View Full Version : Should I..... ?

masaki
02-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Well, Friday afternoon at the office, I had to reinstall Microsft Office on my work computer. Asked my boss which CD I should use and the key for it. Much to my surprise, my boss told me to use a copy of Office XP Pro that was licensed to a client. He said it was *OK* to do that and Microsoft had never bothered him about it.

I installed it and activated it as well with the company info filled in. I had no choice because I had to finish something for work or my boss will f**king yell. I had a minidisc recorder with me and I taped him *telling* me what to use for Microsoft Office.

I've only been at this job for a month and my friend whom I graduated with in Oct works there too. We don't really care if we loose this job considering the boss is extremely verbally abusive to his staff. (Apparently, my boss told my friend if she continued to go out for lunch with me, he'd fire her. What's up with that???)

Is what I was told to do about installing Office legal? Should I really call MS?

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, I am sure that the company that paid for the license would have something to say about it! If you don't technically own that licensed copy, then what you are doing is illegal. Period!

It sounds as if you and your friend should complain to HR about your boss. Nobody should be telling you to do things that are illegal, yelling at you, or telling you who you can and can't go to lunch with.

Just my .02

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Chances are he used a Volume License version if there was no activation process. However, if he's using a key licensed to a customer, that's almost definitely against the Volume License. A call to MS could very possibly prompt an audit. As to whether doing that or talking to HR is the correct resolution, that's something that will probably reside on whether or not the company has HR. ;)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2004, 11:07 PM
I don't think it was a volume license, the original post said he had to activate the product...

As to whether doing that or talking to HR is the correct resolution, that's something that will probably reside on whether or not the company has HR. ;)

Good point! How big is this company anyway?

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't think it was a volume license, the original post said he had to activate the product...
Good point! Then it's even more egregious. :|

Good point! How big is this company anyway?
My guess is small, otherwise would this guy's attitude be tolerated?

--janak

masaki
02-09-2004, 04:23 AM
It's a very small company. We don't have an HR department. Basically, the boss IS the HR.

dmacburry2003
02-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Just because I'm sneaky I would say call up Microsoft and arrange for a bargain, the boss for your own copy of Micorosft Office. :wink:

No, seriously, you can call them. The number is right on the activation process. Someone might get angry but if you want to go right ahead and report them. Maybe you will get something off of it. Does MS have a site for illegal software reporting? Or maybe it is against privacy :?

masaki
02-09-2004, 04:56 AM
I don't want to get anything out of it. My biggest concern is that *I* was the one who did the install eventhough my boss told me to. He can always lie if Microsoft did find out something through the online activation. I just started working in IT after college, I don't want to get into any legal matter.

I'm just gonna uninstall it tomorrow morning, call MS to find out if I could do that first.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2004, 06:25 AM
I don't want to get anything out of it. My biggest concern is that *I* was the one who did the install eventhough my boss told me to.
Ah, good point. I guess it hinges on whether or not other computers in the office have the same activation.

--janak

dmacburry2003
02-09-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't want to get anything out of it. My biggest concern is that *I* was the one who did the install eventhough my boss told me to. He can always lie if Microsoft did find out something through the online activation. I just started working in IT after college, I don't want to get into any legal matter.

I'm just gonna uninstall it tomorrow morning, call MS to find out if I could do that first.

Do you think it would depend on who purchased the software? Ex: I build a software robot installation system and give it software cd's to install; illegal ones. Should someone sue the robot or should they sue me? (just a point of argument) In this case, you would be the robot installer, and the boss would be handing you the software. Again, just a point.

By the way, are there any cameras or anything in your... er... offices? Microsoft always likes to get technical with their legal affairs. You could give proof.

Anyway, I would just do some research to see how they handle this type of deal (I'm sure they have to all the time) and then you can call them. But beware, uninstalling does not always remove the components of the Microsoft Office System :wink: