View Full Version : DSL + wifi

Stormswift
02-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Right now I have cable modem + wi-fi router + wi-fi cf card on my IPAQ. How will this compare speed-wise if I switch to DSL connection +wi-fi 802.11b router + wi-fi cf card on my IPAQ?.
How slow will it get?

Wiggster
02-08-2004, 04:22 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that switching between different types broadband won't effect your Pocket PC transfer speed at all. The bottleneck in speed lies in the rate of transfer between your WiFi card and your Pocket PC, and with the Pocket PC's processing power. Unless either your Cable or DSL service in the area is exceptionally fast or slow, there won't be a discernable difference on your PDA.

Stormswift
02-08-2004, 04:26 AM
thank you. I kind of thought the same thing. I guess I will be finding out if we are right soon enough

dhettel
02-08-2004, 04:27 AM
My guess is you will not see much of a difference one way or another. The Internet connection is what is limiting your connection now, the Wi-Fi or wireless equipment you have is faster than cable or DSL. In most areas that I know of, generally their is not a big difference in real world speed.

Perhaps cable speed jumps around more than DSL, I find that once you get out on the Internet, they both are generally being fed the same feed.

I hear that by the end of next month, my DSL speed will be boosted by a factor of 4 or more. So in 70 days I might have reason to change my mind.

Stormswift
02-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Much appreciate the input. I got spoiled a bit with cable but now, because of Internet and TV programs cost Direct TV and DSL are goingnto be a less costly alternative.