View Full Version : www.achilles-site.com feedback asked! SPECIAL PPT GIVEAWAY!

Peleus
02-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi All,

I am peleus, owner/admin of www.achilles-site.com

We are a user-based site, which focuses on Pocket PC’s, but also branches
out to a number of areas including PC gaming. We use a forum system to
allow our users to receive, and provide, support for their hardware and
software. Membership is free, which helps us develop and retain our user
base. With our rapid growth, we anticipate becoming a large community, and hope you can become a part of that community.

I asked you to check us out when you have the time and please post your thoughts regarding the site.

We have lots of giveaways and I hope to see lots of you registering!

for people who get to the site via this thread I have a special giveaway, please post in this thread:
PocketPCthoughts giveway at achilles-site (http://www.achilles-site.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2710#2710)

The url is www.achilles-site.com

See you online!

Peleus
02-04-2004, 02:20 PM
so more than 50 views and no replies yet, any thoughts?

Lotto
02-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Looks like a nice site. I like the colors as they aren't slam you in your face lime green or some such. As for the site itself, seems like a nice layout...pretty standard as most sites go. Don't see anything that makes it stand out.....good or bad. Will be hanging around watching it develop. Hard to say what a site is going to be like, many times the forums and those that post set the stage for the site itself. Looks like you are doing all the basics right! Good luck with the new site.

Kowalski
02-04-2004, 04:34 PM
not bad, but give it some time to get known

Peleus
02-04-2004, 07:48 PM
thank you!

I hope to have you both as active members to help set the "stage" right!

Regards,

Peleus
02-18-2004, 12:45 PM
*bumb*

LOL :D

still running and hoping to get some more entries before I announce winner! :lol:

Mitchybums
02-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Site looks nice, but when I clicked on the thread you posted to the foum, it was blank.

The website is kinda busy and crowded, and I would like to suggest to make it less cluttered. Instead of having the forum index on the main site, you might stick it underneath a button

It's nice with all the moving banners and scrolling things, but to be honest, it's not my style for an informative website.

I dont know if you already have it, but maybe its interesting to make a low bandwidth version or pda-screen sized version of the website as well. There should be plugins for phpnuke that can do this. The rss feed is a nice thing of Nuke, but with all the things on display it's too busy.

I am also missing a very important sales box, displaying the top10 best sales on some ppc website like pocketgear or handango. Especialy due to having a games orientated website for ppc, you might want to consider doing something like that yourself.
(manualy select the games that are populair on sales websites, and make your own list.

Hope it helps. If you want more suggestions, just let me know.

Jacob
02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
The whole middle of the page is blank for me (I'm using Mozilla Firefox 0.8 ) - I don't know why.

When I load the link in IE it works fine.

Sorry, but I'm more loyal to my browser than your site. If you can get it to work in Firefox then I'll take a closer look.

pdauser
02-18-2004, 06:19 PM
I mentioned this to them before, but they said they couldn't figure it out. The forums end up being in that crappy "friends" scrolling list. If you watch carefully you'll be able to read the forums.

Peleus
02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
yes Pdauser mentioned this to me, I really looked into it and it has to do with some

tags in the coding (thats what I heard) I am waiting on someone with full knoledge to help me fix this (believe me, I want it fixed asap!)

sorry for the incogvience!

pdauser
02-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Can't you just remove the "friends" list and see if that helps?

Jacob
02-18-2004, 06:28 PM
How doyou remove the friends list? I don't see a link to do that.

Or do you have to register in order to remove it?

Peleus
02-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I will remove it now, but only for an hour and see if it helps, please post back here because I don't use mozilla.

pdauser
02-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I actually was thinking the webmaster could remove the code from his site and then we could see if it works.

pdauser
02-18-2004, 06:33 PM
I will remove it now, but only for an hour and see if it helps, please post back here because I don't use mozilla.
That worked. I can see the forums in Firefox....

Peleus
02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
so it works fine now?

hmm looks like I am going to have to find me a new friend section!

pdauser
02-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes it works.

Too bad we had a falling out or I might care huh.... :roll:

Jacob
02-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Yup. I can confirm that it works now with Firfox 0.8 - without the friends part.

Peleus
02-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes it works.

Too bad we had a falling out or I might care huh.... :roll:

well I am sure you dont have problems with me :D or do you???? :roll:

I hope to see you around as I am sure you can ignore a certain user!

I will keep the friends section down and start looking for a better one!

thank you soo much for helping and pdauser for the solution!

pdauser
02-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't call it a solution. The solution would be figuring out how to get the friends part to work with Firefox.

Personally I think the site is better off without scrolling or other "flashy" things that take away from the content.

Peleus
02-18-2004, 07:20 PM
good point, I am in the process ot getting me a static logo!

the friends section won't be scrolling!

thanks again!

pdauser
02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm curious why the friends section is so important?

Peleus
02-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Cause other sites have them too and they have my button on it, In return I place their button on my site.

Its something I like for promotion and let people know about other good sites.

pdauser
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Oh so if a user clicks on the friends logo, the site that you end up going to gives your site credit?

Peleus
02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
what do you mean?

in some cases they count the hits coming in. with some company badget (i don't have one) they can give your a precentage of the sales that they got via your site, but the main use it to lead people to other good sites.

pdauser
02-18-2004, 07:39 PM
What I meant was the list could be dynamic and your site could show up higher in the list. IE more people from your site visit BostonPocketPC.com and your button shows up in their list right?

Peleus
02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
on some site that is the case, not on mine though (maybe in the new one :D )