View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2003: Dysfunctional Networking Tools

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Ever since getting my <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=19&inv_id=256240&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">iPAQ 4150</a>, I've become a total WiFi junkie - I use the 4150 to access data over WiFi several times a day. So you can imagine my frustration when it just stopped working one day...no explanation given. I've always known the networking tools in Windows Mobile 2003 were a little weak, but I didn't realize how weak until I started to try and fix this problem. The issue is that while I can get a connection, I can't get out onto the Web or check my email.<br /><br />First up, there's the complete lack of information about my connection. What's my IP? Is the DHCP server even giving me an IP address? How do I release/renew it? There are no tools to do it. Then there's the WiFi access point listing - there are entries in there that I want to remove, but when I select REMOVE, they usually don't go away. Or, if they do, they come back right away. What I really want to do is to remove the entry for the network I'm on now, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Tapping and holding on the entry when it's connected gives me one option: Remove. I've clicked that several times this morning, and nothing happens - the network listing stays there. I tried it again just now, and it actually worked - but now the connection manager shows me connected to an access point that's 10 KM away from me - yeah, right. :roll: <br /><br />After removing the WAP listing (and that took several attempts), it came back into the listing. Why doesn't a new access point being detected trigger the Zero Config pop-up window where you can enter the WEP key? All in all, very frustrating...but I managed to get it working by removing the "bad" network, letting it find it again, then going into the settings for that network and entering the WEP key again. What a hassle! But the good news is that now everything seems to be working - but I'm left wondering what happened to cause this problem in the first place.<br /><br />Anyone else had struggles with this? I'm reminded of how much I like the wireless software tools on the Dell Axim X3i - Microsoft should just buy them and bundle them with the OS. ;-)

Vincent M Ferrari
02-04-2004, 08:08 PM
My problems with the "zero config" put me at a point where I stopped using my Ipaq 5555. I just don't like the OS best-guessing what things should be.

I went back to using my Axim X5, and am now considering an X3i because Dell's tools are so damned good.

I hate the zero config. At least give us the option whether we want to use it or not. We're not all newbs and we don't all need it done for us.

stevew
02-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Microsoft always seems to come up short on full robust software for the PPC and lets everyone else complete what they should have completed to start with. i.e. Active Sync, PWord, PExcel, PEmail, PIE etc

bdegroodt
02-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I hear ya' Jason. Same issues/complaints/wishes for my 4355. I too had the many miles away WiFi connection issue this weekend (while driving down the freeway over 20 miles from the AP no less).

I'm still highly optimistic about the 41/43xx platforms. Most of the issues are software related and I pray they'll be patched with an update soon.

My favorite issue with WiFi and the 4355 happened after I created an experimental ad-hoc connection with a nearby laptop at work. Had my fun and tried to delete the profile for days. Never deleted and now anytime that laptop is in range I get a prompt asking if I would like to connect. :(

BTW, if you want to add some recommended tools onto your 4150, take a look at the 2 mentioned here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21739&highlight=wifi). I liked them, but ulitmately found the problems I'm having not to be remedied by either of them. Good stuff (especially for free).

Mike Temporale
02-04-2004, 08:23 PM
I use IpConfig from Steve Makofsky ( http://www.furrygoat.com ). It allows for Release and Renew. Best of all it's free.

JonnoB
02-04-2004, 08:38 PM
The problem I have with WiFi (Socket on 2215) is the whole ISP/Internet and Word/VPN issue.

Let me know if you have found a problem around these items.
When I am at home, I set my WiFi settings to use ISP/The Internet settings on that AP. This way, I can browse the net, etc. I recently added a VPN connection that I use to connect to the office and get at internal resources. The VPN gateway does not allow internet access, so on XP, I tell my connection NOT to use the remote gateway for internet access. There is no such setting internally.
At the office, the WiFi settings for the AP there is set to use Work settings. I do not need VPN, but I can't get on the internet unless I change the network card settings to use 'The Internet' instead of work.

