View Full Version : Buy a wifi ipaq if I am not going to pay for service?

dangerousdave
02-07-2004, 10:44 AM
I just need to know if I should spend the extra money on a wifi ipaq, right now a 4150, if I do not plan on paying for monthly access? Are there many free 802.11b access sites? Thanks :wink:

Wiggster
02-07-2004, 11:11 AM
You don't pay for WiFi service, unless you go to a hotspot at an Airport or of a coffee bar and sign up for service.

WiFi isn't like a cellular phone, it's not a long-range connectivity. It's like a regular wire-based LAN: if you can see yourself running a Cat-5 cable from the Hub/router/switch, that's about the range of the WiFi (around 130 feet or so). It's a network like a computer network, rather than cell phone network.

And there are some free WiFi hotspots around, I believe WiFinder.com has a listing.

dmy
02-07-2004, 04:46 PM
And in a lot of cases.... the pay-for hotspots aren't as pay for as they may seem.

Starbucks, for example, will give you a coupon upon request (with any purchase) for free access time that's actually usable at any t-mobile hotspot location.... Same for McDonalds and ATT's. Just make sure you look for a hotspot sticker on the door and ask for the coupon even if you don't use it right away. Take the kids for a happy meal or buy a cup of coffee and get free access the next time you're in an airport and your flight is delayed.

Not to mention that a lot of hotels have free access, as well as thousands of free hotspots across the country. Oh, and there's always those unsecured WiFi routers/hubs in many neighborhoods..... we have at least 5 or 6 on the street I live on. My router is secure, but your neighbor's may not, and I've found open connections in neighborhoods, stores, libraries, business parks.... all over the place.

D.

dmacburry2003
02-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Why not get an 802.11b access point/router and hook it up to your ethernet modem (if you have one)?

Or, you can get the PPC to sync Wi-Fi with a desktop PC and share internet access (for dial-up) via ActiveSync.

This way, it is always free and enjoyable (when your at home).

dangerousdave
02-07-2004, 05:16 PM
dmacburry2003, CloudDancer, adwignall, Thanks for the suggestions or comments. Obviously I don't understand wifi very well so I appreciate your ideas.

I have a cable modem connected to my Dell USB port. I have an ethernet port that is used most of the time to connect to my xbox ethernet port for online gaming. So what options do I have for connecting a wireless to my PC to allow access for my Pocket PC? :?:

Wiggster
02-07-2004, 06:22 PM
The easiest thing would be to buy a WiFi router (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384562525&skuId=4778547&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01028) and a 3-foot ethernet cable. What you do then is put your wireless router ten your short ethernet cable and plug it in to the Wireless router instead of your X-Box. From there, you just plug your X-Box back into the WiFi router, and you should be able to access the internet.

The USB port on the cable modem might cause some trouble. What would be best is to EITHER buy another ethernet cable and plug it in to the rotuer and to the network card on your computer (if you have a network card in there that you can plug ethernet into) OR buy a wireless network card (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384382576&skuId=4463459&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01028) and use that for connecting to the internet (if you don't have a network card already).

I hope that helps!

Perk
02-07-2004, 09:12 PM
I use a wifi CF card on my iPAQ and am able to connect at home, anywhere, it beats Avantgo while connected but is no substitute since I can lookup movie times away from home on Avantgo.

These days, if you have a cable or dsl modem, it's really worth while. You can pick up a Linksys "g" router for $89 @ Best Buy. They were closing out "B" routers a few weeks back too. I use an Ambicom CF wifi card and had to d/l the 2k3 drivers from their site. It's a breeze to set-up.

Drawback:
My home network is secure with lower encription because it bogs down the cpu in my iPAQ. At work, our IT guys have max encription and the page loading speed is like a 14bps modem and just not worth while.

To get Hollywood.com to work, I had to create a custom page with 3 links deep. http://www.hollywood.com/avantgo/movies.asp?SearchDate=10%2F28%2F2003&SearchZip=80126&searchradius=5&submit1=submit

Perk
02-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the great info on Starbucks!