View Full Version : The Bluetooth Wireless Office: Fact or Fiction?

Janak Parekh
02-09-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0209/tec-bluetooth-02-09-04.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/200...th-02-09-04.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"The tangle of computer cables around, behind and between desks in an agency or department can be a major obstacle to productivity for today's highly mobile workforce. Wireless Bluetooth technology has promised to eliminate the clutter by connecting local devices securely and without cables. That promise may be on the verge of fulfillment."<br /><br />These guys take a very balanced approach to Bluetooth, and they do a nice job summing up their experiences with a number of different devices; in fact, they also furnish a sidebar of mini-reviews for each of them. If you want a basic backgrounder in both the theoretical and practical aspects of Bluetooth, you should definitely check this article out. :)

finelemon2
02-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Picture this: You walk into your office, and the contact information you entered into your handheld device is automatically synchronized with your desktop computer — and you didn't even have to take your handheld out of your briefcase.

Actually this won't truly happen with the kind of flexibility that you really want until the tunes and arrow systems are done :)

johncruise
02-10-2004, 02:34 AM
They put up 1 valid and crucial information to make those dreams come true... auto pairing. You can't just walk up on a room and your unit will start synchronizing with each other. You have to intiate it first. That's one flaw bluetooth has. I don't think security has anything to do with this. Of course, needless to say, that auto-handshake should be available only on paired devices.

Just imagine the possibilities if you have that feature... you go start your car and your bluetooth-enabled car (or some accessories that may later be existing in the future) will tell you that it doesn't see any phone or PDA. It tells you that you forgot to bring it with you while you're still on the car :-D Oh man... I know alot of you has this problem. I still keep on forgetting from time to time to bring those important stuffs with me.

jimski
02-10-2004, 05:17 AM
While traveling, when I jump into a rental car and turn on the ignition, my DriveBlue Handsfree Unit immediately bonds with my cellphone, whether it's on my belt or in my bag. Wouldn't take muh to spit out a "No device found" message after 5 or 10 seconds. Now, if Bluetooth can only tell me where I left it. GPS maybe.

jpaq
02-10-2004, 05:29 AM
There may be a simple answer to this, but it escapes me right now.

Why would I buy a $180 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo when I can buy one that is not Bluetooth for $59???

What happened to the inepensive Blueooth chips we heard som much about a couple of years ago?

:?: :? :confused totally: :bangin: :frusty:

Janak Parekh
02-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Why would I buy a $180 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo when I can buy one that is not Bluetooth for $59???
Better range and less interference. In my office, we've got three people with an MX700, and the range is only so-so. In addition, you've got a Bluetooth hub for all your other cordless peripherals.

As for price, it's not the price of the chipset, but rather the fact that it's a new product is why it's so expensive. I'd expect it to come down over the next 6-12 months. Admittedly, it's not for everyone yet.

--janak