View Full Version : Ohh, the yellow screen.

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Is there any other Pocket PC's that utilize some type of screen like the yellow one in the lowest and highest-end iPaqs? Any blue, red, pink? :roll:

Brad Adrian
02-04-2004, 02:51 AM
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if those are the only devices with screen color shifts?

Janak Parekh
02-04-2004, 05:44 AM
I think he's asking if anyone else uses the exact same model transflective LCDs that have a propensity to yellow so quickly.

The answer is "maybe". All transflective screens yellow given sufficient angle. My i700 does, but you have to twist it quite a way. It seems the iPAQs have a bit less tolerance about this. I'd be curious to know why, but most actual owners seem to report it's not really noticeable in everyday use.

--janak

Andy Whiteford
02-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Is this issue not linked the higher contrast that these give over the likes of the bluer screen of the h2210? I still don't see why they switched from the screen on the h1910 which had smaller borders and was every bit as bright and vivid as the h1940/h4150 but without the yellow hue.

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Are there any Pocket PC's that give a certain hue is what I should have asked.

I stated somewhere else that it is shameful :oops: of HP to use the same SCAAARY yellowy LCD in the higher-end 4000 series.

Janak Parekh
02-04-2004, 05:03 PM
I still don't see why they switched from the screen on the h1910 which had smaller borders and was every bit as bright and vivid as the h1940/h4150 but without the yellow hue.
Actually, the 1910 screen will yellow, just at a greater angle. I held one a few days ago and noticed that by tilting it enough (maybe the other way, i.e., top towards you? Can't remember now) you got a very similar effect. I don't applaud HP for the smaller tolerances, for sure, but it's an effect that can be noticed with even the 1910.

--janak

Andy Whiteford
02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
I still don't see why they switched from the screen on the h1910 which had smaller borders and was every bit as bright and vivid as the h1940/h4150 but without the yellow hue.
Actually, the 1910 screen will yellow, just at a greater angle. I held one a few days ago and noticed that by tilting it enough (maybe the other way, i.e., top towards you? Can't remember now) you got a very similar effect. I don't applaud HP for the smaller tolerances, for sure, but it's an effect that can be noticed with even the 1910.

--janak

Yes I noticed this too - the two opposite angles from the h1940 produce a similar effect on the h1910. The effect on the h1940 is just much more pronounced however and the two screens are night and day from an angle imo. Straight on though there isn't much in it.

PetiteFlower
02-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Seems like it varies from unit to unit too, some are worse then others. But that may be the user's tolerance too.

Andy Whiteford
02-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Seems like it varies from unit to unit too, some are worse then others. But that may be the user's tolerance too.

Yip I have read as much. I must say that both my h1940 and h4150 screens appear identical although from straight on the quality is superb and it isn't an issue for me - I came from an h1910.

JGRicci
02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
the yellow is nothing to worry about, the hp 4150 was the first pocketPC i ever bought, and believe me i looked at the complaints about the yellow.. so i decided to start using one.. yellow? what yellow, i don't even notice it, and neither will you. Everything stands out when you look for it. Relax and own a piece of sweet gadgetry.

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I upside-downed the 1935 screen with Nyditot and it actually looked much nicer. (maybe HP accidentally goofed and put the 1910 LCD in the 19XX upside-down :lol: )

shawnc
02-04-2004, 09:32 PM

This is absolutely true. BOTH factors PetiteFlower mentions should be considered.

the yellow is nothing to worry about, the hp 4150 was the first pocketPC i ever bought, and believe me i looked at the complaints about the yellow.. so i decided to start using one.. yellow? what yellow, i don't even notice it, and neither will you. Everything stands out when you look for it. Relax and own a piece of sweet gadgetry.

I partly agree. It is a sweet machine. But it IS noticable on some units, mine being one of them. I also think it depends on the app the user is in. Those who say it isn't noticable are likely the lucky ones. I can notice it on my machine but the machine is sooooo sweet that I have simply decided to live with it.