Most people say to set both to 'Work' ... but if I do that, I cannot connect to VPN. What have you done to remedy these kinds of problems?

freitasm
02-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I think that all the Microsoft attempts to implement networking on Pocket PC show that this was the last thing they planned to do ( :?: ).

Anyway, I use Cirond's Pocket WinC. Great tool!

T-Will
02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
I use PocketWinc and I HIGHLY recommend it. I lucked out and got it for free when PC World had a special going on.

http://www.cirond.com/site/products/wifispotter.htm

tvalentin
02-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I've had an ipaq 5450 for about a year and had frequient problems accessing wireless netwoks.

These seem to be independant of time or place, and if it works in a certain place on one day that doesn't necessarily mean it will work the next.

The most useful tool i've found for managing network (found from a helpful post on this site that is) conections/information is vxutil from http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html .
It is free and is a cab file download so no pc is required.

It gives you dhcp lease information, allows you to do pings or traceroutes and many other useful diagnostic functions.

One of my most frequent problems in paid hotspots i have is that my web browser won't 'find' the address for signing on to the service. Anyone else get this sort of problem?

Tom

Bandito
02-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I agree with the posters above. PocketWINC and vxUtil are key to Pocket PC networking. With these tools you can override Connection Manager and actually use WiFi networks like you should be able to.

As for the post about Internet vs. Work - this is a HUGE problem with Connection Manager. If I'm surfing the web on my wifi network (setting = Internet), I am unable to connect via ActiveSync unless I set it to Work. This is ridiculous. I can ping the host with vxUtil, but the Pocket PC just refuses to connect. On the flipside, if I'm set to work I am able to ActiveSync, but I am unable to surf the web. This is also a problem when dealing with multiple connection types (WiFi + Bluetooth). I'll be at home with both radios on, and will establish a connection to my WiFi network. As soon as I try hitting a webpage, my Pocket PC tries to dial out over my Bluetooth GPRS, even though I am able to ping whatever I want over WiFi!

It seems as though whoever designed the Pocket PC networking / Connection Manager just did not foresee the types of things people would want to do or the usage scenarios that it will be thrown into.

JoshB
02-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I agree that Pocket WiNC and VxUtil are helpful for Pocket PC networking, I also find that Hudson Mobile's IP Dashboard (http://www.hudsonmobile.com) is great for network connectivity and troubleshooting issues. It's very easy to see your IP address, DNS config, etc. It has tools to let you release/renew DHCP and ping to test basic connectivity, plus it offers great meters and usage reports as well as a nice Today plugin. The whole app is very customizable, so you only see what you want to see, and don't get overwhelmed with data.

Not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer. IP Dashboard is an essential app on my iPAQ 4350.

JoshB

joechen
02-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Just got a 4355 and found a few problems with wifi:
1) If my wifi is enabled and I drive from work
to home (roaming), there's a good chance my 4355
will lock up and require soft reset. Now I always disable
wifi when I'm not using it.

2) LEAP doesn't work at work... I believe because CKIP
(Cisco proprietary) encryption is enabled at work.

3) Can't really force it to use one profile... it's always
automagically finding SSIDs for you.

So yes, Jason I'm frustrated like you, but it's somewhat managable
now... I can connect, it's just not so simple with all the "advance
automatation" and the details that are so necessary in figuring out
what's going wrong like IP address seems to be hidden.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 09:32 PM
As for the post about Internet vs. Work - this is a HUGE problem with Connection Manager.

Indeed. The root of this problem lies in the fact that the people who designed this were thinking purely corporate with people getting Internet access through a proxy server...it's like they assume that no one outside a Fortune 100 company would EVER use a Pocket PC... :?

MVPs have fought and fought and fought on this issue with the people at Microsoft...but it hasn't gotten any better. :cry:

JonnoB
02-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Indeed. The root of this problem lies in the fact that the people who designed this were thinking purely corporate with people getting Internet access through a proxy server...it's like they assume that no one outside a Fortune 100 company would EVER use a Pocket PC... :?

