View Full Version : Heralding the Death of QWERTY, FrogPad Releases Bluetooth Enabled One-Handed Keyboard

Jason Dunn
02-06-2004, 09:33 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040106005819&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal...819&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div>"FrogPad(TM) Inc. (<a href="www.frogpad.com">www.frogpad.com</a>), maker of the revolutionary portable one-handed keyboard, and its strategic Bluetooth(TM) solutions partner, Gennum Corporation (TSX: GND), will conduct a demonstration and announce the general availability of a Bluetooth enabled FrogPad keyboard at a press conference here today (see below for more information about the press conference). The new keyboard incorporates FrogPad's patented ergonomic layout designed around the 15 most-used letters in the English alphabet with the latest short-range wireless Bluetooth technology. <br /><br />Pioneering a new global standard for data entry, the FrogPad keyboard breaks the century-old QWERTY code. Unlike QWERTY, whose design was derived from the limitations of 19th Century typewriter technology, the FrogPad offers a logical key layout and design that encourages correct ergonomic posture. Additionally, given its use of full-size keys, the FrogPad offers users of mobile computing devices an effective alternative to the script-based or mini thumb keyboard platforms currently available. After an average of 8 hours of training and practice, most FrogPad users can achieve input rates of up to 40 words per minute, as compared to the average of 10-20 words per minute by the fastest thumb typists."

nobody
02-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I really hope that someone will come up with a one-handed typing but still faster than two-handed typing. Is this the case here?

Jason Dunn
02-06-2004, 09:46 PM
I really hope that someone will come up with a one-handed typing but still faster than two-handed typing. Is this the case here?

Yes, my understanding is that the Frogpad is a one-handed typing tool. No clue how it really works though - more info on their site...

jb
02-06-2004, 09:59 PM
HHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

$190.00 ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Price needs to go down fast.

egads
02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Death of QWERTY ???
BlueTooth is dead also, so how can the FrogPad even take off :D

Jokes aside, I would much prefer a good QWERTY thumb board to what I saw of the FrogPad.

mxm
02-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I read something on their site that the bluetooth frogpad will not work with pocket PC's, due to the lack of HID support. Not quite sure about it though.

Does anyone have some more info on this?

tom dunne
02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Pioneering a new global standard for data entry,

:lol: Who writes this crap?

dmacburry2003
02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Honestly, when I first heard about this, I thought it was an extension to the popular "LeapPad" learning system. I don't know what I would use it for. Maybe to play the lottery...

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-06-2004, 10:49 PM
I read something on their site that the bluetooth frogpad will not work with pocket PC's, due to the lack of HID support. Not quite sure about it though.

This is what they said at their site

Any Bluetooth product that supports the HID profile will interface with FrogPad. Apple and PC's and tablets with Bluetooth and of course the Bluetooth Dongle's support the HID profile. And products like Antelope Technologies will also allow for this interface in the future. Interestingly enough, neither mobile phones nor PDA's supports HID at this time. Me thinks it is because they are so wrapped up and invested in the miniature Qwerty. They will learn……………

They also said it would be $200.00 USD for the Bluetooth model when it comes out. Not that I would spend that much to be able to type one handed! :roll:

iPAQ_ace
02-07-2004, 01:33 AM

This is what they said at their site

Any Bluetooth product that supports the HID profile will interface with FrogPad. Apple and PC's and tablets with Bluetooth and of course the Bluetooth Dongle's support the HID profile. And products like Antelope Technologies will also allow for this interface in the future. Interestingly enough, neither mobile phones nor PDA's supports HID at this time. Me thinks it is because they are so wrapped up and invested in the miniature Qwerty. They will learn……………

They also said it would be $200.00 USD for the Bluetooth model when it comes out. Not that I would spend that much to be able to type one handed! :roll:

Yes, unfortunately, this is true. To the best of my knowledge, none of the current Pocket PC's out there today with built-in Bluetooth have the HID profile included. So for now, that would mean that we are S.O.L.

I am trying to raise this potential issue with an iPAQ Pocket PC Product Manager in the hopes that at least future iPAQ Pocket PC's include this profile. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this was an add on in a ROM upgrade after several customer complaints who can't use the Bluetooth keyboards like the Bluetooth FrogPad or the upcoming Bluetooth Stowaway keyboard.

Ouch $200 is a lot of money - I believe Think Outside will do better with theirs, somehow I have a feeling that the Bluetooth Stowaway will be around the same pricing as the Stowaway XT and the Stowaway Wireless.

Steven Cedrone
02-07-2004, 01:35 AM
I would like to see a video of just how fast a person would really be able to type using this thing with one hand!

Steve

Cameron_Talley
02-07-2004, 01:36 AM
As an English major, I don't think I will be adopting the new "Global Standard" anytime soon. Maybe if I started over and learned frogpad from the start, but I don't think that is possible. We already have a million different "standards" for everything from Flash formats to print cartridge design. Lets not get keyboards involved. They got that right with the typewriter!

iPAQ_ace
02-07-2004, 01:43 AM
I would like to see a video of just how fast a person would really be able to type using this thing with one hand!

