='_blank'>http://www.spotstop.com/default.asp?newsID=32</a><br /><br /></div>"Today Microsoft will release "Secret Agent Man," a movie to promote MSN Direct, starring and directed by Spike Lee. The screening is invite only, with just a handful of people on the guest list. But why sit there wishing you could be there? SPOTstop.com has it for you now…enjoy! I’ll not ruin the story for you here, watch, enjoy and hit the forums to discuss. The film does require Windows Media Player..."<br /><br />This movie is pretty cool, although none of that stuff happened to me when I put on my SPOT watch. :lol: Yes, I'll have a review of the SPOT watch coming up very soon...

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
This movie is pretty cool, although none of that stuff happened to me when I put on my SPOT watch. :lol:
I'm sure your wife is not upset at that fact. :razzing:

--janak

brianchris
02-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I would probably buy one of these watches, but there's a BIG problem: no coverage in my town (Medford, OR). Oh well, I guess its a product for just you big city folks. Jason, is Canada covered?

Also, another question I haven't been able to answer, but are any SPOT watches waterproof at all? I know, I know, foolish to even ask, but I thought there's a chance.

-Brian

Jason Lee
02-10-2004, 10:06 PM
I know they are cool gadets but I really fail to see the point...
I can do everything the spot watch can do with my mobile phone plus more. There isn't much for input on a spot watch.
Why would I want to pay another monthly fee to only duplicate services?

I would rather have one of those palm watch things.. or better yet one of those usb flash drive watches. They are not any bigger than a normal watch.

At least if i get one of those notifications on my mobile phone I can respond or investigate further.

now give me a phone watch with bluetooth for the head-set and connectivity for my PPC then we'll talk.

element
02-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Feh!

Jimmy Dodd
02-10-2004, 10:45 PM
My goodness, but that was a dumb film. :roll:

possmann
02-10-2004, 10:58 PM
not the best of films - that's for sure...too long to make their point

I hope that MS opens things up a bit to allow more email to the watches and increase the business usage/factor of the watches - like I said many times before (in other posts) selling this strictly to commerical (non-business use) will kill this over the long haul. :frusty:

This has every potential to be a killer app - ditch the pager and let your watch receive the pages - increase the memory capabilty and add a USB dongle (kind like the BMW USB watch - very cool) and there you are:

a watch that can get pages, messages from anywhere (not just MSN Messenger) and can store/transfer files - WAAAY COOOl :drool:

I can see real use for something like that - but outside of the cool factor, this just isn't doing it for me yet. I'll wait for SPOT 2.0

David Prahl
02-10-2004, 11:10 PM
A summary, for those of you who didn't waste your time watching the ad...

Number of women shown: 34

Shots of SPOT watch: 2

I can't believe that MSN would sink so low.

Jimmy Dodd
02-10-2004, 11:11 PM
A summary, for those of you who didn't waste your time watching the ad...

Number of women shown: 34

Shots of SPOT watch: 2

I can't believe that MSN would sink so low.

There were shots of the Spot Watch??? :wink:

T-Will
02-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Hmm...actually it is sad that MSN would have a commercial like that...but remember it is a Spike Lee film... :roll:

I'm wondering when it'll get into the cool secret agent stuff... :D

spg
02-11-2004, 02:36 AM
I would probably buy one of these watches, but there's a BIG problem: no coverage in my town (Medford, OR). Oh well, I guess its a product for just you big city folks. Jason, is Canada covered?

Also, another question I haven't been able to answer, but are any SPOT watches waterproof at all? I know, I know, foolish to even ask, but I thought there's a chance.

-Brian
Parts of Canada are covered, while Microsoft is still working to get it online in others. Not sure about Jason's area, but since he is reviewing one, I would assume he has coverage. :)

And as for waterproof, the Fossil (& Abacus) watches are water resistant and the Suunto N3 watch is "sportproof" which is Suunto's way of saying that basically means it is a tough watch and is waterproof.

Frankly, I was also sent this video for posting on my site, but I've decided not to post it because I don't really think it helps the MSN Direct/SPOT technology at all. The secret agent man idea is a good one, but poorly done in this case I think.

acronym
02-11-2004, 02:39 AM
....buffering.........buffering....

they couldn't show the watch, because then you would know how FREAKING HUGE that thing is. Also notice that the guy modeling it is way taller than everybody else in the commercial. I suppose it would fit someone, if they were, say, the size of shaq.

If I remember correctly, that particular watch is also the smallest available.

it is amazing how low quality video (as far as resolution....among other things) really brings out bad skin.

Janak Parekh
02-11-2004, 02:41 AM
they couldn't show the watch, because then you would know how FREAKING HUGE that thing is.
You are absolutely correct. I personally wouldn't mind, because I've always worn large watches -- such as the Seiko MessageWatch, back when it existed. But I think the mass-market will probably pass up the existing models.

--janak

IntegraPrelude98
02-11-2004, 02:49 AM
well the last 1/4 of the film was about the watch...the first 3/4 most def not

Jimmy Dodd
02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Also notice that the guy modeling it is way taller than everybody else in the commercial. I suppose it would fit someone, if they were, say, the size of shaq.

Well, you gotta remember he's standing next to Spike Lee. My 5 year old daughter looks talll next to him.

Of course, MS should have gone this route back when Palm always harped about how big PPCs were compared to Palms. You could have had a shot of Shaq holding an iPAQ and then cut to Spike Lee holding a Palm V. The Palm would have looked enormous.