My company is a subsidiary company of a Fortune 500 company. I can tell you that we do not use an internal proxy server for web access and I know of others that do not. This to me, is killing the usefullness of wireless.

MVPs have fought and fought and fought on this issue with the people at Microsoft...but it hasn't gotten any better.

Doesn't MS value the input of its MVPs? This seems to be a wasted resource if those kinds of suggestions fall on deaf ears.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Doesn't MS value the input of its MVPs? This seems to be a wasted resource if those kinds of suggestions fall on deaf ears.

Microsoft categorizes feedback from MVPs into a category called "Power Users", which they feel represents 5% of the overall market. MVPs are in the top 5% of power users...so they see our feedback as being very "niche", even when we insist that "Joe User" is asking for the same thing. It's frustrating, but we keep plugging away at it, hoping that they'll listen to us. :-)

fyiguy
02-04-2004, 10:11 PM
I agree with the posters above. PocketWINC and vxUtil are key to Pocket PC networking. With these tools you can override Connection Manager and actually use WiFi networks like you should be able to.

Yeah, I agree these are valuable networking tools as well as Hudson Mobile's Ip Dashboard(a must have for a person using connectivity) for connectivity information among other things like profiles, another great free program is Pocket DHCP, which also allows for release and renew, (which is also available in IP Dashboard among the other things mentioned by others.) vxUtil is an invaluable networking tool and provides so many functions...and you can't beat the price...

As for the post about Internet vs. Work - this is a HUGE problem with Connection Manager. If I'm surfing the web on my wifi network (setting = Internet), I am unable to connect via ActiveSync unless I set it to Work. This is ridiculous. I can ping the host with vxUtil, but the Pocket PC just refuses to connect. On the flipside, if I'm set to work I am able to ActiveSync, but I am unable to surf the web. This is also a problem when dealing with multiple connection types (WiFi + Bluetooth). I'll be at home with both radios on, and will establish a connection to my WiFi network. As soon as I try hitting a webpage, my Pocket PC tries to dial out over my Bluetooth GPRS, even though I am able to ping whatever I want over WiFi!

I agreee with you on this too, in my opinion the Zero Config is more confusing than the Connection Manager in the 2002 OS. At least you had the option of choosing, "When needed, automatically connect to The Internet using these settings" as well as "When needed, automatically connect to Work using these settings", connection which would automagically dialup your Bluetooth connection if there was no WiFi, with WM2003 it just trys to connect ad nauseum and has a connection error balloon popping up the Cannot Connect, especially when you turn on your PPC(with no radio on) and a third party app like Journal bar wishes to update itself. :roll:

With WM2003 I have to manually switch between how I connect either to Work for Internet surfing and Activesync, if I just want Internet Access,->Internet, and to dial up via Bluetooth GPRS->Bluetooth Settings. I would just like it to find which radio is available/on and connect automatically with the option of preference found in PPC2002.

It seems as though whoever designed the Pocket PC networking / Connection Manager just did not foresee the types of things people would want to do or the usage scenarios that it will be thrown into.

It seems that the Connection manager took a step back to make it easier for the "average" corporate user, IMO they should have the option of using the old connection manager, say a button under the advanced tab.

Wireless used to be simple, but now it seems it got more complicated...

heres hoping 2004 makes some more improvements...

powder2000
02-04-2004, 11:48 PM
I have used pocketdhcp in the past on a fiew of my ppcs (only available for ppc 2002). Tells you all you need to know and you can refresh and renew.

http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/software.html

dma1965
02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
My all time favorite networking tool is PocketLan.

fyiguy
02-05-2004, 12:43 AM
I have used pocketdhcp in the past on a fiew of my ppcs (only available for ppc 2002). Tells you all you need to know and you can refresh and renew.

http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/software.html

It also works with WM2003 :wink:

that_kid
02-05-2004, 01:19 AM
Sorry but this topic is too painfull for me, there's no soapbox big enough for me on this one..........

iPAQ_ace
02-05-2004, 02:10 AM
:frusty: Ugh, and I thought it was just me... Having the same kind of problem with my H5550. I found my the wireless software HP had included in the H5450 less frustrating.

