View Full Version : HD-based PPC?

gibb-a
02-04-2004, 12:06 AM
What do you guys think of the possibility of an HD-based PPC in the near future (1-2 years)?

I know there is speculation that the iPod is heading this way but I would love to have PPC do it first.

dmacburry2003
02-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Hard-disk based?

The iPod is HD based.

Anyway, I think it is very possible. With HD mp3 players as low as 100-200$, and Pocket PC's becoming VERY memory hungry (and that they have stayed at 32-64MB for a few years now), Microsoft will probably encourage OEMs to place hard drives in Pocket PC's.

gibb-a
02-04-2004, 12:24 AM
the iPod is heading this way but

Sorry, I didn't write that clearly. By "this way", I meant the iPod, which I know is HD-based, getting organizer functionality (and I realize that PPCs can do more).

I have a 256MB SD card in my iPAQ and jealous of the gigs of storage for music that those HD-based players have.

JustinGTP
02-04-2004, 12:28 AM
The iPod has some simple phone lists, and organizer... but I know what you mean, it isnt that good as the ppc.

You can get microdrives, but I really dont want my PPC to have an HD because of the fact of moving parts. I wanted something more realiable, like big flash memory.

-Justin.

arnage2
02-04-2004, 04:38 AM
i see hd pdas comming out with wm2004. I would expect a very premium price. $650 or more.

Kowalski
02-04-2004, 04:17 PM
NO WAY!!!
storage cards are evolving very fast and the low prices makes them ideal for pocketpc usage.
they dont have moving parts which are error prone, use much less power and less space. what else do you want?
the only drawback is capacity but this much is enough for me

tsb_hcy
02-04-2004, 06:10 PM
NO WAY!!!
storage cards are evolving very fast and the low prices makes them ideal for pocketpc usage.
they dont have moving parts which are error prone, use much less power and less space. what else do you want?
the only drawback is capacity but this much is enough for me

New MD's are very durable and within a year or so we'll have new battey types that give us more power than we need by far. It will be odd not to have a HD soon.

PetiteFlower
02-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't think PPCs are headed this way nor do I think they should. The Ipod has a tiny monochrome screen and uses a very simple processor. There is just no way that you could have a hard drive based PPC with the color screen and the 400+ mH processor and all the functions it does and expect it to have more then a 30 minute battery life, at least not with current battery technology. Moving parts are bad; they break if you drop them and they suck up battery life. You just can't have it all!