View Full Version : Do these issues still exist?

gummycat
02-06-2004, 12:38 AM
I had a PPC a while back (ipaq1910). I liked it except the digitizer had issues. Returned it and went back to Palm.

I'm having a big issue with PalmOne right now and they have pissed me off enough to look elsewhere.

When I had the ipaq, the following things really bugged me. Do they still exist? If not, I may switch back. Most likely to the ipaq 4100 (w/out keyboard).

1) The tasks and appts did not have static ids which prevented linked items from remaining after a hard reset (I recall needing to hard reset a bit much). A software vendor with a tasks list program advised me of this issue with the OS when I asked why they don't offer an option to link their tasks into the OS task db.

2) No recurring alarms. On Palm, you can dismiss an alarm on a task and the alarm will still sound at the same time the next day until the task is actually marked as complete. PPC required you to snooze it for 24 hours to sort of kludge to this.

3) When editing entries (like contact names or excel cells) you had to scroll to see the whole line which makes editing difficult when the lines are long. Palm auto word wraps in the contact programs and Docs To Go provides a large view of the cell contents so that you can quickly edit them.

4) In order to move applications to the sd card you had to re-install them

Thanks so much for honest feedback!

Also, any thoughts on the 4100 series from hp? Any known issues with it? I couldn't find much when searching the forums. The battery life OK? I know they offer the 1800mh battery too... anyone with experience with it? Hows the screen and overall quality?

Thanks again!

Mike :?:

livingalways4him
02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
If you didn't like the PPC platform then, you won't now. Very little has changed since the 1910 was released (including your points, sans 3-rd party apps). Stick with Palm, if it works for ya. Get a Clie :).

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
1) The tasks and appts did not have static ids which prevented linked items from remaining after a hard reset (I recall needing to hard reset a bit much).
I'd expect this to still be there. I don't see this being resolved in the near future, because there are higher priorities, AFAICT.

2) No recurring alarms. On Palm, you can dismiss an alarm on a task and the alarm will still sound at the same time the next day until the task is actually marked as complete. PPC required you to snooze it for 24 hours to sort of kludge to this.
I know PPC2k3 has repeating alarms, but not in the fashion you state. OTOH, there are third-party alarm programs you might want to search for that might offer this functionality.

3) When editing entries (like contact names or excel cells) you had to scroll to see the whole line which makes editing difficult when the lines are long.
I don't think this has changed, but I've rarely had such long lines, so I don't know off the top of my head.

4) In order to move applications to the sd card you had to re-install them
The behavior hasn't changed, although you can move quite a few "simple" programs around -- the complex ones that need registry changes, etc. are the ones you'd need to reinstall. Oh, and the shortcut would need to be changed.

Also, any thoughts on the 4100 series from hp? Any known issues with it?
Overall, I've heard glowing reviews. There's lots of discussion in the forums, but you might have to poke around a bit. The one criticism I've heard is that the 4100-series devices yellow a little "too quickly" when you're not viewing them at the optimal angle.

--janak