Gee whiz, setting up my Linksys WRT54G router and Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle proved less painful than this.... :roll:

jasoncli
02-05-2004, 02:37 AM
I know what each of you mean. I have a toshiba e755, i had to reset the dang thing several times a day to connect to my various networks. It was just too much work.

I got so frustrated I decided to go with a Palm Treo 600 device, and while I sill love this website I am no longer a Pocket PC user. I use Sprint's network, and can even sync my palmtop over Sprints wireless network.

This single issue drove me so crazy I decided to leave Pocket PC. I still have my toshiba e755, but gonna sell it soon. Shame too because the pocket pc is an advanced device, it just cant seem do the simple things too well. Like alarms (missed so many appointments, lost so much money and almost lost my job on this one), wi-fi... list goes on and on. Been faithful user since Jornada 680. Sigh...

When a PDA takes more time to configure then time saved, it's time to look for another alternative.

SassKwatch
02-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Microsoft categorizes feedback from MVPs into a category called "Power Users", which they feel represents 5% of the overall market. MVPs are in the top 5% of power users...so they see our feedback as being very "niche", even when we insist that "Joe User" is asking for the same thing. It's frustrating, but we keep plugging away at it, hoping that they'll listen to us. :-)
That's pretty weird. Any idea how many MS staff are on the PPC development team?

Unless it's just a handful, it would seem likely at least a few of them use the stuff they develop. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that at least a couple of them lurk in sites like this with some regularity.

*IF* that's true, they have to be aware of some of these issues.....and that it's not just the power users who would like to see some improvements. And if it can be assumed a given that *most* people go to work each day with the desire/intent to do good work, then I have to assume the folks on the PPC dev team would do something about it if it were up to them.

And it's exactly that line of thinking that's caused me to contend for quite some time now that the problem lies somewhere higher up in the food chain at MS. And that the 'suits' see the PPC platform in general as a niche product and when push comes to shove, they choose to devote budget $$ to TabletPC and *maybe* PPC Phone Edition.

I may be all wet, but then again....maybe not.

vtaerodoc
02-05-2004, 03:24 AM
I thought it was just me but coming here today maybe not. I have an iPaq 5555 and seem to be having the same sort of problems. With considerable effort I can actually get the WiFI radio to connect to an access point but whenever I go to IE to try to get out to the internet IE either locks up or I get an error indicating the page cannot be found. This is really a pain especially when I am trying to log on to my T-mobile hot spot account while on the road. The release issue is also a pain.

Is there any hope out there?

Chuck

paolo
02-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Can't help but throw my 2p in (or 2c for you Johnny Foreigners :wink: )...

I agree with all the gripes above. I have just bought a 2210 and although I *can* get it to connect to the various networks I have access to (with hassle), the real problem with the connection manager is that it just isn't properly geared to multiple networks.

Ideally I would like to see the death of Internet vs Work connections and have them replaced with a single screen where I can configure my networks thus:

1) Click "Add network"
2) Enter network details (IP addresses, proxy (if any), etc)
3) Select network card(s) (This is where it gets useful - pick a card for the network OR many cards OR 'Any' OR 'Use dialup connection X')
4) Done.

Then there would be an option to have connections established automatically (ie the OS would try and find a working network combination) or "select network when requested" whereby the connection manager pop-up bubble would present me with a list of networks (and available cards) for me to select.

How does that sound as an idea?

prototype
02-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok I have had a 5450, 5555, and now a 4155 ... yes I have had issues with my wireless in the past but the only issue I can honestly complain about with the 4155 is (once in a blue moon) getting it to release the IP from my wireless network at work when I arrive at the wireless network at home.

As for Internet VS. Work profiles ... just set it to WORK, and then go to Advanced, Proxy Settings, and check "This network connects to the Internet"

There ... done ... you can connect to the internet OR run active sync ... what's the big deal? :roll:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong .. I haven't touched these settings since the day I bought my unit.

