View Full Version : Is the 415x being discontinued???

Dave Potter
02-06-2004, 03:08 AM
I've heard rumors... Does anyone known if it is true?

JonnoB
02-06-2004, 03:12 AM

I have heard the same rumors... spread at the same time as rumors of the 63xx device.

Caruso
02-06-2004, 03:33 AM

Could be...I just got one for $391 which is getting pretty low. That doesn't mean it isn't a great machine, though. Sometimes, discontinued stuff is still good, especially if it does exactly what you need it to do.

Wiggster
02-06-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm hoping it lasts for a few more months, as I think it'll be my next purchase...

arnage2
02-06-2004, 04:14 AM
its way too early for it to be axed. It has been out since fall. I cant imagine seeing a replacement until summer.

Talldog
02-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I think this rumor got started because someone who hangs out on one of these PPC sites was told by a BestBuy salesperson that they were going to stop carrying them. I don't know that I would put any stock in that, especially since the 41xx has gotten very good reviews in the press, and most of the people who own them (at least the ones who post) seem pretty happy with them. I know I'm happy with mine.

jbachandouris
02-07-2004, 01:18 PM
No, the rumor was started by someone who spoke directly with HP who confirmed this.

jbachandouris
02-07-2004, 01:23 PM
From a rumor report in pdatoday:

The death of the 4100 series

While investigating the 6300 series product we learned that the 4100 series is not long for this world. We were not able to obtain any additional information as to the why or when but I would speculate lackluster sales in a burgeoning Pocket PC market place coupled with too many iPAQ product lines. I suspect they will continue sales until the second quarter when they announce the 6300 series. It’s shame because I really liked the 4100 series product.

I will update this article when and if I learn more information that I can share.

--Bill Landon

shawnc
02-07-2004, 03:03 PM
You know, I was totally fed up with PPC and was sooo close to buying the Treo 600 (I know there are some "haters" on this site but as a previous Treo owner I can personally say that it is a great machine). Then I saw the 4150 and was mesmerized by its beauty. After owning it for a month or so I became even more enamored with its functionality. I think it is the best PPC made up to this point regardless of price. It's the 1st PPC I've owned that does everything it is supposed to do (minus the alarm issue which is minor for me) and is simple enough for a non-techie. I didn't need to hire a team of consultants to get wireless working.

But every once in a while I see that Treo and think Hmmmmm. Then I look at my 4150 and realize that I made the right decision. However if this machine is being discontinued after such a seemingly short shelf life, then that would definitely make me wonder if I made the right decision. With all the HP PPC's on the market, why in the world would they consider shelving this one??

Caruso
02-07-2004, 11:13 PM
However if this machine is being discontinued after such a seemingly short shelf life, then that would definitely make me wonder if I made the right decision.

Why? If the machine does everything you need it to with the style you want it to have, why would the discontinuing of that product make it any less right for you. There are people who still swear by the Newton, and my 5GB iPod is the ONLY version I would use even though it is long gone.

rob_ocelot
02-08-2004, 12:28 AM
From a rumor report in pdatoday:

The death of the 4100 series

While investigating the 6300 series product we learned that the 4100 series is not long for this world. We were not able to obtain any additional information as to the why or when but I would speculate lackluster sales in a burgeoning Pocket PC market place coupled with too many iPAQ product lines. I suspect they will continue sales until the second quarter when they announce the 6300 series. It’s shame because I really liked the 4100 series product.

I will update this article when and if I learn more information that I can share.

--Bill Landon

Lackluster sales.

I believe it, not because the 41xx series are bad products (far from that) but because the unit attempted to span a gap between two vastly different markets -- and ended up falling into the crack between them.

On one side we have the Corporate/Enterprise clients which are serivced by the 5000 series. The 4000 series are basically '5000 lite and smaller' and most corporations would just as soon spend the extra money and get the 5000 series and the ability to use sleeves.

On the other side of the fence we have the casual consumer who is more apt to buy into the 2200 series for many reasons. Availability is a big one.

I know quite a few people in Canada who saw the 4100 series on TechTV, and were impressed enough to go out and buy one. The problem was that neither Futureshop/BestBuy nor Staples ever stocked them! This was one of the first PocketPC's that friends of mine who weren't PocketPC fantatics or even PDA or tech savy were talking about and lusting after. That's a lot of lost sales right there because all of those people passed it by and went on to the next big thing that caught their eye.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that this particular form factor is now associated with HP's 'budget' line (1900 series), which I'm sure led to confusion among consumers.

Interestingly HP hasn't said they are going to discontinue the 4300 series, which is odd because I suspect that the 4300 series has sold LESS units than the 4100. The number of 4300 related posts/reviews on here and other sites seems to bear out that suspicion.

Given the rather short time the 4100 series was given to prove itself (~ 2 months), and the lack of any real push from HP to get the word out about the 4100 it's no wonder the unit 'failed'. I now know just what 2200 owners felt when newer and better machines were announched a mere MONTH after it was released.

Keep this up HP, because I'll be looking at the offerings from other companies the next time. You just lost a good customer.

