View Full Version : GPRS dialing from PPC via Bluetooth kills voice calls

QYV
02-08-2004, 04:44 AM
I have my iPAQ 2200 set to Exchange ActiveSync wirelessly using my T68i Bluetooth phone every 5 minutes during "peak hours". Since it is impractical to maintain a constant GPRS connection all day, this means that my Pocket PC will dial into my phone via Bluetooth every five minutes in order to sync, and then disconnect when finished. Good so far.

However, there is a problem when I am actually using the phone for voice calls. If I am talking with someone and the iPAQ tries to initiate a connection to sync, it hangs up on my voice call and establishes a GPRS connection instead. Needless to say, this is not desired behavior.

I verified that the "wait for dial tone" box is checked in my settings for the connection I'm using to dial; however, I suspect this is irrelevant to GPRS connections both from my limited understanding of the technology and also the fact that having the box checked doesn't fix the problem. I am wondering if perhaps there is a modem string command which forces the GPRS connection to verify that an existing connection of any kind is not already present? Failing that, I'm open to workarounds (my latest idea is to answer my phone when a call comes in and then quickly disable Bluetooth on the iPAQ, which is one heckuva kludge...).

freitasm
02-08-2004, 11:21 AM
The problem is that there are three classes of GPRS data terminal:

Class A will keep voice and data connections at the same time
Class B will keep one or the other, terminating the current one
Class C will keep one or the other, but you have to switch manually.

There are no Class A devices currently in the market, and almost all mobile phones are Class B. So, not desired behavior as you say, but not much can be done when using these devices.

I'm afraid there's no option to disable data calls if a voice call is in progress... :(

BigDaddy
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
One 19.99 solution I used was to purchase (free with contract) another T616 (cingular, tmobile, or AT&T have this offer) for date use only. Though having 2 phones to carry might seem like a bit much, you will find this works out better than you might expect. Also, i have an unlimited GPRS plan which I just stay connected on for Active Sync, audio/video streaming, instant messaging etc...

Good Luck

QYV
02-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Also, i have an unlimited GPRS plan which I just stay connected on for Active Sync, audio/video streaming, instant messaging etc...

I'm curious: do you then leave your device on constantly to avoid having to redial each time? How's the battery life? Doesn't your connection drop when you cradle the device for desktop ActiveSync? I'd really like to know more details about your scenario, as I also have unlimited GPRS and would like to do the same as you.

BigDaddy
02-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Yes, it is on for the most part and remember once you have the GPRS settings in, it is only a mater of reconnecting by pressing the connect button (H5555 w/ PPC2003). A s far as battery life, you will notice a drain due to the bluetooth connection going. This is why I would suggest you purchase an extra battery and an expansion pack (I have a PC Expansion sleeve for the Toshiba 5GB PC Card filled with room for email attachments, video files shot with the HP SD CAM or downloaded shows captured and converted, and my MP3 library) found for excellent prices on eBay. Just like with a WLAN connection, the device will switch to USB activesync when in the cradle. But since I charge the battery and expansion pack in the separate charger, I think I might only sit the unit in my cradle only on sunday when I play catch-up for the new week.

I wish you luck and if you need anything please feel free to contact me here. Always willing to help someone become a totally mobile.

~BD

ps...the 19.99 is the price to add the second phone (free) for your plan...