-Drew

RainMan848
02-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I have used Kelbran's IP manager to change my network settings. It can change your proxy settings, release/renew a DHCP address. I use a Socket WLAN card so I am able to change my WEP and SSID settings easily.

www.kelbran.com

toml
02-05-2004, 05:13 PM
You might try vxutil, it's free :)

http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html

I use it all the time. It has an ip subnet calc, password generator, whois, time service, ping, traceroute, telnet, dns checking, and a release/renew function, ping sweep, port scanner, and several other fuctions I'm not familiar with!

I'm a network admin and it's my swiss army knife :)

JonnoB
02-05-2004, 05:25 PM
As for Internet VS. Work profiles ... just set it to WORK, and then go to Advanced, Proxy Settings, and check "This network connects to the Internet"

That won't allow you to connect to a VPN because it will assume you are already on the network when you are at 'home'. To use VPN, you have to be on 'The Internet' and not at 'Work'

prototype
02-05-2004, 05:49 PM
That won't allow you to connect to a VPN because it will assume you are already on the network when you are at 'home'. To use VPN, you have to be on 'The Internet' and not at 'Work'

OK so it still presents a challenge for VPN users ... but that simple setting will work for everyone else.

I've never believed in keeping all my contact, calendar, notes, and task information on my work PC (or should I say the enterprise exchange server) hell it is Big Brother enough without all that information up there ... so I've never made use of the VPN functionality.

JonnoB
02-05-2004, 06:12 PM
It is not just VPN, but any dial-up connection that might be needed. GPRS for example. Basically, it makes using a Pocket PC in it's 'automated' state either useless for remote users or useless when out of the office.

Bandito
02-07-2004, 06:45 AM

Ahh... if only it were that simple. I've tried numerous times with numerous different Pocket PC's, all of them 5450's, some with 2002 and some with 2003. That setting doesn't stick unless you enter a proxy server. If you can prove me wrong I would love it! But I have truly never been able to get that @#$! box to stay checked. Every time I go back in the box has been cleared.

Jason Dunn
02-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Ahh... if only it were that simple. I've tried numerous times with numerous different Pocket PC's, all of them 5450's, some with 2002 and some with 2003. That setting doesn't stick unless you enter a proxy server. If you can prove me wrong I would love it! But I have truly never been able to get that @#$! box to stay checked. Every time I go back in the box has been cleared.

This is a known bug that we've been reporting to Microsoft since 2002, and it has yet to be fixed or even acknowledged as a problem. :evil: Microsoft does not seem to understand that not everyone connects to the Internet through a proxy like they do...

But, FWIW, I have my 4150 set to WORK/WORK and I can sync with my external Exchange server, sync with my desktop PC, and get Internet access - I just ignored the stupid box.

JonnoB
02-07-2004, 08:44 AM
But, FWIW, I have my 4150 set to WORK/WORK and I can sync with my external Exchange server, sync with my desktop PC, and get Internet access - I just ignored the stupid box.

You just can't dial up a company network via VPN because with that setting, you told it you were already at 'Work'

DVD
03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
You might try vxutil, it's free :)

http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html

.... It has ... telnet....

What ver of vxUtil do you have? I have 1.5.6, and can't see any mention of telnet. Nor can I see any in the context of vxUtil at the Cambridge Computer Corp website.

This is of interest to me at the moment because I really need a telnet client.

ctmagnus
03-15-2004, 09:01 PM
vxUtil does not include a Telnet client. There's a discussion of a free one here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24549&highlight=telnet), though.

btw, vxUtil is now up to version 1.6.1.

DVD
03-15-2004, 10:31 PM
vxUtil does not include a Telnet client. There's a discussion of a free one here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24549&highlight=telnet), though.

Tku. Just d/l'd and installed PocketPuTTY. A little rough around the edges UI-wise, but good value for the price ($0). :)