View Full Version : Hard reset, here I come!

Steven Cedrone
02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Well, it looks as if I pooched my Ipaq! Not only was it not "waking up" when placed in the cradle, but now it no longer "wakes" at midnight. It must be a combination of the software I have loaded. But just to make sure, I am going to do a hard reset and see if it starts to behave normally.

For those of you who asked for a way to stop the Pocket PC from turning on at midnight: For a nominal fee I'll let you know what's running on my device! :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, I hard reset. Plugged in power, the device did not wake up. Restored from backup. Looks like I may have to call HP on this one. :cry:

Steve

bljarv
02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
We feel your pain...Please allow me to offer my condolences. :roll:

Let us know what they are able to do for you!

Jeff Rutledge
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
That's too bad Steve. It's a pain when these things act up eh?

In my mind they should work perfectly all the time, ever time. In reality, this ranks up with cities on the moon and flying cars. They've been "just around the corner" for years.

Chris Spera
02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I would try a hard reset again, including pulling the battery, if you can.

I have noticed that despite everything being in non-volitile ROM, these devices can behave differently each and every time you hard reset them. Sticky bits can be somewhat of a problem. You might have to hard reset 2-3 times before a problem goes away and does not demonstrate itself on a vanilla device.

I would also take time installing one app at a time, and then doing some testing after each install.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Steven Cedrone
02-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I would try a hard reset again, including pulling the battery, if you can.

I have noticed that despite everything being in non-volitile ROM, these devices can behave differently each and every time you hard reset them. Sticky bits can be somewhat of a problem. You might have to hard reset 2-3 times before a problem goes away and does not demonstrate itself on a vanilla device.

Hi Chris! Tried 4 times, same result: The device does not turn on when put in cradle. Tried with a sync cable as well, no luck. This appears to be some sort of HW issue as the Pocket PC is factory fresh (and when I first got it, it worked as advertised - turned on when placed in cradle)

Steve

pshek
02-10-2004, 09:55 AM
That's too bad Steve. It's a pain when these things act up eh?

In my mind they should work perfectly all the time, ever time. In reality, this ranks up with cities on the moon and flying cars. They've been "just around the corner" for years.

Which begs the question, how reliable are the IPAQs? Please share what manner of problems you've had and how often you have a problem with you IPAQ. Does everyone have similar problems that HP/Compaq should address? Do the problems occur across the entire range? Are the problems generally caused by the user?

Ripper014
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Like all electronic devices... I am sure that 95% plus problems are user related... not because of neglect more because of ignorance... and I mean that in the true sense of the word... people just do not know what they are doing...

Obviously not in this case... but in general... also we all tend to venture outside our current abilities to see what is going to happen if we do this.. or that... maybe its a MAN thing... and just so the the other sex does not get upset with me... you will find that "MAN" is also found in the word "woMAN"...

But in saying all of this... my Hp2210 is a little more flakey than my Casio E-125 ever was... but then it could just be the latest operating system... which by the way my alarm did not fire again this weekend... getting a little tired of how inconsistent this problem is...

You will find that no matter what you are looking at you are going to find the odd bad apple in the barrel... you can only hope that you are lucky enough not to be the one stuck with it...

Jon Westfall
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I had a similar problem with my old Palm m505. Strange situation: The charging cradle wasn't properly grounded (Palm knew of this and offered a replacement free of charge), and in rare events, it discharged static electricity into the m505's charging port. This caused the m505 to not turn on when placed in cradle.

In the end, I could have sent the 505 back but tried a fix posted on a website: Let the thing drain completely dead on battery, recharge, then try. Worked like a charm.

Perhaps something similar?

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
I had a similar problem with my old Palm m505. Strange situation: The charging cradle wasn't properly grounded (Palm knew of this and offered a replacement free of charge), and in rare events, it discharged static electricity into the m505's charging port. This caused the m505 to not turn on when placed in cradle.

Well, I have used more than one way to test whether or not the device would wake up (cradle and usb type chargers)once power was applied. I could try to just use the wall charger without using the cradle. I'll give it a shot (why not, I've done about 9 HR's between yesterday and today) One interesting note though: My 2215 did wake up last night a midnight! I was very suprised to turn on my monitor this A.M. and see a green ActiveSync icon!

BTW, have I told you guys/gals how much I love Sprite backup! :way to go:

Steve

dorelse
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
BTW Steve...I was forced to hard reset after installing and playing around with Pocket Facelift...even after uninstalling it, my 4350 was still not happy. I did not have the HR problems you did though. Couldn't remember if you put it on yours or not, or if you were waiting for my feedback on it.

mrkablooey
02-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Steve,

My 2215 started doing the same thing, not waking when placed in the cradle. It's no big deal for me--not big enough to part with it while it's being fixed.

Sprite Backup does wake it though, at about the same time yours does. ;)

Ripper014
02-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Occasionally I have the same problem with my Hp2210 as well but I usually find if I reboot my PPC it sync's fine and if that doesn't work I reboot the Desktop and I am good to go...

Steven Cedrone
02-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Well, since the device is waking up again at Midnight, I am not too concerned. The "not waking when I apply power" has been that way for so long, it doesn't really bother me. I'll keep an eye on it, this device is in perfect condition and I hate the thought of rading it in for some abused device! :wink:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! :way to go:

Steve