...me too because after spending sometime with it and not being able to get used to it, I would probably turn it into a good punching pad... :lol: ...that would make for an even better video :lol:

JGRicci
02-07-2004, 02:03 AM
it looks classy.. i know we need to find better input devices for computers.. this is a neat idea, but it still involves button pressing :P

and yea 190$ ridiculous.. i'll wait for it to be 45$ that sounds reasonable.

linda
02-07-2004, 06:26 PM
:robot: In answer to a few of the questions;
Actually we agree with all. Price is an issue. Yet we are still quite Grass Roots. Although we have been in R&D for usability and industrial design for 5 years, we just launched USB FrogPad this last October. And we don't advertise. We are so open to ideas and suggestions, and we will be making an impact to the price as soon as we have some critical mass.
Now that Bluetooth is taking off, it was just a natural evolution for Froggie. The value of FrogPad is that is compact, portable, fully functional, and uses full sized keys. And for the portable wireless Internet form factors that are being built, the requirement for full functionality is critical. You don't need a FrogPad for IM's. You do need a FrogPad for editing, documents, PowerPoint’s, excel spreadsheets, etc.
With respect to the speed of data entry with FrogPad; it is very easy and quick to get up to speed (40 wpm) and we will really try to get a video up asap. And we now have found the drivers for the HID for Palms and Pocket PC's.
Also, go to our FrogBlog and read about the gaming applications we want to develop. http://frogpad.zeroforum.com/
May the Frog Be with you!

Resistance is Futile.

Wiggster
02-07-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm definitely keeping my eye on that device. I'm not sure how I'd benefit from the one-handed approach to keyboarding, as I tend to type with my PDA when I'm at a desk and can use a fold-out keyboard already. The FrogPad looks very well put together, but it still looks like it's meants for putting on a surface and using.

I'm really intriqued by the prospect of the gaming functionality. I might just have to register over there and provide some input on this.

Oh, and a personal comment: I always think it's a great thing to see when a CEO comes out and comments on something. :way to go:

sesummers
02-07-2004, 11:22 PM
I have drawings that old of a similar idea (although considerably different layout- mine is 4 rows and 6 columns, and uses a cluster of 4 shift keys that can be pressed in pairs to get capitalized versions of non-primary keys.)

I considered trying to do something with the design but ran into the same problem FrogPad is going to. In small quantities, these things cost far too much per-unit to attract enough users to get the quantities high enough to be practical.

To get something like this to work, you really need a ton of venture capital so you can build a million of them and sell them for $20. But if it doesn't catch on, you're out at least 20 million bucks.

I'd love to see something like this catch on, and I'd love to try it. But I'm not going to blow $200 on the experiment. If they'll send me one for free (or $20), I'd gladly try it and pass along my opinion &lt;g>, but I doubt that's a business proposition that FrogPad is interested in pursuing.

linda
02-08-2004, 12:47 AM
8) Thanks for the comments, and thank you for your concern. Your design is interesting. We are doing very well. We have positioned our keyboard in the ergonomic and assistive technology market, and actually we are lower priced in that market. We are not for the masses just yet, and when the market is ready to buy, we can then make more units and bring the price down.

Froggie is for one that sees the demand for an efficient, portable, unit that can be used now on any USB product. A PC, a Mac, a tablet, a convergent PC, and soon PDA’s and mobile phones. Our current market is 30% education and/or disabled and 70% programmers, AutoCad and PhotoShop users, and of course the innovators of the world. What is phenomenal is the number of people all over the world who taking the time to order and pay international shipping. Our real home run will be the portable wireless Internet products that require a human interface device. 'nuf said, .. ...keep on Froggin'

tsb_hcy
02-08-2004, 03:52 AM
This has got to be an early April Fool's joke. :roll:

Wiggster
02-08-2004, 04:02 AM
This has got to be an early April Fool's joke. :roll:

Um... why do you say that?

Steve Jordan
02-08-2004, 04:43 AM
When I only have one hand free, I press the voice memo button. I'm still holding out for a PPC voice-to-text app. Dragon, are you listening?

BevHoward
02-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Linda's apparently the frogs mother and it looks like she a a very reasonable approach to one who has tried (without success) several of the chording keyboards... my brain's just wired wrong.

To get a good idea of how the keyboard works. walk through http://www.frogpad.com/store/training.asp# (not easy to find on your site linda)

I'm still convinced that my brain will not accept the muscle memory rewiring necessary to use it and the near $200 cost necessary to answer that question is too high for me.

One primary observation is that the design is going to miss a high percentage of the PocketPC community because it does not offer ir nor serial interface... most ppc's don't have usb host capabilities and those limits make it incompatable with my current ppc without an additional $200 investment to go the BT route.

Beverly Howard MS-MVP
http://BevHoward.com

iPAQ_ace
02-09-2004, 03:59 PM
And we now have found the drivers for the HID for Palms and Pocket PC's.

Nice. No Bluetooth HID profile on current PPC's was my biggest worry about the Frogpad and other upcoming Bluetooth keyboards.

Cipher
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
I was going to order one...that was until I saw the price...ouch!!!