Dave Potter
02-08-2004, 03:02 AM
But - are these 'the facts' or merely personal opinions?
Has HP actually formally said that they are discontinuing the 41xx?
Or, is all of this conjecture from 'industry insiders'?

ignar
02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I have 4150 for a few months, and I agree it is one of the best PocketPC ever made. Build quality is top notch and having WiFi, BT, and fast CPU in such a compact form factor is amazing. I'm sorry to hear 4150 series is no more, but as a current owner, actually I'm feeling fortunate that I could grab it before it completely disappears. I purchased 4150 as a replacement of 2215, and very happy with my decision. Since I got 4150, I purchased Tungsten T3, Dell X3i, and Treo 600. None of them could beat 4150 in terms of functionality and portability. I returned T3 and X3i, and am using Treo 600 only as a phone. Definately, I wish HP keeps 41xx series, but as long as they honor the warranty, discontinuing doesn't bother me too much since I'm happy with mine.

dangerousdave
02-09-2004, 04:37 PM
I think I am going to buy a 4150 this week. As Caruso states earlier "Why? If the machine does everything you need it to with the style you want it to have, why would the discontinuing of that product make it any less right for you. "

This ipaq really sounds and looks like a great PPC and I need one now. Just don't know of any reason not to buy this especially since it may be discounted, if it is being discontinued. Anything I am not thinking about? Thanks, Dave :lol:

shawnc
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
The 4150/4155 really is a great machine. My concern is not so much what it does now, but moreso support in the future. We are not talking about a $200 PDA here. If HP discontinues it, will I be able to load the next generation OS when its released? Will I be able to run the latest apps?

There is no question that this machine performs admirably and meets all of my needs TODAY. Having said that, I would NOT have purchased had I suspected it was being discontinued. The decision between the 4150 and Treo 600 was too close. Knowing the 4150 was being discontinued would have tipped the pendulum in favor of the Treo.

Dave Potter
02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
I think I am going to buy a 4150 this week. As Caruso states earlier "Why? If the machine does everything you need it to with the style you want it to have, why would the discontinuing of that product make it any less right for you. "

This ipaq really sounds and looks like a great PPC and I need one now. Just don't know of any reason not to buy this especially since it may be discounted, if it is being discontinued. Anything I am not thinking about? Thanks, Dave :lol:

I am also thinking about getting one and either selling my 1935 or giving it to my wife. I don't care that it may be discontinued. The unit is just soooo attractive to me. I WANT IT !!!!

Dave Potter
02-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Well, I took the plunge and bought a 4150. What an awesome machine!
Anyone want to buy my 1935???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
02-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey if it's discontinued that means I might be able to get one on sale for a price I can afford!

jin14
02-14-2004, 06:37 AM
I think everyone is confusing the issue that BEST BUY is discontinuing the sale of the 4155. BEst buy is changing up thier Pocket PC line with different mobels and styles. I think this "rumor" was started by someone who heard from a best buy worker that they are not carring the 4155 anymore. This is true. best buy is not going to carry the 4155 anymore and you will not see it at thier stores. As far as the 4155 not being sold by HP/Compaq anymore. I doubt that.

ignar
02-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Jin14, please read this thread. (Make sure you read from the beginning) :wink:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24126

pdaided
02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
My two Cents,

I've been in this game since the beginning of PPC. I never made the Palm plunge because the week I went to buy my first one, the Ipaq came out. I have owned several units and chased every new thing. As I posted before, the 4355 has given me great joy. All I can say is that if you buy one, use it for a few days without discounting the size, you will love it. I am reading lots of post about how the "ideal product" that most people talk about actually would be more like the original CE clamshell devices that HP produced. Sony is chasing this,(with the wrong OS), and HP is reconsidering this direction. My 4355 is the best of both worlds. It's readily available at my side and does not recquire me to snap on that old finger board I use to carry everywhere. I still own a fold out keyboard but I've yet to use it with this machine. I write email all day, send with bluetooth and journal while laying on my back every night.

The buzz about the new 6000 series does not interest me because bluetooth has given me my needed link and I still have a small phone. In this age of security, there will continue to be more and more places that will not allow the use of devices with onboard phones. The only thing that I am waiting for is RIM technology for my 4355.

My 4355 aka Jornada 568 upgrade, will catch on. It should have been brought out with greater fanfair and not crowded with so many new products. Marketing snafooo if you ask me.

Disclaimer - no one product solves everyones needs. That's the beauty of having a free market system to please us all. I just thought I would defend my "new found friend."

vsaided
3635, 3835, 568, 3950, 2215, 4355 w/ T616.

Dave Potter
02-14-2004, 11:20 PM
The only thing that I am waiting for is RIM technology for my 4355.

YES - I would LOVE to have RIM on my new 4150.

moaske
02-15-2004, 07:35 PM
The 4150/4155 really is a great machine. My concern is not so much what it does now, but moreso support in the future. We are not talking about a $200 PDA here. If HP discontinues it, will I be able to load the next generation OS when its released?
That's exactly my concern as well ! 8O I was just sooooo happy with my 4150; the final and ultimate PDA i've owned so far. I was really planning of using this for a lot more than the usual year-or-so... But of course that would have to include WM2004 upgrades if that would bring anything dramatically new i would need !
It's a shame to see such a marvel of PDA-technique die before it could become the hit i'm sure it would have been.

http://www.foto.demon.nl/devices_roadmap_small.jpg

madbart
02-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Every product has a lifecycle and on the 41xx series it is 9-12 onths depending on stock lvels after the final production run. Dont expect it to be available past June

tanalasta
02-17-2004, 11:42 AM
6-12 months you say? Well i'm hoping they will be available past then for bargain basement prices as everything i want to do on a pda i can do with my antique toshi e310 - and if i upgrade i want to do it with as little a dent on my back pocket as possible ;)

The IPAQ 19xx are selling for less than A$400 nowadays :)

madbart
02-17-2004, 11:46 AM
6-12 months you say? Well i'm hoping they will be available past then for bargain basement prices as everything i want to do on a pda i can do with my antique toshi e310 - and if i upgrade i want to do it with as little a dent on my back pocket as possible ;)

The IPAQ 19xx are selling for less than A$400 nowadays :)

Don't worry to much. I have since spoken to a close friend who works in the mobile division within HP and he says that the 41xx is not being discontinued in the first half of the year.