View Full Version : Double Outlook double user dilemma

Havoc
02-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I have my desktop that my wife has been syncing her PPC to and recently switched it to two user profiles (Windows itself). I haven't received my PPC in the mail yet, but when I sync it, is my information going to wipe hers in Outlook out or vice versa? I only ask because I can see all her Outlook info in my profile, as well as her profile. Also, if we are using the same model PPC's, can we use the same cradle, or should I install a new set of USB ports? (She selfishly used the last one...) Thanks guys, for your help last time, I am new to the PPC world, and you are making the transistion easier!

:oops:

Janak Parekh
02-08-2004, 07:17 PM
I only ask because I can see all her Outlook info in my profile, as well as her profile.
Does this mean the two of you share the same Outlook data file? i.e., if you make an entry in your user account, do you see it in hers? If so, you want to segregate that first. Find that out, and what version of Outlook you're using, and we can help.

Also, if we are using the same model PPC's, can we use the same cradle
Yes. :)

--janak

Havoc
02-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Janak,

Thanks for getting back to me - I am using Outlook 97 probably off the Office 97 package, and Windows ME. When I am on my profile and I bring up Outlook, I can see the things she has already synced from her PPC, and when I type something in, I can log off and log onto her Windows profile, and pull up Outlook and see my entry. How can I separate the 2? I tried to make 2 profiles for Outlook, but that was a frikkin' debacle. You know I used to know my way around computers.... sigh.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Thanks for getting back to me - I am using Outlook 97 probably off the Office 97 package, and Windows ME.
Ah! Windows ME is a lot weaker about separating profiles than Windows 2000 or XP.

First off, you need to separate the settings for the two Windows user profiles. I think this is done in Control Panel => Users. I haven't done it in years, though, so you may have to hunt for this.

Once that is done, you need to delete and create a new "Outlook profile" for one of the two users (say, yourself). Assuming the Windows user profile data is segregated, the Outlook profiles should also be, and launching Outlook should automatically pull up the right profile for the right user.

(By the way, before you start messing with profiles, I suggest you make a backup copy of any .PST files on your computer...)

--janak